Covington Holy Cross 68 Scott 61

Holy Cross appears to be primed for a run at District runnerup and a trip to BOK this season. I know Holmes has had their number for years but they are consistently beating Top 10 teams in NKY.

Regular season game between those two is at Holy Cross this year...wouldn't surprise me to see them get their first win over the Bulldogs since the 06/07 regular season. (That game was at HC as well...couldn't tell you the last time they won at Holmes)

HC made very nice adjustments on Ohmet into late 3Q- all of 4Q. Scott had momentum, and it's rare that I say Scott lost this game from their own mistakes. HC was saved by Scott missing 4-5 lay ups late in the game, and Jacokobwski??? hitting 4 threes in a 2 minute span late in the 1Q.... Oh well, Eagles will get better as time comes.

Holy 68

Covington Holy Cross 20 15 16 17

Scott 29 18 7 12

Coving Holy Cross (5-1) -- Jakobowski 19, Scott 3, Schrand 16, Zimmerman 5, Volpenhein 5, Bezel 20.

Scott (3-2) -- Homer 26, Jolley 6, Seay 5, Pram 16, Duimlao 4, Englimo 4.

Read more here: Latest high school boys' basketball scores | Lexington Herald-Leader

Looks like who ever was working the LHL desk had trouble hearing names.

"Bezel" is Bezold.

"Homer" is Ohmer. No clue if the other names are right.

Holy Cross appears to be primed for a run at District runnerup and a trip to BOK this season. I know Holmes has had their number for years but they are consistently beating Top 10 teams in NKY.

Just asking. Why wouldn't they be in a position to "win" the district? It's not a foregone conclusion that they couldn't win it is it?

Holy Cross opened man to man and Scott just whipped the ball around the floor and found the open man or Ohmer was taking it to the middle of the paint without much resistance.

I believe the score was like 24-20 at the end of one. If I recall correctly, Scott may have been up 13 in the first and HC shaved 9 points off the lead in the last minute of the quarter.

In the second quarter the pace weakened a bit. HC went to a 1-3-1 and Scott probed it and took a 7 point lead into the half.

In the second half, the pace really started to grind for these two teams. Holy Cross started doubling Ohmer across halfcourt but Scott was able to find shots close to the basket.

If my count is correct they missed 8 shots right at the basket. There was some resistance but were baskets they can make with strong takes.

The Indians were buoyed by Bezold tossing in a 3/4 shot at the horn to give the Indians the lead at the end of three.

I am not sure what the turnover total was but Scott had some careless turnovers that HC was able to capitalize on in the second half.

Overall, it was an entertaining game and you can see the growth and maturity in HC with the bulk of their starters having gained valuable experience of over the last 3+ years.

Scott is going to be a pesky team and they could have easily won this game if they convert on half of their shots at the rim in the second half.