Robert Hammonds to be named new coach at West Jessamine?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing to remember here is that Bracken County is already within their "30-days to the start of school" period. Once a school is within 30 days of the first day of school they do not have to allow a teacher/coach out of contract. I know that the administration at Bracken County would never do that, but it does happen from time to time and could happen here. Bracken Co. would be within their legal boundaries if their had to or wanted to!

where did you get your info from... apparently my "source' slept in this morning

I think so 1994. It is a done deal and will be announced officially at a press conference at WJ on Monday.

He will meet with the Bracken kids and has already been in contact with some of the guys already.

Hammonds officially resigned from Bracken County via e-mail this morning. Congrats to Coach Hammonds on the move to the 12th region. It will be interesting to see what happens at Bracken Co. w/their coaching position. I hear that there is a short list of candidates and that they are wanting this done as quickly as it can be! A real chance for Bracken Co. to get THEIR guy in the position!

I don't think this is a big loss at all for Bracken Co., not in the least. That is not to take anything away from Hammonds, but I honestly think they can do better. Hammonds has tried to leave BCHS every year he has been employed there. This gives the new administration at BCHS a chance to hire their own guy.

I think you should apply TubbyCat. You seem to have all the qualifications

Congrats to coach Hammonds. Working with him for the past three seasons i've got to know him and he is great person and a great coach. Also congrats to West J as you guys are getting one of the top notch young coaches in the state. I have mixed emotions about this, selfish wanting him to stay at Bracken but yet this great opportunity can't be passed up. I called him personally this afternoon to wish him well and he assured me he would miss BCHS. Now whats next for us??

I feel honored by Sports Mojo's suggestion that I apply for the Bracken Co. coaching position, however that would cause a problem with my current coaching position and I am very happy where I am! I agree w/you though, I would have all of the qualifications!

Bracken County has a number of ways they can go with the hiring of this coach as they have a number of teaching spots open. I hear this could be done rather quickly if it works out the way the administration is hoping. Hammonds was the AD and taught social studies, and of course coached the boys. He had accepted the Asst. Principal's position for this upcoming school year. They have a special education position open for sure, plus the social studies position.

Well TubbyCat, Maybe Coach Hammonds didn't meet your expectations for the Bear Program, but his 34 wins in three seasons and 1 trip to the region were much better than Bracken's 14 wins and 0 trips to the region in the 3 years prior to him coming.....IMO he maximized the talent that he has had at Bracken, and I also know for a fact that at least one other school approached him about a job in the last two years and he stayed at Bracken to try and build that program!!!! So I am not necessarily buying your theory that he has been trying to get a different job every year since his arrival at Bracken Co........

TubbyCat, come on, 34 wins in three seasons compared to 14 the previous three. Why is there always one guy that has to continue to bash a coach on his way out when it is obvious that he did a good job? Just say you didn't like his style, the way he handled players or parents, whatever; just don't say he won't be missed when it's obvious what he did had a positive impact there.

First off, I am not bashing Robert Hammonds. My statement was that "I don't think this is a big loss for Bracken Co., not in the least. That is not to take anything away from Hammonds, but I honestly think they can do better." Now, I do not see how that is bashing someone, it isn't. My opinion is that he can be replaced, another post felt that this was a big loss for Bracken Co. and I do not.

Hammonds did win 34 games and that was much better than the last 3 years that Gary McKinney was coaching at Bracken Co., we all know his heart wasn't in those last three seasons. So it would be a little more difficult to compare those three seasons against Hammond's three seasons.

This isn't about liking someone or not liking them, I have an opinion and I stand by that. My style and Coach Hammonds style probably do differ, but I don't judge coaches on their beliefs. We are all entitled to to believe how we want! :thumb: