December 5, 201510 yr Billy Hamilton wanted to stop switch hitting; Reds said no - Red Reporter MLB.com's Mark Sheldon caught up with Billy Hamilton yesterday, and while hearing about how Hamilton's torn labrum has healed enough for him to be cleared to get back to baseball we found that the Cincinnati Reds CF had wanted to abandon hitting from the left side of the plate (to no avail). Also part of Hamilton's future is more switch hitting. The natural right-hander wanted to give up batting left-handed but it was decided by the organization he should stick with it. "Whatever they want me to do, I'm going to do," Hamilton said. "I'm going to go along with it as long as I can and see how I do. I don't want to be in a situation like I was last year - not being comfortable with it. For sure, this time if I'm not comfortable with it, I'm letting them know. I don't want to be out there embarrassing myself."
December 5, 201510 yr .289 OBP batting RH, .284 OBP batting LH career. He can't hit from either side of the plate.
December 7, 201510 yr I don't care where he tries to hit from, right or left. I just wish he'd get a hit every now and then.
December 7, 201510 yr "I'm going to go along with it as long as I can and see how I do. I don't want to be in a situation like I was last year - not being comfortable with it. For sure, this time if I'm not comfortable with it, I'm letting them know. I don't want to be out there embarrassing myself." Since his splits are about the same whether he hits LH or RH perhaps he should just be embarrassed just to step in the batter's box.
December 7, 201510 yr .289 OBP batting RH, .284 OBP batting LH career. He can't hit from either side of the plate. That .573 if he only hit from one side, right?
December 7, 201510 yr .289 OBP batting RH, .284 OBP batting LH career. He can't hit from either side of the plate. "I'm going to go along with it as long as I can and see how I do. I don't want to be in a situation like I was last year - not being comfortable with it. For sure, this time if I'm not comfortable with it, I'm letting them know. I don't want to be out there embarrassing myself." Since his splits are about the same whether he hits LH or RH perhaps he should just be embarrassed just to step in the batter's box. You all do realize that maybe he would be better at one side of the plate if that was the side he got to practice with all the time, right? I would be willing to bet his right handed batting numbers would end up getting better if that was the only side he practice hitting on at all times.
December 7, 201510 yr You all do realize that maybe he would be better at one side of the plate if that was the side he got to practice with all the time, right? I would be willing to bet his right handed batting numbers would end up getting better if that was the only side he practice hitting on at all times. Any significant improvement would likely be offset by facing RH pitchers best off speed pitches while batting RH all of the time. Couple that with losing that extra step that he gains from being in the LH box. These guys get plenty of BP every day--you aren't going to see him suddenly jump up 50 points in average from the right side just because he quits hitting LH. It doesn't work that way.
December 7, 201510 yr Any significant improvement would likely be offset by facing RH pitchers best off speed pitches while batting RH all of the time. Couple that with losing that extra step that he gains from being in the LH box. These guys get plenty of BP every day--you aren't going to see him suddenly jump up 50 points in average from the right side just because he quits hitting LH. It doesn't work that way. In one year you are right it won't happen. However it very well could happen over a few year period if he is only hitting from one side.
December 7, 201510 yr You all do realize that maybe he would be better at one side of the plate if that was the side he got to practice with all the time, right? I would be willing to bet his right handed batting numbers would end up getting better if that was the only side he practice hitting on at all times. They sure can't get much worse so you're probably good with that one.
December 7, 201510 yr He shouldn't be swinging the bat at all, master the art of bunting. I don't want him to have Drew Stubbs disease.
December 7, 201510 yr Any significant improvement would likely be offset by facing RH pitchers best off speed pitches while batting RH all of the time. Couple that with losing that extra step that he gains from being in the LH box. These guys get plenty of BP every day--you aren't going to see him suddenly jump up 50 points in average from the right side just because he quits hitting LH. It doesn't work that way. Considering his splits are so similar, I'd encourage him to stop switch hitting & focus on LH hitting only.
December 10, 201510 yr To say that a hitter like Hamilton wouldn't be better off focusing on one side of the plate only, is simply false. There are obviously plenty of switch hitters that are great hitters. But Hamilton is not a great hitter. If you are working 2 jobs and are mediocre at both, wouldn't you be better off just focusing your efforts on one job so you can do that one job well. Better to be good at one thing than mediocre at 2 things.
December 10, 201510 yr I don't care where he tries to hit from, right or left. I just wish he'd get a hit every now and then. I just wish he'd become proficient at hitting down on the ball.
December 10, 201510 yr I just wish he'd become proficient at hitting down on the ball. Yeah, I keep reading/hearing about how the Reds just want him to be a line drive hitter and not try to lift anything. Heck, I'll go one step further. I'll take him being a slap hitter. Just put the bat on the ball, and let your speed get you your hits.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.