Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Will Boyle County ever be a 3A power again?

Featured Replies

Have the Rebels lost a step with Coach Smith leaving that they will never get back?

 

Or, is this just a low point for Boyle due in part because they lack a superstar QB like they had for several years?

I think a winning tradition has been established there and I don't see that just fading away. I don't know a lot about the Boyle system; but it seems to be a good one and once something like that is in place, it becomes self-sustaining. That's why some programs are good every year and compete for the state title every few years.

 

Boyle is one of those teams that start the season with an expectation of a state title. It has a system that reaches down to the very youngest kids coming up. These are two of the biggest traits that mark a winning football team.

 

I just hope they don't win it all this year. :sssh: ;)

I'm probably not a good person to answer this question because it's no secret that I am a Rebel fan and have been for years. Guru, I will tell you that I am sorry from the get go with my answer because I won't address your question directly. I think you and others will have to wait for a little while to see if Boyle is on a down swing or not. I do know this much, these kids work their hearts out for this team. They respect their coaches, their team, their fans and the teams that they play against. If they lose a game it will not be because they have not given it their best. These kids play with as much heart as you could ever ask a kid to play. Even thought I'd love to see another ring in our family this year, I will say this from the start, I would be proud of each of them even if they didn't win a game this year.:thumb:

It says a lot for Boyle County when 11-2 is thought of as a "low point"! Their run in this decade has reminded me of Beechwood in the 90's! They have a great program and even though Coach Smith is no longer there, I look for continued success for the Rebels!!!

Lineman win football games. During the Smith era and now, Boyle has some of the best lienman in the state. It is a sight to behold to watch Boyle get in double tights and then watch 7 guys who are about 6 foot and 220 pounds come off the ball like shot out of a cannon, in unison, and about a half foot off the ground. You don't have to be a great back or QB to make yards behind them. I think guys like Duggins and even Smith were made better being protected behind those lineman.

 

I think Boyle stays on top as long as their lineman continue to dominate.

Good point there BigMac,a 11-2 season will make alot of teams very happy, but not Boyle Co. The Rebels want to compete for State Titles every year,but just like RebelK said, I'm too proud of the team even if they don't win State Champingships. And to answer Guru question, yes I feel they again be a power in 3A,and one of the reasons is ,go to http://www.amnews.com in today's sports section and look under Giving Back.:thumb:

I think Boyle Co. will be fine. If you consider an 11-2 season a low point, then maybe in some fans eyes it will seem as if the Rebels have lost a step, and are in a slump. However, those kids (future Rebels) that are in Super's link, are out there because a seed has been planted, and playing for the Boyle Co. Rebels is a dream for them They love it, and thrive for that oppurtunity. Thanks to Chuck Smith, and all of those Rebels who keep coming back for this annual camp to help ensure that this program remains one of the elite.

 

"Has Boyle lost a step they will never get back?" I would say that they have, simply because I don't see "anyone" ever winning five straight again. I do look for them to compete for future championships though.

 

The Rebels will need to replace a very talented receiving corp. and develop some new playmakers this year. I look for a 10-3 season, with the possibility of something even better if Coach Pardue will take back over the offense and work more with Grant Tamme . I just don't understand why Boyle needed the offensive coordinator from VA. I thought at times last year, Boyle's offense was very stagnant.

County teams just don't do what Boyle Co did. It still amazes me! They lost a jewell in Coach Smith that loss would be tough on any program but they still have an awsome staff, great kids and top notch support.

With that said I think a lot of people look at those teams like they were some little team that kept doing the unthinkable. They were much more athletic during that stint then they are given credit for I think.

IMO Boyle Co is a strong program that isn't going anywhere. When they have the horses, the luck and things fall into place then they are as capable as anybody to win it. I don't think they will ever see a run that big again just as I think it will be a long time before we see a run in 3A like that one.

I don't know anybody that doesn't respect Boyle Co but I understand your question and it is a good one.

Boyle imo hd an incredible run, they have a trdition there and i don't see it declining. Every school goes through "down" years, it's cetainly not like they have hit rock bottom. Imo is Yes, they will be back.

I think a winning tradition has been established there and I don't see that just fading away. I don't know a lot about the Boyle system; but it seems to be a good one and once something like that is in place, it becomes self-sustaining. That's why some programs are good every year and compete for the state title every few years.

 

Boyle is one of those teams that start the season with an expectation of a state title. It has a system that reaches down to the very youngest kids coming up. These are two of the biggest traits that mark a winning football team.

 

I just hope they don't win it all this year. :sssh: ;)

Well said BF, and from what I understand they have a real nice feeder program plus a great fan base like RebelK and many others. A true recipe for success!

Feeder program is a great point. From all the people I've talked too one of the first things I hear is the intrest invested in the Middle School and youth there.

Feeder program is a great point. From all the people I've talked too one of the first things I hear is the interest invested in the Middle School and youth there.
That's the secret ingredient in any recipe for success.

Most rural public schools are going to have an occaisonal dip in talent. Private schools and large, urban settings don't experience this as much. From what I understand, Boyle has talent coming back this year but it will be young talent. Look for some early inconsistency if they have a tough schedule. But Boyle's excellent coaching staff will have them playing well by mid to late season. I think they will be a force to reckon with in the playoffs. I agree with earlier posts that said the strength of their team is their offensive line. Their defense is also very fundamentally sound and is not going to beat itself. You have to make plays against them.

I think sometime down the road, MAYBE?

 

But near future? NO.

Most rural public schools are going to have an occaisonal dip in talent. Private schools and large, urban settings don't experience this as much. From what I understand, Boyle has talent coming back this year but it will be young talent. Look for some early inconsistency if they have a tough schedule. But Boyle's excellent coaching staff will have them playing well by mid to late season. I think they will be a force to reckon with in the playoffs. I agree with earlier posts that said the strength of their team is their offensive line. Their defense is also very fundamentally sound and is not going to beat itself. You have to make plays against them.

I think if people are thinking that we are just going to lay down this season then they will have to rethink that.:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.