Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NFL Officiating

Featured Replies

I think the NFL game is almost impossible to officiate properly any more. The athletes are so incredibly fast and strong and the officials are asked to look for so much now than they used to and we have incredible technology that can now see every play from every angle in incredible slo-mo detail, that we are totally unfair in saying that officiating is awful.

 

I agree that a lot of plays are missed but the human eye can only process so much when things are moving soooooo fast. Officials are asked to see if a guy gets two feet down AND make sure he is not bobbling the ball even slightly when landing - almost impossible to see both. Hits over the middle (did the guy lead with his head or shoulder or did the guy hit the head or shoulder) are almost impossible to see with the naked eye.

 

Just my two cents...I also think hits on a defenseless receivers should automatically be reviewed. Officials are just guessing in most cases now. Throw the flag and then review it. Pick it up if it was a legal hit and it just looked bad. The penalty is too severe to not get it right...

Referees throw flags or call fouls for something they think will happen. As much as they get paid, they have to be right, no one makes them take the job.

  • Author

What does what they make have anything to do with how hard the job is? They are considered the best or they would not have the job. The guys in the playoffs are considered the best of the best.

  • Author

Oh and BTW, NFL officials don't make that much. Most of them have other full time jobs...

Oh and BTW, NFL officials don't make that much. Most of them have other full time jobs...

Average $175k per year. They are doing ok. They have other jobs because they can.

Referees throw flags or call fouls for something they think will happen. As much as they get paid, they have to be right, no one makes them take the job.

Which is why they often consult with the other officials and they all give input on some perceived penalties and we see a lot of flags picked up.

I'd like to have a full-time job I can be at only 4 days a week and then go out and pick up an additional $175,000 a year on the side. Yes its high pressure, high scrutiny, and fast paced, but that's enough for most of is to thrive, not live, on a year. They signed up for big boy ball, they deserve big boy criticism.

  • Author
I'd like to have a full-time job I can be at only 4 days a week and then go out and pick up an additional $175,000 a year on the side. Yes its high pressure, high scrutiny, and fast paced, but that's enough for most of is to thrive, not live, on a year. They signed up for big boy ball, they deserve big boy criticism.

 

I am not asking people to feel sorry for referees. Nobody is making them be referees and the money is fine (I looked it up and they have been awarded some pretty big increases in recent years by the NFL). How much money they make is not the point. If they were paid a million a year, they would still make the same mistakes IMO because the speed of the game in some instances is just too quick for the human eye. And they are asked to look for so much more now than before. They never had to look for these defenseless player hits before...and those are among the hardest hits to judge. That is why I think all of those hits should be reviewed.

I'd like to have a full-time job I can be at only 4 days a week and then go out and pick up an additional $175,000 a year on the side. Yes its high pressure, high scrutiny, and fast paced, but that's enough for most of is to thrive, not live, on a year. They signed up for big boy ball, they deserve big boy criticism.

Must leave some time for exercise cause some of those cats are ripped.

I am not asking people to feel sorry for referees. Nobody is making them be referees and the money is fine (I looked it up and they have been awarded some pretty big increases in recent years by the NFL). How much money they make is not the point. If they were paid a million a year, they would still make the same mistakes IMO because the speed of the game in some instances is just too quick for the human eye. And they are asked to look for so much more now than before. They never had to look for these defenseless player hits before...and those are among the hardest hits to judge. That is why I think all of those hits should be reviewed.

 

Giovanni Bernard will agree, as soon as he can remember his name.

One of the worst calls I've ever witnessed was in the Denver game yesterday. Peyton was getting pressured and he slide feet first to avoid a hit. He then proceeded to get up and complete a 30 yard pass. Worst no call I've ever seen. He clearly gave himself up.

One of the worst calls I've ever witnessed was in the Denver game yesterday. Peyton was getting pressured and he slide feet first to avoid a hit. He then proceeded to get up and complete a 30 yard pass. Worst no call I've ever seen. He clearly gave himself up.

 

One of the strangest plays? Yes. One of the worst calls? No. If he was clearly giving himself up, he'd have been in the fetal position to protect the ball. No way he plans that, and then realizes "Oh, the whistle hasn't blown...nobody has touched me...and I see one of my guys running free...I can still get up and throw it." For as awkward and gangly as Peyton is, the play was too fluid for there to have been a change of mind.

If they're going to allow that, they can't penalize a team when they decapitate the QB when he slides feet first. He clearly gave himself up on the play.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.