October 13, 201510 yr I'd deal with the gang bangers individually and leave the rest alone . Of course, the term "gang" means they do not usually operate outside of a group setting, but anyway.
October 13, 201510 yr Why would any routine average logo be taboo ? Like Nike , Army , Tommy , Levi's , Guess etc etc . Whats wrong with large logo's on a tee shirt or hoodie ? Because it's part of the dress code. People can dislike the rule all they want, but this wasn't about it being an Air Force logo. The same thing would be done regardless of what the logo was of. Which gets back to Deuce's question...If it had been a Nike logo, would any of you care about this?
October 13, 201510 yr Of course, the term "gang" means they do not usually operate outside of a group setting, but anyway. You sure got me on that one .
October 13, 201510 yr What if it was a large crescent moon and Arabic writing under it, would people still be upset? Or would they THEN say "well, it is the dress code". This has to do with a dress code, I don't agree with it, it has nothing to do with the US or armed forces.
October 13, 201510 yr I've always thought school uniforms should be in every school. Take the subjectivity out of it. Schools don't like to operate in areas of grey anymore , so why not just go the uniform route already.
October 14, 201510 yr Because it's part of the dress code. People can dislike the rule all they want, but this wasn't about it being an Air Force logo. The same thing would be done regardless of what the logo was of. Which gets back to Deuce's question...If it had been a Nike logo, would any of you care about this? I would have cared greatly. Loyal Nikeist in America have been steadily having our brand taken away by Under Armour. No more I say! From my cold dead hands. Although I guess it would be feet and legs. Edit: and as far as actually contributing to the duscussion, I'm a big fan of school uniforms. But I do think there should be multiple options for it. Several color options for shirts and pants. Because I look good in white pants or some salmon shorts.
October 14, 201510 yr I've always thought school uniforms should be in every school. Take the subjectivity out of it. Schools don't like to operate in areas of grey anymore , so why not just go the uniform route already. I won't go as far as a "uniform" in public schools but a strict dress code would be my solution. It eliminates the wasted time teachers/administrators waste on this inane issue.
October 17, 201510 yr I won't go as far as a "uniform" in public schools but a strict dress code would be my solution. It eliminates the wasted time teachers/administrators waste on this inane issue. Woodford Co has a strict dress code. Tried to enforce it as written. 10 meetings and a dozen news reports later they are making a compromise of some sort. Talk about wasted time.
October 17, 201510 yr This just reinforces my issue with schools as "systems". A profession with likely more hours of classroom education than any other, yet we continue to find distinct opportunities to demonstrate how we can't think.... A code is set. The clothes don't meet the code. The family knows the code but gets mad anyway. Who can't think?
October 17, 201510 yr If the logo is too big, it is too big. I've seen many different dress codes that don't allow ANY logo's, and some that restrict the size of the logo. Don't like the dress code? Send your kid to a different school. Or go talk with the the SBDM with your concern. There are parent and teacher reps who DO have the power to make a change in the school policy. Deciding that the policy doesn't apply in an emotional fit is NOT the way to go about it.
October 17, 201510 yr If the only world you have ever operated in, for instance a school, is the only frame of reference you have for life....what in world are we teaching our kids ? When will school systems learn that there is a lot more to life than just school structured rules ? And if you've never been in an educational role within a school, your frame of reference is also limited.
October 18, 201510 yr If the only world you have ever operated in, for instance a school, is the only frame of reference you have for life....what in world are we teaching our kids ? When will school systems learn that there is a lot more to life than just school structured rules ? Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but this sounds like an argument against (presumably) parochial schools.
October 19, 201510 yr And if you've never been in an educational role within a school, your frame of reference is also limited. The problem is that the educational system is not open to seeing the other side of the coin. You can take up for teachers all you want, I have no issues with teachers. Is there job tough, sure, but it's not necessarily any tougher than anyone else's job. It's not being in a "educational role" within a school, it's the how the system treats it's "customers". The educational system in America is broken. The problem is that government has created a situation that makes it less and less likely to be able to be fixed because it will continue to protect employees of a broken system rather than look at root cause issues and what is best for the customers' future. If we don't start looking at our schols as a place to build the future workforce of America, and not a place for every single student to leverage themselves into a college somewhere, we will never make progress. If you are a teacher, good for you, I'll give you that your job is tough....if you can't see that the system needs a major overhaul, then we have a much greater issue at hand.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.