Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why Does Football Get Broken Out Into Classes (1 - 6)?

Featured Replies

Being relatively knew to Kentucky and also BGP, I thought I would throw this out there per chance anyone knows the answer. I'm curious because I have seen various BGP posters comment in several other forums about KHSAA not recognizing the All A state champions in other sports such as basketball, soccer and also baseball.

 

With the exception of football who has 6 classes, track and cross country have 3 classes/groupings, why do the other sports have to compete against all schools to hold the state title?

 

I just don't see how it's fair competition for the smaller schools to have to compete against the larger schools.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many will argue that 6 classes for football is too many.

Basketball is one class out of tradition as much as anything, well that plus the cash cow that is the Sweet 16 for the KHSAA.

No idea why some of the other sports are still one class...except for the fact that some of the best programs in them are also at some of the smaller schools which shows that small schools can compete against the big boys.

More classes equal more games and more games equal more $.

Being relatively knew to Kentucky and also BGP, I thought I would throw this out there per chance anyone knows the answer.

Out of curiosity, what state(s) are you most familiar with? How do they do their class system?

To me, football should be the only sport in any state broken up into classes. Kentucky High School Basketball is the greatest thing about this state. We simply do it better than everyone else and there is literally nothing better than crowning ONE champion every year.

To me, football should be the only sport in any state broken up into classes. Kentucky High School Basketball is the greatest thing about this state. We simply do it better than everyone else and there is literally nothing better than crowning ONE champion every year.

Maybe, but how does one provide the argument that more classes in football equals more kids playing and wanting to play, but at the same time say in Basketball one champion is great? I think some are talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Its all about the money. The KHSAA will profit between 1.2 to 1.5 million per year off the sweet sixteen. All the other sports combined wont bring in 50K to 100k. (probably lose money). Football is probably the only sport other than girls basketball that adds any money to the khsaa wallet. Still the 6A system for football was actually a compromise concocted by the khsaa after khsaa school membership voted to separate public and private schools. That and the possibility that ST X and Trinity could possibly play each other in certain calendar years (and bring money in to khsaa wallet) are why we have a 6 class system.

Maybe, but how does one provide the argument that more classes in football equals more kids playing and wanting to play, but at the same time say in Basketball one champion is great? I think some are talking out of both sides of their mouth.
To me bigger schools have an advantage in football not because they have better athletes, but because they have more depth. Whereas the smaller schools might have players playing both sides of the ball and the big schools can sub players in and out. Thats why I think only football should have classes. In basketball I think depth is less important. Yeah it helps a little to have a better talent pool to choose from, but really its about having 5 guys that are better that are better than your 5 guys. But as far as football classes go, I think the KHSSA should really look at reform. I believe the classes should be divided based not on school size, but rather sports participation rate. I know in my area Grant Co. is a 5A school for football and Owen Co. is 2A I believe. Grant Co. and Owen Co. have roughly the same amount of kids playing football, but yet Grant Co is in a district with Cov-Cath, Dixie and Highlands. I'm sure there are issues like this elsewhere in the state too.
Being relatively knew to Kentucky and also BGP, I thought I would throw this out there per chance anyone knows the answer. I'm curious because I have seen various BGP posters comment in several other forums about KHSAA not recognizing the All A state champions in other sports such as basketball, soccer and also baseball.

 

With the exception of football who has 6 classes, track and cross country have 3 classes/groupings, why do the other sports have to compete against all schools to hold the state title?

 

I just don't see how it's fair competition for the smaller schools to have to compete against the larger schools.

 

To answer a question with a question...what states DON'T break their football into classes? If there is one, I'm not aware of it.

 

With that said, I fall into the group that believe 6 classes is too many, but that's another thread all unto itself and has been debated endlessly here.

To me bigger schools have an advantage in football not because they have better athletes, but because they have more depth. Whereas the smaller schools might have players playing both sides of the ball and the big schools can sub players in and out. Thats why I think only football should have classes. In basketball I think depth is less important. Yeah it helps a little to have a better talent pool to choose from, but really its about having 5 guys that are better that are better than your 5 guys. But as far as football classes go, I think the KHSSA should really look at reform. I believe the classes should be divided based not on school size, but rather sports participation rate. I know in my area Grant Co. is a 5A school for football and Owen Co. is 2A I believe. Grant Co. and Owen Co. have roughly the same amount of kids playing football, but yet Grant Co is in a district with Cov-Cath, Dixie and Highlands. I'm sure there are issues like this elsewhere in the state too.

Good luck. I've been preaching the same thing for years and I'm consistently told I'm wrong.

 

Good assessment.

To me, football should be the only sport in any state broken up into classes. Kentucky High School Basketball is the greatest thing about this state. We simply do it better than everyone else and there is literally nothing better than crowning ONE champion every year.

 

Kentucky and the KHSAA does the tournament system better than everybody else from a fans standpoint. No question about that.

 

As far as talent, in comparison to numbers anyway of football, I'd say it's about even; if not an edge to football.

Its all about the money. The KHSAA will profit between 1.2 to 1.5 million per year off the sweet sixteen. All the other sports combined wont bring in 50K to 100k. (probably lose money). Football is probably the only sport other than girls basketball that adds any money to the khsaa wallet. Still the 6A system for football was actually a compromise concocted by the khsaa after khsaa school membership voted to separate public and private schools. That and the possibility that ST X and Trinity could possibly play each other in certain calendar years (and bring money in to khsaa wallet) are why we have a 6 class system.

Really though, how much more money is the KHSAA making with the 2 additional classes?

I think there should be 4 classes with a 5th "super class" comprised of the top big schools and others who would volunteers to play the best. I know where in the time where we think everyone deserves to make the playoffs. But realistically what's the point of a top seed blowing out a 0-10 team in the playoffs

  • Author
Out of curiosity, what state(s) are you most familiar with? How do they do their class system?

 

I'm not familiar with any other states as I just recently returned to the country after being in Germany for 6 years. I reconnected with a buddy of mine from high school and have been to several of his kids (boys & girls) high school sporting events and have heard other people discussing this so I thought I would throw it out here.

I think there should be 4 classes with a 5th "super class" comprised of the top big schools and others who would volunteers to play the best. I know where in the time where we think everyone deserves to make the playoffs. But realistically what's the point of a top seed blowing out a 0-10 team in the playoffs

 

I had a referee tell me that KHSAA says its about "participation" for the 6 classes. I'm with you on the 4 classes, you make an interesting point about a "super class". It is very diluted as its sits right now.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.