Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coaches: Help fans understand the game better - Answer questions posted by the fans

Featured Replies

I know a lot of coaches post on this great site, so you know how the fans complain, question and 2nd guess your every move.

 

So I thought you could sort of set the record straight and/or educate all of the fans.

  • Replies 102
  • Views 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moderator please correct " questions "

What are the coaches supposed to do?

In the Male-Trinity game this year:

 

The score was 20-19, one min and change remaining, a foul gave you half the distance to the goal line (1.5 yards). Do you go for the 2-points and the win or do you try for the XP and overtime?

 

Hindsight is 20/20, but in that moment what would you do as a coach?

Good idea on this thread.

 

...but I'm not touching it with a 10-foot pole! (especially one where I might have to second-guess guys better than me like Beatty/Coverdale!)

 

But I will say this...:popcorn:

If gaining a yard and a half on one play means we will probably win, we will go for it. It doesn't always work out, but that is a scenario that we work on frequently...even when the kids don't realize that is what we are working on.

 

Doesn't mean I am right either. Just how I think.

In the Male-Trinity game this year:

 

The score was 20-19, one min and change remaining, a foul gave you half the distance to the goal line (1.5 yards). Do you go for the 2-points and the win or do you try for the XP and overtime?

 

Hindsight is 20/20, but in that moment what would you do as a coach?

 

Kind of a danged if you do, danged if you don't situation. No right answer, depends on the coach. If you go for two and get it, you're a hero, don't and people say you should have kicked it.

 

Tie the game and lose in overtime, and you should have went for two.

 

That said, even as a defensive coach I personally like going for two in that situation.

3RD AND SEVEN

Why run to the short side of the field?

 

Thanks.

 

Okay...I couldn't resist! (this one bugs me too)

 

However, I've had other coaches who do this kind of thing say they do it when they know a DC puts his strength to the FIELD even when you put your offensive strength to the BOUNDARY...so you therefore have a numbers advantage even though you only have 18yds of space to work with.

 

Given this scenario, I can see doing it IF you have a superior run game vs. their run-D AND you're running off-tackle as opposed to running wide. If I DO run though, it's going to be some kind of misdirection like an inside reverse (a base play for us) that always has the potential to be a big play.

 

Even with those scenarios at play, I'm almost always going to have a pass play (or a SLOW SCREEN if I'm worried about a pick) I trust to get 7 on 3rd more than a straightforward or even misdirection run play.

3RD AND SEVEN

Why run to the short side of the field?

 

Thanks.

 

Ask the Russellville coaches that one...

  • Author
Ask the Russellville coaches that one...

It's there for all.

 

Could you correct the heading?

 

Thanks.

If you have an offensive play that you know is working, do you go to it until the stop it or do you keep mixing it up and only pull it out when you need it?

If you have an offensive play that you know is working, do you go to it until the stop it or do you keep mixing it up and only pull it out when you need it?

 

Depends on the offense and the play. Some offenses are better suited to keep teams guessing.

Love this thread!!! Another one. A lot of talk about platooning vs having your best athletes on the field. With these kids being 16-18, in shape, hungry to be on the field, is there really an advantage to staying true to a platoon system if you have athletes that can help on both sides of the ball? I feel like we've been conditioned to believe the platooning is the gospel now and I'm not sure I believe that unless you truly have so many athletes that leaving an athlete off the field isn't going to hurt you. One of the first questions we hear on here nowadays when predicting an outcome is "how many kids does team X have going both ways. Unless the answer is all of them, is it really an HUGE factor?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.