February 5, 201610 yr "I love Cincinnati," Jones told NFL Media's Scott Hanson on Wednesday. "...But at the same time, I am a free agent. It wouldn't be good for me not to test the waters a little bit. It's just an exciting process." As is the case with most impending free agents, Jones has no interest in offering the Bengals a hometown discount. He plans to "look at all angles" on the market, hoping an irresistible opportunity presents itself. His best chance of getting overpaid might just be following Hue Jackson to Cleveland, filling a need for a Browns franchise that struggles to find playmakers year-in and year-out. Bengals WR Marvin Jones excited to test free agency - NFL.com
February 5, 201610 yr Marvin would look nice stretching the field and opening up the middle for Gronk and Jules in New England....Won't happen as it's not the Patriot way, but man he'd be lethal there.
February 5, 201610 yr Most reports say he is asking for 7M a year. I think he will get it and the Bengals won't offer that much. They can get Sanu much cheaper. He'll be a Brownie
February 5, 201610 yr This dude has been in the league for 4 years, has 134 catches for 1,729 yards, has never caught more than 65 catches in a season, nor has ever had more than 816 yards in a season...and wants to break the bank? Have at it kid. Good luck doing your thing when a WR the caliber of #18 isn't on the other side. I don't blame he nor his agent for wanting "to have fun with the process", but I also hope the Bengals tell him once he passes on their final offer to enjoy the process, their offer is off the table.
February 5, 201610 yr Let him go, find a way to draft Michael Thomas of OSU and call it a day. Last mock draft I saw had Braxton Miller going to the Bengals. I've also seen Corey Coleman in that spot.
February 5, 201610 yr Last mock draft I saw had Braxton Miller going to the Bengals. I've also seen Corey Coleman in that spot. It should be interesting. I was going by WR rankings and didn't think Coleman would be there at 24. Who knows? Everybody who creates a mock draft has different opinions.
February 5, 201610 yr This dude has been in the league for 4 years, has 134 catches for 1,729 yards, has never caught more than 65 catches in a season, nor has ever had more than 816 yards in a season...and wants to break the bank? Have at it kid. Good luck doing your thing when a WR the caliber of #18 isn't on the other side. I don't blame he nor his agent for wanting "to have fun with the process", but I also hope the Bengals tell him once he passes on their final offer to enjoy the process, their offer is off the table. Sometimes you all need to look deeper into things. Its the same reason I preached all last off season that the Bengals have a true #2 in Marvin Jones, when people were wanting the Bengals to get a WR. Marvin Jones big problems has been staying healthy, when he has been healthy he has produced. Think about it before Dalton actually turned the corner this year, he had Dalton as the QB who everyone complained about for years. Dalton was a guy who stared down players, and try to force throws into people. Then when you also add in a pro bowl Tight End in Eifert to go along with a pro bowler in Green and you see why he may not be one getting 100 catches, 1000 yards, etc. When I look at Marvin Jones I see someone who can stretch the field, someone who has showed he can make very tough catches. Just look at some of his catches he made the last few weeks with McCarron at QB. So looking at things just based off numbers is very flawed IMO. Just look at Jones for Green Bay, he was a guy who looks great with Rodgers throwing him the ball, but couldn't even stay on a team for any other NFL team. Look at the WR's for Brees through the years, his WR's put up huge numbers but then the ones who leave for other teams never do to much again. Just look at basically every WR with Tom Brady, they look great for him but when they leave they don't do to much. Deion Branch was a super bowl MVP, and he leaves and doesn't do anything, etc. At the end of the day and this is just my opinion. However Marvin Jones has shown he can be a big time receiver, but he will never have those top numbers in Cincinnati with Green opposite of him and Eifert. He is a guy IMO who is a lot like in the Emmanuel Sanders mold. A very good receiver, he may never be truly elite but is one of the better wr's in the league who can produce even better numbers with more opportunities.
February 5, 201610 yr Most reports say he is asking for 7M a year. I think he will get it and the Bengals won't offer that much. They can get Sanu much cheaper. He'll be a Brownie If he is only asking for 7 million a year, I think the Bengals will sign him back. The Bengals value him a lot and 7 million I could see them paying. I believe that number could get much higher on the open market though, and I think he and his agent know that and why he would be smart to test it out. Which if it gets higher than that, then I don't think the Bengals will match. I see some team out there offering him around ten million a year like Mike Wallace got a few years ago from Miami. So sadly I do think we will lose him. The amount of money it will cost will make the Bengals lose him, and honestly I think he wants a chance to be more of the main guy to try to produce bigger numbers to get an even bigger contract after this.
February 5, 201610 yr FutureCoach, we will revisit your guy when his metamorphosis into Jerome Simpson is fully complete. I do appreciate the tutorial on looking deeper though, thanks.
February 5, 201610 yr Author I don't believe Marvin is worth 7 million a year (or anything close to that) to the Bengals. FC brings up some good points and I would hate to lose Jones but the Bengals need someone that can be more consistent in the #2 position. I would love to see Marvin go to the Browns. And MTGL, do you really think the Bengals will handle Jones that way (offer off the table) or they will let him test the waters a bit and then chat him up?
February 5, 201610 yr FutureCoach, we will revisit your guy when his metamorphosis into Jerome Simpson is fully complete. I do appreciate the tutorial on looking deeper though, thanks. I don't believe Marvin is worth 7 million a year (or anything close to that) to the Bengals. FC brings up some good points and I would hate to lose Jones but the Bengals need someone that can be more consistent in the #2 position. I would love to see Marvin go to the Browns. And MTGL, do you really think the Bengals will handle Jones that way (offer off the table) or they will let him test the waters a bit and then chat him up? I think people underestimate how hard it is to find a good true #2 receiver. You look around the league and there are very few, especially without a QB who makes the receivers better. As great as Dalton was this year, which was great. I think people are over selling him like he is an elite QB's. IMO elite Qb's can make their WR's better, and can throw open receivers when they are tightly covered. I think people forget that Dalton is not that type of QB, Dalton needs very talented players around him for him to play well. Its not a coincidence IMO that Daltons best two years in the NFL came the only two years that Marvin Jones took all the reps at the #2 receiver. In 2013 Dalton threw for over 30 tds and that was before Eifert became such a threat, and Jones had 10 tds. 2014 Jones doesn't play and Dalton looks average again. Then this year Jones plays and Dalton has a MVP type year. When Jones has played, Dalton has played at his best since people want to talk about the stats. While Sanu can do a lot of things, Dalton has not been at his best when Sanu is the number 2 and not Jones. So its just me but if takes 7 million a year to keep Jones then I sign him and let Sanu walk. However if it does get to be more than 7 million a year, then I wouldn't sign Jones back.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.