Robert Hammonds to be named new coach at West Jessamine?

Well TubbyCat, Maybe Coach Hammonds didn't meet your expectations for the Bear Program, but his 34 wins in three seasons and 1 trip to the region were much better than Bracken's 14 wins and 0 trips to the region in the 3 years prior to him coming.....IMO he maximized the talent that he has had at Bracken, and I also know for a fact that at least one other school approached him about a job in the last two years and he stayed at Bracken to try and build that program!!!! So I am not necessarily buying your theory that he has been trying to get a different job every year since his arrival at Bracken Co........

I agree. Congrats, Coach Hammonds. The Igloo Crew wishes you well. Sure you won't consider one more year, though???? :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Applying for jobs each summer would indicate that one was pursuing other opportunities at the very least.

Like I said, in my opinion it is not a huge loss for Bracken County! I do wish him very well at W. Jessamine, the pressure will be much different!

Hammonds still has not been named Head Coach at West Jessamine. As of this morning he was still the head man at Bracken Co. I guess we have to wait and see how the next few days play out. Bracken Co. starts school in one month, so the timing of this will play a major role in which way both schools end up going.

As a friend of the staff at BCHS, the word is Hammonds will announce one way or the other Thursday morning.

As for TubbyCat sounds like you are a little vengeful of Hammonds. People usually do that when someone has come in cleaned house and built a program. It is not like he has had alot to work with. He has hired good coaches since being there, started a elem program and won many ball games while playing everyone in region not dodging anyone. More than other schools can say and has won a few of them. His middle school program is not a very good one with only one middle school and not very good competition. Fundamentally they are very very weak coming in as freshman for high school competition. I think Hammonds and staff built the program from the bottom up and done a great job, and if you want to have opinion otherwise that is fine, but go ask the real coaches in the region of what they think of Hammonds and the Bracken County program now and I am sure you will hear nothing but good things. I wish him the best and I wish both schools the best, everything happens for a reason and I am sure both schools will be fine however it all plays out.

As a friend of the staff at BCHS, the word is Hammonds will announce one way or the other Thursday morning.

As for TubbyCat sounds like you are a little vengeful of Hammonds. People usually do that when someone has come in cleaned house and built a program. It is not like he has had alot to work with. He has hired good coaches since being there, started a elem program and won many ball games while playing everyone in region not dodging anyone. More than other schools can say and has won a few of them. His middle school program is not a very good one with only one middle school and not very good competition. Fundamentally they are very very weak coming in as freshman for high school competition. I think Hammonds and staff built the program from the bottom up and done a great job, and if you want to have opinion otherwise that is fine, but go ask the real coaches in the region of what they think of Hammonds and the Bracken County program now and I am sure you will hear nothing but good things. I wish him the best and I wish both schools the best, everything happens for a reason and I am sure both schools will be fine however it all plays out.

I agree. Our program hasnt been that great since the late 90's when we won a class aregional, and follwed it with a district title, and with what he has to work with, Hammonds has done a great job. He rubbed some parents the wrong way at first with his no nonsense attitude,but those kids buy into the program now.

I think sometimes coaches have to go in and be no non sense to get a program under control. He may have rubbed parents the wrong way, but I do think he is all for the best of the kids and tries to make his program about the kids not the parents. Bracken County is very much respected in the 10th now and I think as an athletic director he may have done an even better job, but this is looking from another schools perspective. Good luck to the Polar Bears and Hammonds. I would think if he stays at BCHS they will be reckoned with this year, good kids coming back from summer talk.

Well to set the record straight I have nothing vengeful against Coach Hammonds at all, I just don't think his loss will set the program back any. The elemantary program at Bracken Co. has been set up for years, Hammonds had nothing to do w/that. He may have tweaked it a bit, but the actual program was set up far before he arrived at BCHS.

Two of the administrators at BCHS run a nice program for first and second grade players that I am pretty certain Hammonds had nothing to do with. As for the JH program, maybe Hammonds should have been more hands on there and those players wouldn't be coming into the HS ranks un-prepared as has been said in a previous thread. Building a program from Top to Bottom WOULD include the JH program as well and according th the thread on here and I quote" his middle school program is not a very good one".

Seems to me that would be a focal point if it is bad as stated on here and it looks like it has been overlooked. They have had the same JH coach there for years, maybe that is where the problem lies and maybe Hammonds didn't do w/that JH program what he should have. Most schools in this area only have one middle school, Mason County, Pendleton County, and Campbell County to name a few, why would Bracken have more than one? The competition would be the same so I don't think there is anything wrong w/the competititon. It is the same competition they play as HS players.

Well to set the record straight I have nothing vengeful against Coach Hammonds at all, I just don't think his loss will set the program back any. The elemantary program at Bracken Co. has been set up for years, Hammonds had nothing to do w/that. He may have tweaked it a bit, but the actual program was set up far before he arrived at BCHS.

Two of the administrators at BCHS run a nice program for first and second grade players that I am pretty certain Hammonds had nothing to do with. As for the JH program, maybe Hammonds should have been more hands on there and those players wouldn't be coming into the HS ranks un-prepared as has been said in a previous thread. Building a program from Top to Bottom WOULD include the JH program as well and according th the thread on here and I quote" his middle school program is not a very good one".

Seems to me that would be a focal point if it is bad as stated on here and it looks like it has been overlooked. They have had the same JH coach there for years, maybe that is where the problem lies and maybe Hammonds didn't do w/that JH program what he should have. Most schools in this area only have one middle school, Mason County, Pendleton County, and Campbell County to name a few, why would Bracken have more than one? The competition would be the same so I don't think there is anything wrong w/the competititon. It is the same competition they play as HS players.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:thumb:

Word from a very reliable source says he hasnt announced because he cannot decide where to go. The West Jess position is very appealing to him, but he does have community ties in BC (just married a girl from Bracken)... talked to a fellow teacher and they seem to think if he leaves, the coaching job will be kept in house for one year, then hire a new coach next season. Im not so sure i like that, having 3 diffrent coaches in 3 seasons... not a good way to establish a winning program

Word from a very reliable source says he hasnt announced because he cannot decide where to go. The West Jess position is very appealing to him, but he does have community ties in BC (just married a girl from Bracken)... talked to a fellow teacher and they seem to think if he leaves, the coaching job will be kept in house for one year, then hire a new coach next season. Im not so sure i like that, having 3 diffrent coaches in 3 seasons... not a good way to establish a winning program

There are many details that have to be worked out before he says yes or no to West Jessamine. I had dinner with him on Monday and was informed of all that was going on. He really likes Bracken and loves his kids that play for him. I have seen that first hand.

(My words not his) But bottom line is that it is a step up. No offense to Bracken but it is a smaller school that will have to have the right draw to get to the region yearly. At WJ they could be a top 5 in the region every year. And at WJ there is a good chance to make it to the show .