Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question for Private Schools?

Featured Replies

8 to 10 schools this year will be playing football again or for the first time ever. The increase of football scholarship being giving to "Kentucky kids in football " have been and are on the up swing over the last 5 years. Those two things alone shows more interest in football IMO.

 

Well, maybe that is true, I wasn't sure about other districts or schools, but I know it has affected Mayfield high school. Soccer is very popular in Graves county and the two sports collide with each other as far as seasons go. That is really good news anyways because I really love high school football and I would hate to ever see it go away.

  • Replies 83
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't trying to lead anything. I make it clear that I wasn't for the split of schools. I was only pointing out some "Advantages" that are somewhat a control issue. Again smaller school population does weigh in here but as stated your tradition of "Winning" against smaller schools is documented but having trouble winning against schools of your same size. A few years ago when Brian Brohm was a senior QB your record went 0-4 for the first four games playing some of the best teams no doubt but still had a #1 ranking in the state which in turn proved to be correct. You had a dominated team even though you went 0-4. I just wanted an answer to question that was asked on another site because I believe and value the opinions of the poster here I wasn't trying to call anyone out or throw fuel on a fire I was going to post the answer on the other site. I was just stating some obivous things that make you dominate over smaller schools. I believe in the not so far future you will not dominate the schools like in past because the interest in football in this state has become more and more interesting to young kids and their willingness to put in that "Rudy" effort is coming which in my opinion is what your kids have had all along. No one had an answer to the question and I knew someone on here would be able to have a diffinity answer........................LTW.

I disagree and think the gap will only widen as long as the media and society keeps continually painting public schools as abissmal failures. THat is not true. Some have been and still might be.

 

But has private school supporters continue to point out, you cannot paint one school based upon another school. When you have a poor, out of control public school, NOT ALL public schools and the VAST MAJORITY of public schools are not like that.

 

Yet, the perception is that 90% are failures. And for our society, perception is more important than reality.

  • Author

LBC, you can disagree if you want but here's something to think about. Two seasons ago Dixie Heights won over T in the playoffs. Male is always in the mix of things along with Manual. X won over a good BG team by a TD and T had a rough time with LC whom Highlands, CCH, Rockcastle, Bell Co. had beaten most years. Big 4A against 3A teams are very close and last but not least John Hardin gave X all they wanted and more last year. X then loses to T in the finals after T losing to them in the season. The gap of teams are drawing closer every year with teams getting after it and putting in the time. You can't make me believe the gap isn't closing!!!!!!!!

LBC, you can disagree if you want but here's something to think about. Two seasons ago Dixie Heights won over T in the playoffs. Male is always in the mix of things along with Manual. X won over a good BG team by a TD and T had a rough time with LC whom Highlands, CCH, Rockcastle, Bell Co. had beaten most years. Big 4A against 3A teams are very close and last but not least John Hardin gave X all they wanted and more last year. X then loses to T in the finals after T losing to them in the season. The gap of teams are drawing closer every year with teams getting after it and putting in the time. You can't make me believe the gap isn't closing!!!!!!!!

99% of public high schools go through cycles of good or great players. Out of the 220-some public schools, you mentioned a handful. And from that handful, I wonder if Dixie had a good cycle and back to where they normally are. As well, will the others beyond the Jefferson schools you have mentioned, fit the same cyclical pattern.

I disagree and think the gap will only widen as long as the media and society keeps continually painting public schools as abissmal failures. THat is not true. Some have been and still might be.

 

 

Does the media and society do this OR is it that some schools do it to themselves????

Only because your board decides that, not because you have to. I could go build a school that primarily focuses on athletics and education is a secondary thing, just get the students by with whatever grade they need to play ball. You don't think we would attract all the best athletes if this school existed? I am not sure what the guidelines are that the KHSAA sets forth for student/athletes, but I am sure that the big issue is the grades they maintain and if this school was formed up that was basically a talent pool of athletes was allowed in the KHSAA, would that be fair to the rest of the schools?

Your wrong? If a school wnts their diploma to be certified by the state we must follow their requirments.

The interest in football in this state is dropping, I don't know where you see kids wanting to play football over soccer. Soccer is so much more attracive, you don't get hurt as easily and so much cheaper to put on games.

What world do you live in?

Does the media and society do this OR is it that some schools do it to themselves????

I haven't seen any school produced segments on the news. My point is that you might have 1-2-5 public schools that are not doing well. And 200-some public schools that are doing good, great. But the constant mantra in the media and society is the unbelievable poor jobs that public schools are doing.

 

Added to that, the vast majority of bad public schools stories we here about is inner city. But yet, the story is promoted as how the public schools are failing. And, the rural schools are lumped into that description when they should not.

 

There are great public schools. There are good public schools. There are poor public schools.

 

There are great private schools. There are good private schools. There are poor private schools.

 

I won't buy into the mindset that you can lump them altogether when studying them. At the same time, we are different and yet are being asked to compete as we are the same. Different does not mean better or worse.

 

To bring RM's debate in another thread into here, Males and Females are different. That does not mean better nor worse, just different.

I haven't seen any school produced segments on the news. My point is that you might have 1-2-5 public schools that are not doing well. And 200-some public schools that are doing good, great. But the constant mantra in the media and society is the unbelievable poor jobs that public schools are doing.

 

Added to that, the vast majority of bad public schools stories we here about is inner city. But yet, the story is promoted as how the public schools are failing. And, the rural schools are lumped into that description when they should not.

 

There are great public schools. There are good public schools. There are poor public schools.

 

There are great private schools. There are good private schools. There are poor private schools.

I won't buy into the mindset that you can lump them altogether when studying them. At the same time, we are different and yet are being asked to compete as we are the same. Different does not mean better or worse.

 

To bring RM's debate in another thread into here, Males and Females are different. That does not mean better nor worse, just different.

 

 

 

Exactly right LBBC and my belief as well :thumb:

I wasn't trying to lead anything. I make it clear that I wasn't for the split of schools. I was only pointing out some "Advantages" that are somewhat a control issue. Again smaller school population does weigh in here but as stated your tradition of "Winning" against smaller schools is documented but having trouble winning against schools of your same size. A few years ago when Brian Brohm was a senior QB your record went 0-4 for the first four games playing some of the best teams no doubt but still had a #1 ranking in the state which in turn proved to be correct. You had a dominated team even though you went 0-4. I just wanted an answer to question that was asked on another site because I believe and value the opinions of the poster here I wasn't trying to call anyone out or throw fuel on a fire I was going to post the answer on the other site. I was just stating some obivous things that make you dominate over smaller schools. I believe in the not so far future you will not dominate the schools like in past because the interest in football in this state has become more and more interesting to young kids and their willingness to put in that "Rudy" effort is coming which in my opinion is what your kids have had all along. No one had an answer to the question and I knew someone on here would be able to have a diffinity answer........................LTW.

 

1. While I've driven by Trinity High School, I am not a "Trinity" guy .

 

2. Your entire argument for the success of private schools is based off of an enrollment that only 2 private schools have - T and X. LC, CCH, NCC, etc have the same enrollment as everyone else in their class. Where is their advantage?

2. Your entire argument for the success of private schools is based off of an enrollment that only 2 private schools have - T and X. LC, CCH, NCC, etc have the same enrollment as everyone else in their class. Where is their advantage?

 

 

That argument is pretty weak because none of the three teams you mentioned (Lex Cath, Cov Cath, Newport Central Cath) have been particularly dominant for anywhere near as long as X and T. Covington Catholic had a good run from 1987 to 1997 (5 titles in 11 years), but NCC has won only 2 titles since the playoff system started and Lex Cath one. That sums to eight titles among the three schools. St X and Trinity have won a combined twenty-seven titles since 1959.

 

Lex Cath, Cov Cath, and NCC don't have an enrollment advantage and, consequently, don't have a strong record of dominating their respective classes.

The interest in football in this state is dropping, I don't know where you see kids wanting to play football over soccer. Soccer is so much more attracive, you don't get hurt as easily and so much cheaper to put on games.

I think that you are outside your mind on this...

That argument is pretty weak because none of the three teams you mentioned (Lex Cath, Cov Cath, Newport Central Cath) have been particularly dominant for anywhere near as long as X and T. Covington Catholic had a good run from 1987 to 1997 (5 titles in 11 years), but NCC has won only 2 titles since the playoff system started and Lex Cath one. That sums to eight titles among the three schools. St X and Trinity have won a combined twenty-seven titles since 1959.

 

Lex Cath, Cov Cath, and NCC don't have an enrollment advantage and, consequently, don't have a strong record of dominating their respective classes.

 

 

H - You just made my point. The original argument put forth intimates that all things being equal, private schools somehow have an advantage on the gridiron over public schools. I'm still trying to figure out what those advantages are but cannot get an answer.

99% of public high schools go through cycles of good or great players. Out of the 220-some public schools, you mentioned a handful. And from that handful, I wonder if Dixie had a good cycle and back to where they normally are. As well, will the others beyond the Jefferson schools you have mentioned, fit the same cyclical pattern.

 

 

LBBC, I think that as football becomes even more popular (and it will with 6 classes) that you will see fewer and fewer cycles n the public schools. As the feeder programs become better due to the increased popularity, the cycles of athletes in more and more programs will become less frequent. And any high school head football coach that does not become intimately involved in the youth leagues has no one to blame but himself for his lack of success. I realize that in some places it can be difficult for that to happen, but overcoming difficulties is what separates the winners from the losers.

What world do you live in?

 

Well, I live in Mayfield KY, heavily populated with hispanics, it could be an isolated case, but soccer is very popular and I know for a fact it has affected our football program negatively.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.