Seeded Upsets Round 1

Jumper_Dad

I'm sure Eminence wasn't enthralled with the idea of traveling to Fort Mitchell either.

Football games are played once a week, basketball and soccer can be played on back-to-back nights. My major problem with the playoff setup as is, is that the season goes too long, and too far into December. I loved the old setup where the state football championships were decided on Thanksgiving weekend.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you don't think #2 seeds should be in either? You just wanting 1 per district in the playoffs?

Yep. Should be best teams in state. Ludlow was 2 seed up here, no business being in playoffs. Only solution though is to go back to 4 classes. Way too many teams, season way too long.

I don't think Campbell County should have been in it as a 2 seed.

I agree but I don't think there should be 3 team districts and some others have 6 teams. Also don't like that all the teams don't make the playoffs.

There needs to be a revamp of the system. I will say looking at the scores, there seemed to be more competitive games this year.

Yep. Should be best teams in state. Ludlow was 2 seed up here, no business being in playoffs. Only solution though is to go back to 4 classes. Way too many teams, season way too long.

But when you start limiting it you will invariably have issues with ties in districts and what could be the best team getting left out. I will always side with playing it out on the field in the playoffs, let them all in and let it play out on the field.

There were two districts with 3 way ties for first place, how do you decide which 2 teams don't make the playoffs?

I agree but I don't think there should be 3 team districts and some others have 6 teams. Also don't like that all the teams don't make the playoffs.

There needs to be a revamp of the system. I will say looking at the scores, there seemed to be more competitive games this year.

Isn't that a problem of Geography more than anything else.

Same way you decide the seeding. Tiebreakers, etc. It's not ideal but it's possible.

But why take the chance on leaving the best team out when all can settle it on the field in the playoffs. Current tiebreaker based on wins of your opponent isn't the best way to do it either.

Not all districts are created equal, so not all runner-ups are created equal. Maybe district winners and fill the rest with computer rankings? I think Ohio uses computer rankings for a lot of their playoff seeding, for example.

A variant of Ohio's system could be very interesting. District winners are guaranteed entry and then the remaining number of teams (eight or sixteen, depending on whether or not you want to give the district winners a bye first round) are selected by overall rankings. Ironing out the details could be challenging though. Still, Harbins is a workable system, calpreps rankings could be considered, or a Kentucky-centered ranking system could be developed.