Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rule Changes Video

Featured Replies

Hasn't that always been the case? I'm pretty sure Mr. Cat called a T on someone a couple seasons ago for that. 1st time I'd ever seen it called.

 

Wait, that was high school...nevermind.

I was there for that call. It was a horrible call.

  • Author
So' date=' the ball is dead and a coach can call a TO after a made basket clears the cylinder and before the inbounder gets possession of the ball? So the ball can be dead while the clock is running? Confusing.[/quote']

 

Sort of. The ball is dead until the thrower has it ready to throw it in. That's different than "gets possession."

I was there for that call. It was a horrible call.

 

I'm sure you had a better view at the other end of the gym. :lol2:

A bench-called TO within 30 seconds of a media TO becomes a media TO. Nice.

 

So does that mean the team isn't charged with the timeout, or there just won't be a media timeout 30 seconds later?

  • Author
So does that mean the team isn't charged with the timeout' date=' or there just won't be a media timeout 30 seconds later?[/quote']

 

Latter

No more closely guarded count on a dribbler. I assume that was in exchange for a shorter shot clock.

 

Not a fan of this change. Good defense is being punished. No good reason to pressure the dribbler anymore.

A player can be charged with a T if it was determined during review that he faked being fouled.

 

Does this include the guards who are dribbling and act like they have been shot when a defender breathes on them? I. Hate. That.

Coach cannot call a TO during live ball.

 

I think I like this change too. Puts more responsibility on the players.

 

A bench-called TO within 30 seconds of a media TO becomes a media TO. Nice.

 

Very happy they made this switch.

These rules are making a lot of changes to the game. There will be more soft pressing because of the shot clock change (if it takes a team 9-10 seconds just to cross half court, 20 seconds is not enough time to run through a set more than once).

 

We have had 2 scrimmages so far and in the second one there were probably close to 50 fouls called. Our starting lineup would have all fouled out if they were keeping track.

 

Perhaps D1 is different, but for my conference (D3) the restricted arc will not be extended until next season.

 

Another interesting change - the refs no longer count the 10- second back court violation. Instead they wait until the shot clock is at 20. So if a defensive team fouls in the backcourt with 22 seconds left on the shot clock, the offensive team only has 2 seconds to get the ball across half court. In past years it was my understanding that the 10 second count reset.

 

The no-5 second while dribbling call makes me think that it dis-incentivizes (word check?) strong ball pressure and playing hard defense in general.

 

And, my favorite change of all? Dunking is now permitted in warmups. Now I won't get T'd up for it like I did 3 years ago. :D

  • Author

 

Another interesting change - the refs no longer count the 10- second back court violation. Instead they wait until the shot clock is at 20. So if a defensive team fouls in the backcourt with 22 seconds left on the shot clock, the offensive team only has 2 seconds to get the ball across half court. In past years it was my understanding that the 10 second count reset.

 

 

I am going to need to do some research. I can't believe the above is true. Why incentive the defense to foul?

I was there for that call. It was a horrible call.

 

Most color commentators would think that...but I have never known @TAC to miss a call....:walk:

  • Author
I am going to need to do some research. I can't believe the above is true. Why incentive the defense to foul?

 

It would reset in your example.

 

The only time it does NOT reset is if the D caused the ball to go OOB, the offense retains possession on a held ball, or if the offense is hit with a T.

It would reset in your example.

 

The only time it does NOT reset is if the D caused the ball to go OOB, the offense retains possession on a held ball, or if the offense is hit with a T.

 

Thanks for the clarification Clyde.

 

When reading, I thought they would then just call it a back court violation if the clock got to 12 in that scenario.

Does this include the guards who are dribbling and act like they have been shot when a defender breathes on them? I. Hate. That.

 

Example: Harrison Twins

I don't like the 5 second rule going away. Even though it would hardly be used in the NBA I don't like that they don't have it either.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.