PA Announcer Ejected from the Stadium

sports fan

What are everyone's thoughts on what they want from a PA announcer? If a PA announcer gets excited on the mic when the home team gets a first down ... is it ok for PA to do a long exagerrated, "Fiirrrsssttttt doooooooooown (insert home team)!!" How much homerism and cheerleading is ok?

What are the big no no's?

For me, play by play during live action is a major no no. In many states that is against the rules.

Commenting on officials is absolutely a no no. I don't blame the officials in the above story for ejecting an announcer.

I would like to hear what others like and don't like about PA announcers.

In the games I have been PA and or spotter for, we have always given an equal treatment to both teams, treating the visiting team as our guests. Always introducing captains for both teams, recognizing the officiating crew, giving the names of players on both squads for catches, throws, runs,tackles etc...even going so far as introducing the visiting team's cheerleaders by name if we introduce ours. Sure, we may be a bit more enthused when the home team does well, but nothing overboard and no ridiculous homerisms.

I am old school. Don't like homerism even it is is my team. John Tong at UL comes to mind. The one exception is during player intros (usually basketball) when there is a little more energy in the PA voice when the home team players are introduced. Otherwise I think the PA guy should be a reporter, and not a fan.

PA guy had to be ejected.

Bigger issue to me is the penalty wasn't enforced properly. If MS uses NFHS rules (not all states do) then I'm 99% sure the TD should have counted and the 5-yard penalty should have been on the XP.

This same wrong call happened in a OK playoff game and the school went to court. Court said that while the rule was misapplied (TD was negated) the game would NOT be replayed with a minute left. Cost the team the game.

What are everyone's thoughts on what they want from a PA announcer? If a PA announcer gets excited on the mic when the home team gets a first down ... is it ok for PA to do a long exagerrated, "Fiirrrsssttttt doooooooooown (insert home team)!!" How much homerism and cheerleading is ok?

What are the big no no's?

For me, play by play during live action is a major no no. In many states that is against the rules.

Commenting on officials is absolutely a no no. I don't blame the officials in the above story for ejecting an announcer.

I would like to hear what others like and don't like about PA announcers.

Showing a little more enthusiasm for the home team is fine, IMO. Like in your First Down example, that's okay in my book.

Any kind of color commentary isn't acceptable. After a play is run this is what I think should happen:

Who carried/caught/threw

Who Tackled

Yardage gained/lost

Down and Distance and the yard line the ball is on

Anything beyond that should be left out, I think. Commenting on the officiating is just stupid.

Bigger issue to me is the penalty wasn't enforced properly. If MS uses NFHS rules (not all states do) then I'm 99% sure the TD should have counted and the 5-yard penalty should have been on the XP.

This same wrong call happened in a OK playoff game and the school went to court. Court said that while the rule was misapplied (TD was negated) the game would NOT be replayed with a minute left. Cost the team the game.

I did some checking into this. TD should have counted. Luckily, the team that was penalized ended up winning the game.

Texas and Massachusetts are the only two states that do not follow NFHS rules, they use the NCAA rules.

I did the PA for the NewCath/Conner game a couple of weeks ago, and while I refrained from adding any color commentary, I did add "nice run" or "nice catch" when warranted to both teams. I didn't think this was "stepping over the line". I also threw in a nickname for Jonathan Harris of NewCath......"hair-ball".

I guess I'm of the old school too. In my opinion, if you want all the hoopla, listen to your team's radio broadcasters. I think that it is a professionalism to announce a game as bias as possible. I know when you get to the NBA and major college basketball, they do all the hype stuff. I just don't think it's necessary for high school football. JMO I was at a game a few weeks ago, videoing in the booth, and the announcer was so obnoxious, I almost left and taped the game somewhere else, the only catch was, I would still have to hear him over the loud speaker.

The other question that has arisen is jurisdiction of the officials over the PA guy. I don't think they can eject. They can mention it to game management and ask them to do something.

PA guys are part of the game staff and as such held to a higher standard of behavior then fans. They may not be able to eject them but they can ask them to be removed from announcing and hold the game u until it's done.

I've seen chain crew tossed for criticizing officials.