Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Johnson Central 27 Belfry 3 (Varsity Scrimmage)

Featured Replies

Problems within the Red Army is a good thing. Other than the obvious seniors last season , #20 was the only player that stood out. How did #20 do he's a linebacker and RB.

Belfry needs to learn to defend the short passing game and pass some themselves because Ivan learned last year these (skill players ) are the keys to beating back the Red Army. See you in November , hope it isn't as cold as last two years.

 

Believe me there aren't many problems with the Big Red machine..Haywood will have the team in shape come season start, It was just a scrimmage and Belfry will be fine, If I were the Red Devils, I would worry about my own team, and not about the Pirates..I hope it is colder than it was the last two years, there is nothing like football in November when its so cold you can barely stand it.

  • Replies 61
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know scrimmages are scrimages and all and you use different players at different positions to see how you fair in a real game situation. But it is played to win, right? Thats why we keep score. Alot of teams say they use the first five games of the season getting ready for district play. Does that mean if they loose, they are still working out the kinks? That you can't count that against them? I am not knocking on Belfry at all here guys alot of teams around here think scrimmages don't matter if you win or loose.

Believe me there aren't many problems with the Big Red machine..Haywood will have the team in shape come season start, It was just a scrimmage and Belfry will be fine, If I were the Red Devils, I would worry about my own team, and not about the Pirates..I hope it is colder than it was the last two years, there is nothing like football in November when its so cold you can barely stand it.

 

I have no doubt that Belfry will have a great season...Of all people, Russell fans should know that our coaches use these as practices to try things and look at players in different positions/situations...I wouldn't hang my hopes or base my season on how a scrimmage in early August goes...If that were the case, Russell would probably dread every varsity season based on the JV record from the previous year...

 

Every year I see a lot of teams win most of their scrimmages & JV games & lose most of their varsity games...At the same time I see certain teams that play "ok" at scrimmages (maybe "win", maybe play "even") and win about half of their JV games, but they are always in the hunt for a state championship at the varsity level...Those are the teams where the coaches "get it"...I'd say Coach Haywood falls in that category along with Coach McGlone...:thumb:

I know scrimmages are scrimages and all and you use different players at different positions to see how you fair in a real game situation. But it is played to win, right? Thats why we keep score. Alot of teams say they use the first five games of the season getting ready for district play. Does that mean if they loose, they are still working out the kinks? That you can't count that against them? I am not knocking on Belfry at all here guys alot of teams around here think scrimmages don't matter if you win or loose.
I am a JC fan who has watched several JC-Belfry scrimmages over the years, and the best Belfry has done in the scrimmages that I have seen has been to play even. In most years, Belfry was a much better team at the end of the season and would have pounded JC in a real game. I have learned not to pay much attention to the results of this scrimmage.

 

However, I believe that when the dust settles at the end of this season, JC will have a better team than Belfry. That is no knock on Belfry because they should be very competitive in 2A again. Johnson Central returns a lot of experience and depth this season and if they can improve in the turnover department, they have a very good shot at an undefeated regular season. I will not be surprised if the Golden Eagles emerge as the primary challenger to Rockcastle County for the regional title. The fact that it appears that sophomore Ian Welch will be a backup QB instead of a starting RB tells me that JC is loaded this season and its backfield will be even stronger over the next two or three years.

 

Strange things can happen in season openers, but if JC wins its opener on the road against 4A North Laurel, the Golden Eagles should be favored in every remaining regular season game, including a home game against Ashland. Barring key injuries, this should be a very special season for JC.

I know scrimmages are scrimages and all and you use different players at different positions to see how you fair in a real game situation. But it is played to win, right? Thats why we keep score.

 

Not really, but you'd have to watch one of their scrimmages to really understand. I've seen quite a few Belfry scrimmages and I feel pretty comfortable in saying that "winning" isn't their goal in a scrimmage. It really is just a glorified practice session against a live opponent, something you can't get in practice against your 2nd team.

 

They never use the clock, no score is kept and they don't use down/distance format, they use the alternating 10 plays format. They don't have a guy upstairs, all position coaches are on the field working with their own groups. I've seen them hold up play in between snaps to work with somebody on a blocking scheme or some other point they are missing. They'll use any combination of players at any given time and they are looking at individual performances and not team successes.

 

Their play selection is nothing like it would be in a game and it isn't designed to score touchdowns. They will run more of the stuff that they are weak at than the things they are doing well because they know they need to work on that more.

 

It may seem foreign or unorthodox to some, and it is the furthest thing in the world from a win-at-all-costs attitude, but it is what it is. And you'd be hard pressed to argue with the past results. And following Coach Haywood's philosophy, they are doing everything they can to get a little bit better every day, every time they take the field.

None of that is to suggest they take a half-speed attitude towards their effort, not at all. The kids are all expected to go full speed and give 100%. It just isn't designed to be a "game", and most Belfry fans are accustomed to it.

58 how can you pass up this chance to tweak the Red Army.

 

Belfry can play football ... no question about it ... most in 2A are only playing a partial game of football. Belfry will be fine ... They didn't shake our hands after they beat us in 2004 and I still remember. I did shake their hands last year ... We ain't even yet ...

 

No one answered my question about Belfry's #20 , how did he do ?

May (#20) was solid, as usual.

 

As to 2004, if they didn't shake your hands, I know it was not by design or intended as any form of disrespect. Coach Haywood and Coach McGlone are both very classy and they run classy programs. Belfry ALWAYS shakes hands and I can't remember an exception.

 

The only reason I could possibly think of for them not shaking hands in 2004 would be the giant fan rush onto the field after the game that might have made it impossible. I haven't checked the tape, but if you say so, that is the only conceivable reason I could think of. Don't take it as an insult, I know it wasn't intended as one if it happened that way.

One also has to remember that was the last game at Vipperman Stadium which would make it very understandable as to why the team could have got caught up in the big win and could have been distracted by the fans. Especially considering how much that game meant to the Belfry community and it being the last game at Vippermen Stadium.

Strange things can happen in season openers, but if JC wins its opener on the road against 4A North Laurel, the Golden Eagles should be favored in every remaining regular season game, including a home game against Ashland. Barring key injuries, this should be a very special season for JC.

 

I will say that if JCHS is already playing this well this early, they really could be in a for a very special season. Matney has sure turned that program around in a very short period of time.

I hear that JCHS will be unstopable this year :flame:

  • Author

Central fans (of all people), get real. We are real, so please, enough of this nonsense and appeasment. I don't know about all the hyperbole, but if Belfry was just experimenting and practicing, they better go back to the drawing board. I could have just been seeing things, or just been assuming too much, but I could have sworn that Belfry lined their starters up. Then I was pretty sure I saw Central stomp the daylights out of whoever was wearing the red jerseys, and was pretty sure I saw about 500 Belfry fans across the way mumbing back and forth, and a couple times even halfway standing up, only to sit right back down again. Hell, we deserve this. I didn't realize that all those people came out to watch the second string get beat up like that. The weird thing was that the Belfry players on the sidelines were smaller (much smaller) than the players they practiced for 2 hours, as anyone who was there knows. Those real starters (small, but quick I suppose) probably could've used a few snaps, rather than letting those big second stringers play the whole varsity practice. Here's what I know: whoever was representing Belfry, well, they received a good practice..."schooled", as it were (nice new school too...beautiful..folks, if you haven't seen it, just go). Invite us back up in October for a practice and we'll do it again. Eagles, stay focused on your "practice" against Shelby Valley Friday night, and if you decide to make it a game instead of a practice, we fans will appreciate it. Woo Hoo!! Not much to brag about on this side of the creek for the last 40 years, at least consistently, until now. You have the opportunity to be the best team ever to play for Johnson Central, and you will as long as you realize your best can always get better. Listen to your wonderful coach, stay focused on your state championship, and work your butts a little harder each and every week. You listening Pook? By the way, you scrimmaged a great 2A school (really great...just playing with you guys) who won't play you in a real regular season game, for whatever reason. Maybe next year? I know for a fact, its not us. Regardless, the competition is gonna get alot tougher, knockin' heads with the big boys every week. This is 3A, a big step up, working your way through the Ashlands, and Bell Counties, and Rockcastles. Its your year. You have about 15 more butts to kick, and then you'll have something no football team in this county has ever experienced. That little mental break, feelin' all good about yourselves last year, cost you dearly. You have a little "unfinished business". They can bring the game, you bring the pain!

Central fans (of all people), get real. We are real, so please, enough of this nonsense and appeasment. I don't know about all the hyperbole, but if Belfry was just experimenting and practicing, they better go back to the drawing board. I could have just been seeing things, or just been assuming too much, but I could have sworn that Belfry lined their starters up. Then I was pretty sure I saw Central stomp the daylights out of whoever was wearing the red jerseys, and was pretty sure I saw about 500 Belfry fans across the way mumbing back and forth, and a couple times even halfway standing up, only to sit right back down again. Hell, we deserve this. I didn't realize that all those people came out to watch the second string get beat up like that. The weird thing was that the Belfry players on the sidelines were smaller (much smaller) than the players they practiced for 2 hours, as anyone who was there knows. Those real starters (small, but quick I suppose) probably could've used a few snaps, rather than letting those big second stringers play the whole varsity practice. Here's what I know: whoever was representing Belfry, well, they received a good practice..."schooled", as it were (nice new school too...beautiful..folks, if you haven't seen it, just go). Invite us back up in October for a practice and we'll do it again. Eagles, stay focused on your "practice" against Shelby Valley Friday night, and if you decide to make it a game instead of a practice, we fans will appreciate it. Woo Hoo!! Not much to brag about on this side of the creek for the last 40 years, at least consistently, until now. You have the opportunity to be the best team ever to play for Johnson Central, and you will as long as you realize your best can always get better. Listen to your wonderful coach, stay focused on your state championship, and work your asses a little harder each and every week. You listening Pook? By the way, you scrimmaged a great 2A school (really great...just playing with you guys) who won't play you in a real regular season game, for whatever reason. Maybe next year? I know for a fact, its not us. Regardless, the competition is gonna get alot tougher, knockin' heads with the big boys every week. This is 3A, a big step up, working your way through the Ashlands, and Bell Counties, and Rockcastles. Its your year. You have about 15 more butts to kick, and then you'll have something no football team in this county has ever experienced. That little mental break, feelin' all good about yourselves last year, cost you dearly. You have a little "unfinished business". They can bring the game, you bring the pain!
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't JC's total number of wins against Belfry one? (Granted, there was a very controversial field goal in the mid-70s that cost JC another win, but I think we have only one win in the books.) I am not sure, but I believe that the Golden Eagle teams coached by both Bill Tom Ross and Bruce Humphrey won scrimmages against Belfry. Things have changed since JC hired Jim Matney, to be sure, but the team has not accomplished enough on the field yet to be talking smack to the players and fans of a team that has recently won two state championships.

 

The Golden Eagles have a great mix of talented young players and experienced upper classmen and I am looking forward to this season more than any since 2000, but let's keep expectations real and not make too much of a good performance in a preseason scrimmage. Belfry has lost its share of scrimmages over the years and won more than its share of playoff games. I would gladly trade two lost scrimmages for two playoff wins.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't JC's total number of wins against Belfry one? (Granted, there was a very controversial field goal in the mid-70s that cost JC another win, but I think we have only one win in the books.) I am not sure, but I believe that the Golden Eagle teams coached by both Bill Tom Ross and Bruce Humphrey won scrimmages against Belfry. Things have changed since JC hired Jim Matney, to be sure, but the team has not accomplished enough on the field yet to be talking smack to the players and fans of a team that has recently won two state championships.

 

The Golden Eagles have a great mix of talented young players and experienced upper classmen and I am looking forward to this season more than any since 2000, but let's keep expectations real and not make too much of a good performance in a preseason scrimmage. Belfry has lost its share of scrimmages over the years and won more than its share of playoff games. I would gladly trade two lost scrimmages for two playoff wins.

:thumb: If I'm not mistaken I think JC has only beaten Lawrence Co. once in school history. And every body keeps talking about what a great season they had last year . Well I think LC went as deep into the play offs as did JC . So I guess we had a great season also well I don't think we did not with are Triadition but I can see JC starting to get things in order but I think its way to early to be talking state Champions thiers a little team down in Rockcastle Co that might have something to say about that and I know the Bluebirds will from up north. Jc better come down to earth and play one game at a time.:jump:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.