Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Majority of Super Bowl 50 rosters were 3 star recruits not 4 and 5 star

Featured Replies

Not surprising. There are a couple hundred 4 and 5 star kids every year, and a thousand plus three stars. Plus recruiting rankings in football are a joke...

Not surprising. There are a couple hundred 4 and 5 star kids every year, and a thousand plus three stars. Plus recruiting rankings in football are a joke...

This. Football is also more difficult to gauge with physical maturation.

Agree. There is too much stock placed on the official "star rating" system for the recruiting process. A lot of good players fly under the radar because they don't attend combines, especially the ones that play multiple sports. Which, in essence, is driving the specialization of athletes even earlier.

It also makes sense when you consider how many more 3 star bodies there are.

You can say what you want about how star ratings are a joke. All I know is the teams at the top of the recruiting rankings are usually decent football teams (insert sarcasm) with a lot of 4 and 5 star recruits.

There were how many 5 star kids this year? maybe 10 total, not a lot of 4 or 5 stars out there. It would be interesting to see the percentage breakdown. I am guessing most 5 star kids and a boat load of 4 star kids end up in the NFL

I believe work ethic comes into play as well. 3 star kids probably want it a little more and work harder than those players more gifted. I'm not saying this is the case with all 5 star recruits, but I would bet those 3 star guys might have more inner drive in most cases. Just my thoughts?

It is just a numbers game... 4 & 5 stars are much more likely, by percentages, to wind up in the league than 3 star guys.

I believe work ethic comes into play as well. 3 star kids probably want it a little more and work harder than those players more gifted. I'm not saying this is the case with all 5 star recruits, but I would bet those 3 star guys might have more inner drive in most cases. Just my thoughts?

 

I don't think there's any way you can definitively say the average 3 star guy works harder or wants it more than a 5 star. You don't get a 5 star rating by just having the physical measurements. 5 star guys have to put in a bunch of work to be 5 star

Matt Elam for UK was a 5 start recruit :ohbrother:... Sometimes the rating system can be a little off

Strong side my point exactly. I think some 5 star players don't excel because they get to complacent. I'm not saying all by any means, but sometimes those players have had it so easy because they were so much better in high school. Everybody can play at the major D-1 level and there are many reasons why I'm sure. There are larger Numbers of 3 star players so they obviously have the biggest pool to pick from when it comes to the league. It's hard to earn a 4-5 star rating coming out of high school.

Strong side my point exactly. I think some 5 star players don't excel because they get to complacent. I'm not saying all by any means, but sometimes those players have had it so easy because they were so much better in high school. Everybody can play at the major D-1 level and there are many reasons why I'm sure. There are larger Numbers of 3 star players so they obviously have the biggest pool to pick from when it comes to the league. It's hard to earn a 4-5 star rating coming out of high school.

 

Sure some 5 stars get complacent and wash out. But I don't think it has anything to do with how much "better" they were than their peers in high school. Even 3 star guys are easily the best player on the field most of the time, and have it "easy" in high school. You can go to a whole season of high school football games and only see a couple 3 star guys. If you're on mid to high level D1 radar, you are more than likely a stud.

 

Everybody can play at the major D-1 level and there are many reasons why I'm sure

 

If everybody could play at the D1 level, there'd be more D1 schools. It's simply not true. Most guys aren't big enough, strong enough, fast enough or whatever, and no matter how hard they work, that won't change.

It is simple... There are more 3 stars in the NFL for one reason and one reason only - not because they work harder or are less entitled. It is because there are a TON more 3 stars than there are 4 & 5. A 4 & 5 stars have a higher likelihood of getting to the league than 3 stars.

 

As much as we like to rip recruiting services, by and large they are pretty good at identifying elite players. They make more mistakes in the 2 to 3 range, IMO. Overall, they are pretty good.

Von Miller was a 4*.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.