Ashland 2016

Ram

The only way I would go with Ratliff at QB over Adkins is if Ratliff is leaps and bounds the better player. If the gap between them is marginal, I think you've got to go with Adkins. Ratliff is more versatile and can play RB, WR and be a shutdown corner. Adkins seems like true QB all the way. If he doesn't start, I'm not sure what else you do with him.

Not sure which way they'll go with. I like your reasoning, I think Adkins is a pure passer and Ratliff would be a weapon other places, but I don't think they brought him in for anything other than qb. He took quite a few snaps last year behind Dowdy. I think if they look at both qbs during camp, they should pick the best choice. Go Cats.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way I would go with Ratliff at QB over Adkins is if Ratliff is leaps and bounds the better player. If the gap between them is marginal, I think you've got to go with Adkins. Ratliff is more versatile and can play RB, WR and be a shutdown corner. Adkins seems like true QB all the way. If he doesn't start, I'm not sure what else you do with him.

I think there is no doubt that going into camp Braxton would be the presumptive starter. He probably took nearly half the varsity snaps last year and did a good job. Although he and Will (Adkins) are both Sophomores, Braxton is more than a year older and probably a little more physically mature. I'm sure he (Braxton) has an edge in foot speed, but Will is quick and has excellent mechanics. Of course I am prejudiced, but I believe (as DevilMayCare says in his post) that Wilol is more "pure QB". He has excellent footwork and mechanics. Reads defenses well. Strong and accurate arm, both as drop back passer or roll out in either direction. Runs the option well too. He is big, and strong, can take the hit and still deliver the pass. And even though he doesn't possess blazing speed :-) he is a strong runner. Braxton is an excellent athlete and a good QB. I think it would be great to have them both in the lineup, enjoying and utilizing their various skill sets together for the next three years! That's one Kentuckian (and Grandpa's) opinion! However it turns out, Go Tomcats!

My biggest concern isn't who is going to be the qb. My biggest concern is who will protect the qb. With the entire offensive line graduating, what will this years line look like. It all starts with them. You could have Peyton Manning back there, but if you don't have a line, it doesn't matter whose calling the plays. JMO

• 2 weeks later...
My biggest concern isn't who is going to be the qb. My biggest concern is who will protect the qb. With the entire offensive line graduating, what will this years line look like. It all starts with them. You could have Peyton Manning back there, but if you don't have a line, it doesn't matter whose calling the plays. JMO

Did you get a chance to see many JV games last year? What names could we expect to see doing the blocking up front this year?

Did you get a chance to see many JV games last year? What names could we expect to see doing the blocking up front this year?

The best I can guess, some of the names you should hear on the line this year are: TJ Love, Michael Burgess, Will Carol, Tamir and Bryce Wright. Hopefully, these "hogs" can blow open some holes and protect the qb to allow playmakers to make plays.

Ashland as in most years doesn't lack for athletes. It's the line play that decides good years and bad to average ones. Just looking at it you would think they will be down this year but I have a feeling Ashland is going to surprise a lot of people this year.

While I was their they were doing station drills in small groups. Hard in shorts and helmets to tell who is who but Burgess is large. Had quit a few bigger kids. Coburn has added muscle and looks quick as did Roberts. Saw QBs taking snaps. Ratliff and Adkins will be a good battle if the coaches haven't already mad up their mind.

FWIW, I talked to someone the other day who used to be very involved in the Tomcat program, and he stated that Will Adkins is the best QB he's ever coached. He said Ratliff may be the better athlete, but he would use him in the backfield and use Adkins as the QB. He stated while Adkins isn't exactly blessed with speed, he is very good at the read option, and the defense would have to respect him as a runner. He also stated that Adkins is a big, strong kid that can complete passes down field with defenders hanging all over him. He said he's a lot like Ben Roethlissberger in that while he's not very fast, he can break thru tackles, and scramble for first downs when needed.

Edited by LRCW

I was able to show up for the later part of practice. Lineman were working on one end and backs and recievers were on the other. Some nice size lineman, but only a couple. I saw a lot of dropped balls by the receivers. Dowdy looked consistent catching passes. Ratliff and Adkins were rotating throwing. In 7x7, it looked to me like Adkins had the edge throwing the ball, he just had a lot of dropped passes. Ratliff, on the other hand, did have some nice throws, but seemed to miss quite a few recievers. I will say, on the last part of practice, going up tempo, up and down the field, Ratliff and Adkins both looked good with only one under thrown ball. But other than that, they both looked good.