Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

6 Classes and the NKY Coaches Redux

Featured Replies

I really think it's silly to suggest that the NKY coaches went crying to the media. That just did not happen. They were questioned and gave a response. What should they have said, "No comment"?

 

I would like to hear what the coaches have to say. Unfortunately, it would be rather difficult for a BGP member (who is a coach) to comment without compromising that member's identity.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wildcat the articles I've read had the N. Ky coaches simply stating that they don't like 6 classes. If that's complaining to you, then you and I are using different dictionaries. One coach (Stedman?) stated that the N. Ky coaches had voted in a meeting of the N. Ky coaches. What in goodness sakes is misleading about that? If there is something else that someone said that's misleading, quote it in your reply so I and the others on here can read what you think was misleading. I've not read a thing that I thought was misleading, but perhaps I've not read all the articles.

 

 

Come on; it was a lot more than "We just don't like 6 classes." It was more like, "We voted 18-0 against it." How could that happen when none of us wanted it?

 

The misleading part is that they claim to have voted; the only time they voted was amongst themselves, because it has been made quite clear that they did not do it at the state meeting!!!

It was my understanding from the get-go that the 6 Class proposal was meant to address long travel times for District games and the fact that 2A and 4A had such large differences between the smallest and largest schools in the Class.

 

The urban Districts don't understand the travel issue for District Games - they don't have 2-3 opponents in their Districts that are over 100 miles away, one way. And when a school has to play another school twice its size in the Playoffs, the larger school has a natural advantage.

 

Nobody's picking on NKy or any of the urban areas. They've just had advantages over the years and now the rest of the state gets to share some of them.

I've been mulling this NKY coaches issue over in my head a little. Trying to make sense of it. I read what the papers reported and have talked to umpteen people about it and have come to the following conclusion. It all centers around the 18-0 NKFCA vote. I mean, why vote if the vote is meaninglessy and then not vote when it's meaningful? Answer that, and you go a long way in solving this riddle. The mere vote itself implies that they knew the issue. Was the whole article just false bravado for the cameras, or was it a reporter trying to right a juicy story. Maybe it was both.

Come on; it was a lot more than "We just don't like 6 classes." It was more like, "We voted 18-0 against it." How could that happen when none of us wanted it?

 

The misleading part is that they claim to have voted; the only time they voted was amongst themselves, because it has been made quite clear that they did not do it at the state meeting!!!

 

 

Disagree completely. I took the reciting of the 18 vote to indicate that no coach from N. Ky was in favor of the reclassification. End of story. If you read into it, "how could that happen if none of us wanted it" you yourself are reading something into it that may not have been the intent at all. Furthermore you are also assuming that writer put into the article everything that Marksberry stated. Neither you nor I know if Marksberry addressed the KFCA vote at all. And even if he didn't, I think Marksberry's point was simply that the N. Ky coaches were unanimously against the proposal and felt that they could compete and respond to the challenges with out help from the KHSAA, which I fully commend him on and his team plays in 4A currently, one of those classes that has the size disparity that needed to be fixed.

 

And no I don't think the silence of the N. Ky. coaches on this site means anything (other than perhaps they have more important things going on right now-like preparing their teams for the upcoming season right around the corner-than worry about what is being said about them on BGP. I know several coaches that never come here, that view this and other similar sites with distain, and even those coaches that do come on here might not feel compelled to explain on here their rationale for why they voted, why they didn't vote or respond to any other criticisms of them on here. Good lord, this place is good, but lets not get too full of ourselves in re the "importance" of this site to the coaches. A lot of the posters (me included) are wannabe's or never were's, that think we know more about high school football than we really do.:banana: Its a blooming high school football fan site and I'd probably wonder more about a coach that takes the time to defend criticism of him on here. Particularly at this time of the year.

Let's not get confused here. Coach Schneider is on the Board of Control (BOC) which voted to approve the 6 class proposal that was recommended by the Kentucky Football Coaches Association (KFCA).

 

I am not sure if Coach Schneider was present at the vote or not but one thing is for sure, he (nor anyone else) voted for no change because the BOC vote was 14-0 to go to 6 classes.

 

I'm completely ignorant here (and at what makes women tick, but that's another thread). How many representatives are there? Are there one for each region? If that is the case, and only 14 out of 16 reps voted on a very crucial issue and my rep A)didn't attend or B)didn't vote, I'd be very upset. This is going to have huge implications on the state for years to come.

  • Author
I'm completely ignorant here (and at what makes women tick, but that's another thread). How many representatives are there? Are there one for each region? If that is the case, and only 14 out of 16 reps voted on a very crucial issue and my rep A)didn't attend or B)didn't vote, I'd be very upset. This is going to have huge implications on the state for years to come.

 

Your question is exactly one of my points. This is all a very complex dynamic and there is no room for "fun and games."

 

As to your question, this link is a good starting point but it doesn't look like it includes the new members yet:

 

http://www.khsaa.org/boardofcontrol/boardofcontrolinformationpage.htm

 

Also, in all fairness, I am sure it can be difficult for every member of the BOC to attend every meeting. Hopefully someone else can give us some more insight.

Your question is exactly one of my points. This is all a very complex dynamic and there is no room for "fun and games."

 

As to your question, this link is a good starting point but it doesn't look like it includes the new members yet:

 

http://www.khsaa.org/boardofcontrol/boardofcontrolinformationpage.htm

 

Also, in all fairness, I am sure it can be difficult for every member of the BOC to attend every meeting. Hopefully someone else can give us some more insight.

 

 

There are 18 members on the BOC. 14 are elected by the schools and 4 are appointed by the State Board of Education. As I recall, one of the 4 appointed by the Board must be a woman and one must be a ethnic minority. Of the 14 elected by the schools, I believe that 8 of the members are based on the basketball regions, with two regions being combined to form a section and therefore there are 8 members elected to represent the 8 sections.

One African American is elected by the schools in basketball regions 1-8 and one is elected by the schools in basketball regions 9-16. Likewise one female is elected by the schools in regions 1-8 and one by the schools in regions 9-16. One member is elected by the non public schools in regions 1-8 and one by the non public schools in regions 9-16. Which totals 14. Those 14 plus the 4 appointed by the State Board comprise the 18 members. Hope that helps.

 

PS, I found this info online in Article iv of the KHSAA's Constitution.

  • Author

Thanks lneck.

  • Author
I really think it's silly to suggest that the NKY coaches went crying to the media. That just did not happen. They were questioned and gave a response. What should they have said, "No comment"?

 

I would like to hear what the coaches have to say. Unfortunately, it would be rather difficult for a BGP member (who is a coach) to comment without compromising that member's identity.

 

I have coaches come to me in private all the time in situations like this, but this time my PM box is all empty.

  • Author

I knew I smelled a rat on this one and it is worse than I thought. Since I asked for coaches to PM me I have learned this from another NKY coach that was at the meeting in question:

 

"I was at the meeting Marksberry was talking about. He did not tell the whole story. The vote was on 5 classes vs. 6 classes. It was an informal raising of hands. I think most NKY coaches would have preferred 5 classes."

I knew I smelled a rat on this one and it is worse than I thought. Since I asked for coaches to PM me I have learned this from another NKY coach that was at the meeting in question:

 

"I was at the meeting Marksberry was talking about. He did not tell the whole story. The vote was on 5 classes vs. 6 classes. It was an informal raising of hands. I think most NKY coaches would have preferred 5 classes."

 

Did he not tell the whole story or was the whole story not printed?

  • Author
Did he not tell the whole story or was the whole story not printed?

 

I take it as he misrepresenting some things but I will follow up with Ryan Ernst.

"We voted on this as a coaches association, and it was unanimous 18-0 that we didn't want it in Northern Kentucky," Simon Kenton coach Jeff Marksberry said. "I think we're just happy with how things are now. We feel like we compete."

 

"I was at the meeting Marksberry was talking about. He did not tell the whole story. The vote was on 5 classes vs. 6 classes. It was an informal raising of hands. I think most NKY coaches would have preferred 5 classes."

 

Are they even talking about the same meeting?

 

One quote is saying he wants it to stay the same and the other is saying that that staying the same was never an option.

I knew I smelled a rat on this one and it is worse than I thought. Since I asked for coaches to PM me I have learned this from another NKY coach that was at the meeting in question:

 

"I was at the meeting Marksberry was talking about. He did not tell the whole story. The vote was on 5 classes vs. 6 classes. It was an informal raising of hands. I think most NKY coaches would have preferred 5 classes."

 

I am not a head coach--but I can say that I was at a meeting where I could verify that this is the truth . . . . . . . .

 

I wouldn't say most--I would say that "overwhelming majority" would describe 5 vs. 6 coaches.

 

In all fairness to Coach Markesberry--this meeting was 3 to 4 months ago.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.