October 20, 201510 yr I can agree with a lot of this. I think there are a lot of educators who believe that a major overhaul needs to take place in education so that kids will develop 21st century skills and that the current model of accountability does not reward anything other than test prep. I will disagree that it isn't harder than other jobs. Yesterday I personally administered Diastat to a kid having a seizure only to watch the parent refuse to let EMS take the student to the hospital. I personally worked with a student who regularly threatens to kill staff and occasionally rips off her clothes and spreads the blood from her period all over the walls. Oh, btw, the state sees no difference in how she is tested for accountability so once we get her new clothes we have to get back to the required content. I got blasted by a parent who didn't like that her kid got a B after the kid was allowed to make up missing work and still didn't turn it in. I had an email from a parent who said I wasn't a real Christian because our boys basketball tryouts are on a Wednesday night that should be reserved for church. I got another email saying that "See You At The Pole" is a religious event that should be outlawed and threatened to go to the news and Westboro. We welcomed a transfer student who was kicked out of a boarding school because his behavior was not acceptable there. I ended the day working with the local police to try to help locate an 8th grader who ran away from home on Friday night and is still missing. My Facebook status is about how wonderful out chorus concert was... because it was great and because our "customers" can't handle the rest of the story. And they shouldn't have to. So teachers keep all that compartmentalized and do their best to put great value on each parent's concern. But when someone wants to argue about a clear dress code violation, it seems kind of ridiculous compared to all the rest. It may seem like "power and control" are the goals but really things like dress codes are in place to eliminate subjective issues and allow educators to focus on teaching content. To then be insulted about being an "educated idiot" and "unable to think" and bein told how the degree isn't difficult to obtain just didn't sit well. Education is hard. People have no idea. I described one day... Haters gonna hate. I don't disagree that your job is not hard, I never suggested otherwise, though I know it was suggested in this thread, along with the other statements you mention. The first bolded part I have no doubt you believe. To me, it is a very sad sentence, and even sadder because you believe it. Read it again. That sentence could easily be inserted into Orwell's 1984 without doing any damage to the text. You described one day, and ended it with "haters gonna hate." What I found interesting was how you chose to describe your day. At no point did you describe any interaction with a decent and caring parent. You chose to describe your job, the parents, and the students in an unrelentingly negative way, with a small exception of the choir concert. Then you ended with "haters gonna hate." To which I say "apparently so."
October 20, 201510 yr I don't disagree that your job is not hard, I never suggested otherwise, though I know it was suggested in this thread, along with the other statements you mention. The first bolded part I have no doubt you believe. To me, it is a very sad sentence, and even sadder because you believe it. Read it again. That sentence could easily be inserted into Orwell's 1984 without doing any damage to the text. You described one day, and ended it with "haters gonna hate." What I found interesting was how you chose to describe your day. At no point did you describe any interaction with a decent and caring parent. You chose to describe your job, the parents, and the students in an unrelentingly negative way, with a small exception of the choir concert. Then you ended with "haters gonna hate." To which I say "apparently so." I am not an administrator but I can attest to the fact that on some days, administrators get NO positive interaction. They are only dealing with the negative issues. An assistant principal at my former school was a very close friend of mine. A better person than her simply does not exist, but I know that there are days in which she simply has to deal with all of the bad issues...if not, who else will?
October 20, 201510 yr What would you like for schools to do about this? The schools are doing what they think is best for the kid. If the parent can't advocate or doesn't know what to advocate for, then what is the school doing wrong? Advocating more strongly for the family as a whole. It's been my experience that the schools, because of the administrative requirements in these situations, are reluctant to commit to providing the legally guaranteed services and are more likely to make sure all the paperwork is correct. You and I both know that when a family with clear deficits presents themselves it is typically obvious they need more than a quick pass IEP to make the student successful. It's not what the schools are doing wrong, it's what they are not doing enough right that is an issue.
October 20, 201510 yr I can agree with a lot of this. I think there are a lot of educators who believe that a major overhaul needs to take place in education so that kids will develop 21st century skills and that the current model of accountability does not reward anything other than test prep. So teachers keep all that compartmentalized and do their best to put great value on each parent's concern. Education is hard. People have no idea. I described one day... Haters gonna hate. This is all that I believe most are saying, the problem is that you just can't get the system to see the better half of the argument...because the same people that believe the current education system is solid do not have the ability to see and understand what the world of work outside school looks like. From a professional perspective, keeping it all compartmentalized is a poor answer. It's not in keeping with a good helping model and cannot possibly lead to a sustainable, healthy teaching environment. Why is that culture being cultivated and accepted within the profession ? Some people do have an idea what an educational day looks like. It's not a competition for who has the worst day job. I think you will find most people are aware enough to understand that teachers are paid less for doing more than a lot of other professionals. I will say again, it's not the teachers...they are pawns in the system that thrives on attendance and test scores to bring budgets in line and fund the machine. If it's not broken, it's certainly not far off
October 20, 201510 yr Sadly, many parents want the school to fix their kids in every regard. That's for the poor parenting thread and I couldn't agree more...not the school's responsibility, but they become the de facto parental unit
October 20, 201510 yr the system that thrives on attendance and test scores to bring budgets in line and fund the machine. I can't argue with you here.
October 21, 201510 yr I don't disagree that your job is not hard, I never suggested otherwise, though I know it was suggested in this thread, along with the other statements you mention. The first bolded part I have no doubt you believe. To me, it is a very sad sentence, and even sadder because you believe it. Read it again. That sentence could easily be inserted into Orwell's 1984 without doing any damage to the text. You described one day, and ended it with "haters gonna hate." What I found interesting was how you chose to describe your day. At no point did you describe any interaction with a decent and caring parent. You chose to describe your job, the parents, and the students in an unrelentingly negative way, with a small exception of the choir concert. Then you ended with "haters gonna hate." To which I say "apparently so." 1984 - c'mon man. The point of the post was to give a glimpse of how hard it is some days. If we want to start a thread about awesome stuff that happens in schools I can fill that page up too.
October 21, 201510 yr 1984 - c'mon man. The point of the post was to give a glimpse of how hard it is some days. If we want to start a thread about awesome stuff that happens in schools I can fill that page up too. Yeah, 1984. That's why I suggested reading that sentence again. Here is your sentence: It may seem like "power and control" are the goals but really things like dress codes are in place to eliminate subjective issues and allow educators to focus on teaching content. Originally, I had typed out all the problems with that sentence. I went back and deleted it all, sparing everyone lol. I will leave it at this, imo, there is a lot wrong in there.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.