Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengals WR Marvin Jones excited to test free agency

Featured Replies

All depends on fit.

 

If Jones goes somewhere where he's looked at to be "the guy", it's going to be a bad investment. If he goes somewhere to fill a role (NE as I mentioned earlier), or be a #2 (let's just use Oakland as an example) he'll be worth it.

I will also add this. When you have pro bowlers like Green and Eifert and a head coach who would rather run the ball and be balanced. The Chances of you also having a number 2 receiver that is going to put up 90 catches and over 1000 yards are very slim. Which if that happens then chances are Eiferts numbers aren't as good, or Green's, and or both. The fact that we had a receiver in Jones who still had over 60 catches which was only 20 less catches than Green, and 800 yards with 4 tds is pretty good. Especially when you are also throwing the ball to Green, Eifert, and Bernard out of the backfield while also trying to run the ball at a 50/50 split each game.

 

I guess my question is what do you think a #2 receivers numbers should look like in this offense, with so many others also getting the ball? Should the number 2 receivers numbers be better than 65 catches Jones had, and 800 yards receiving? To put things in perspective Sanu in 2014 who was the #2 receiver all year, and had a few games when he was the #1 receiver still only had 56 catches and less than 800 yards receiving. I think you all will see that Jones is more important to this team than you all realize, and is better than you all realize and won't be easy to replace. Especially when Dalton's play is so much better when Jones plays.

All depends on fit.

 

If Jones goes somewhere where he's looked at to be "the guy", it's going to be a bad investment. If he goes somewhere to fill a role (NE as I mentioned earlier), or be a #2 (let's just use Oakland as an example) he'll be worth it.

 

I agree. As I mentioned before he reminds me a lot of Emmanuel Sanders. Sanders when he was with Pittsburgh was never considered a #1 guy, but was a very good receiver but was stuck with other WR's like Mike Wallace and Brown during his time with the Steelers. However he goes to Denver, and he has shown how good he is with the more opportunities he gets. Sanders is not an elite WR, but is very good and one of the best WR's in the NFL. I think Jones with another team in the right situation as you said, would get more opportunities and show that he is better than I think people realize. Also I think Cincy fans would realize he meant more to this offense than people realize.

Last mock draft I saw had Braxton Miller going to the Bengals. I've also seen Corey Coleman in that spot.

 

The Bengals better take Eli Apple at that spot and let Miller go.

 

As a receiver, going to Cleveland is career suicide. Better go where you have a QB that has some talent.

Last mock draft I saw had Braxton Miller going to the Bengals. I've also seen Corey Coleman in that spot.

I think Braxton Miller would be perfect for the Bengal offense

The Bengals better take Eli Apple at that spot and let Miller go.

 

As a receiver, going to Cleveland is career suicide. Better go where you have a QB that has some talent.

Curious why you'd want another corner?

  • Author
Curious why you'd want another corner?

 

Pacman is at the end, Dre doesn't get it done, Leon is overpriced and old, and Darqueze hasn't shown us much yet and he is coming back from injury.

I don't believe Marvin is worth 7 million a year (or anything close to that) to the Bengals.

 

FC brings up some good points and I would hate to lose Jones but the Bengals need someone that can be more consistent in the #2 position.

 

I would love to see Marvin go to the Browns.

 

And MTGL, do you really think the Bengals will handle Jones that way (offer off the table) or they will let him test the waters a bit and then chat him up?

 

If he doesn't get a good offer from the Browns, he is overpriced. Hue knows how good he is and won't offer if he thinks he is not worth it. Hue will tell us the value of bengals offensive players by who the Browns go after.

This dude has been in the league for 4 years, has 134 catches for 1,729 yards, has never caught more than 65 catches in a season, nor has ever had more than 816 yards in a season...and wants to break the bank? Have at it kid. Good luck doing your thing when a WR the caliber of #18 isn't on the other side.

 

I don't blame he nor his agent for wanting "to have fun with the process", but I also hope the Bengals tell him once he passes on their final offer to enjoy the process, their offer is off the table.

 

THIS a thousand times. MJ is an ok receiver and nothing more. If he signs somewhere else, I don't think the Bengals lose any sleep. If he stays with the Bengals at a decent price, fine but I don't see the Bengals getting into a bidding war on him. With the QB situation in Cleveland right now, any WR better get paid A LOT to go there as a free agent.

THIS a thousand times. MJ is an ok receiver and nothing more. If he signs somewhere else, I don't think the Bengals lose any sleep. If he stays with the Bengals at a decent price, fine but I don't see the Bengals getting into a bidding war on him. With the QB situation in Cleveland right now, any WR better get paid A LOT to go there as a free agent.

 

Daltons best two years has came when Jones plays. When Jones doesn't play, Dalton hasn't looked great. No number 2 receiver is ever going to put up pro bowl numbers when you have a coach who wants to be balanced, and an elite wr in Green and a top te in Eifert. I think people will feel much different about Jones and how important he is if he leaves.

Reggie Nelson is probably going to want 5 to 7 million a year. Imo it makes much more sense paying Jones his 7 million a year than it does paying Nelson.

 

The Bengals actually have the money to pay Jones and not hurt their chances at losing out on other players that they need to keep. Andre Smiths big contract will be gone, Halls big contract will be gone, etc. Let Nelson walk, let Hall walk, let Sanu walk and you can still then sign people like Illoka, PacMan, and Jones and others. The Bengals have put theirselves in great financial situations to be able sign guys like this back and it still wouldn't be hurting their future.

Daltons best two years has came when Jones plays. When Jones doesn't play, Dalton hasn't looked great. No number 2 receiver is ever going to put up pro bowl numbers when you have a coach who wants to be balanced, and an elite wr in Green and a top te in Eifert. I think people will feel much different about Jones and how important he is if he leaves.

 

We'll see. I just think he is no better than a decent NFL receiver and very replaceable. Certainly more easy to replace than Eifert or Green.

We'll see. I just think he is no better than a decent NFL receiver and very replaceable. Certainly more easy to replace than Eifert or Green.

 

Well no duh lol. Green is on track to be a hall of famer and Eifert probably will be a pro bowler most years. Which is why I think people are under valuing how good Jones is. Jones right now is the third option behind them two, so no number 2 wr here is going to put up pro bowl numbers. However it is very easy to find someone who doesn't produce even as much as Jones does. Jones had 65 catches over 800 yards and 4 tds even with those other two guys being the primary reads each play. However when he was thrown the ball, he was able to make plays and make catches on passes that only good wrs can make and not just some other wrs can jump in and do.

 

I said it before but I think to many people seen how good Dalton was this year and assume he can do that with other guys. However Dalton is not elite like that. Elite qbs make their wrs look better. Dalton needs a lot of talent around him for him to look better. Let's not forget a guy like McCarron with no experience went in and looked very good agaisnt the Super Champs defense and made the plays that should have won a playoff game too. He was able to do that because of the talent to throw too, just like Dalton looked elite with that talent to throw to. Daltons two best years happen to be the only two years Jones was the number 2 wr.

Imo the Bengals have built for the future and also built to win now. They have the money to do that and sign Jones back, so why just let a talented young guy leave? Signing him back for 7 million a year is not a bad thing. In fact signing him back is a lot better move than paying the 5 million a year they are for Boling.

 

Without Jones this offense will still be good. With Jones we already know this offense is elite then. It's been proven Dalton is better with Jones too. Sanu two years ago even with more whole Jones was out still didn't even produce as much as Jones. That's because its not as easy to replace Jones production as some of you all seem to think.

 

It's funny before the 2013 season people complained because the Bengals didn't pay the 9 million a year to try to get a Mike Wallace. Now people rather the Bengals not pay to keep a proven number 2 wr for them that had made them a top 10 offense both years he started.

Never fails the Bengals will let a good person in the community leave the team while they keep resigning guys like Pacman.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.