Is Johnny Football Finished in Cleveland?

Clyde

Manziel has been on a short list since his showing against the Bengals last season. Pettine has made him earn everything he got this season starting in training camp. People are always clamoring for Johnny to start but Pettine has said all along that McCown was the QB that gives them the best chance to win. He is right about that. Cleveland hasn't been winning but the QB play is way down the list of why. McCown has actually been pretty good.

McCown has been hurt a lot this season and so during the bye week, with McCown getting hurt again and Johnny having a decent showing against Pittsburgh, Pettine said Manziel would be the starter for the rest of the season.

Then without throwing a pass, Johnny is demoted to 3rd string. The reason is a lack of trust. He and Pettine had a conversation before the bye week about being responsible and not making the news for the wrong reasons, etc. Johnny then went and did what he did. He is an irresponsible "teenager" with a rich daddy who always got away with anything and everything.

Not on Pettine's watch.

I like Pettine. He is hard-nosed. I can't explain why his defense is terrible this season. It was supposed to be the team's strongest unit. It isn't.

Any way, Johnny is being taught a lesson. They think he can play but aren't sure. He has made tremendous progress since last season with just being a professional. The remainder of the season was supposed to be the time to answer whether he can be an NFL QB. But Johnny will have to earn another shot. It will probably come as a result of Austin David getting knocked out of a game and then they'll have to put Manziel in.

I am unable to read whether Cleveland is benching him and done with him or if they are punishing him and then will give him another chance at the end of the season.

My guess is that they want to see what he's got to know if their first pick in the draft should be QB or try for one a little later in the draft. The truth is, they still need another QB.

As to whether anything good ever came out of Cleveland... the Hall of Fame would have quite a few empty spots if not, Cincinnati wouldn't have an NFL team, thank you very much Paul BROWN, and I could mention quite a few NFL coaches who came from Cleveland's tree, like Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and the nefarious Bill Belichick, to name a few.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Ft Worth police were called to an alleged altercation with JFF and his girlfriend. No charges.

To answer the original thread question I don't see how in the world Hue Jackson and the Cleveland Browns can depend on Johnny. Hopefully a change of venue helps Johnny get his act together, I would like to see him in the NFL.

To answer the original thread question I don't see how in the world Hue Jackson and the Cleveland Browns can depend on Johnny. Hopefully a change of venue helps Johnny get his act together, I would like to see him in the NFL.

Hell, you kinda have to dedicate yourself a little to your profession and he hasn't shown it yet...............but again, it is the Browns.