Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mass Shootings in 2015

Featured Replies

How would it be possible to ask gun shop owners to do medical background checks ? Hippa laws prevent that sort of thing , IF , IF all we are going to offer up as an improvement in gun control laws is asking at the time of purchase " are you suffering from mental illness or depression" then we might as well wave the white flag . If a sick evil individual wants to buy a gun to kill multiple people he isnt going to mind lying to purchase the gun .

 

Make it part of the background check.

  • Replies 68
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well you are partially catching on, I think you're acknowledging to an extent it's not all the guns fault.

 

I wish I could say the same for you. The fault, all of it, belongs to the people who are doing the shooting. Attributing fault is not the issue, nor is your attempt to be clever by insinuating that I had previously said the fault was with the guns. With the fault clearly and squarely placed, I will repeat, in the hope that you can partially catch on, that the problem is our children being slaughtered in schools and the issue is how to reduce that. You can be as clever, and as disingenuous, as you wish, but it won't change my mind nor will it get us any closer to stopping these horrific acts.

To be performed by who ? My employees and I undergo constant training on the importance of handling PPI ( private patient information ) . Who do propose do a medical background check ? The only people that should know about persons mental health is their medical team .

To be performed by who ? My employees and I undergo constant training on the importance of handling PPI ( private patient information ) . Who do propose do a medical background check ? The only people that should know about persons mental health is their medical team .

 

Whomever does the background checks. If you want to own a gun, you have to consent to disclosing your mental health information.

Here you go.

 

Gun Deaths by State

 

So does that chart include accidental gun deaths?

 

Man, guns really seem to hate republicans. It's so ironic.....

I'm not debating gun control either. Dead end conversation. I was just wondering what gun control is like in Australia.

 

I found it almost unbelievable that they couldn't even purchase airsoft guns...that almost floored me when the kids told me that.

And a crazy person can't shoot someone without a firearm.

 

And a potential victim can't be saved or save themselves as easily without good person with a gun nearby to intervene.

Edited by sportsfan41

I wish I could say the same for you. The fault' date=' all of it, belongs to the people who are doing the shooting. Attributing fault is not the issue, nor is your attempt to be clever by insinuating that I had previously said the fault was with the guns. With the fault clearly and squarely placed, I will repeat, in the hope that you can partially catch on, that the problem is our children being slaughtered in schools and the issue is how to reduce that. You can be as clever, and as disingenuous, as you wish, but it won't change my mind nor will it get us any closer to stopping these horrific acts.[/quote']

 

I blame the operators and only the operators, not the tools used to commit the act. Also, if you have read any of my post, I have said time after time, that we have a severe mental health problem in this country. That's pretty much why I own all the guns that I do because I know how sick this country is.

Whomever does the background checks. If you want to own a gun' date=' you have to consent to disclosing your mental health information.[/quote']

 

The FBI does the checks thru an electronic data base.

And a potential victim can't be saved or save themselves as easily without good person with a gun nearby to do so.

 

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun.

I'd like to see those stats if they excluded Chicago. Results would still be tragic and very concerning nonetheless.

Whomever does the background checks. If you want to own a gun, you have to consent to disclosing your mental health information.

 

This is a slippery slope I'm fighting with basically what you are proposing is someone give up their right to privacy to take advantage of another constitutional right , the right to bear arms.

This is a slippery slope I'm fighting with basically what you are proposing is someone give up their right to privacy to take advantage of another constitutional right , the right to bear arms.

 

Without a doubt. As I said, either in this thread or the other, I'm more thinking out loud here. Just throwing out ideas.

Without a doubt. As I said, either in this thread or the other, I'm more thinking out loud here. Just throwing out ideas.

 

O I know and I wasn't accusing you of anything. I've had similar thoughts. I just don't think there is an easy answer.

 

I don't know of other examples where a constitutional right is infringed to take advantage of another . So with that in mind it worrys me of precedent set .

 

The other thing that worries me is how black/white our society has become on interpretation of any law or regulation. It leaves little room for grey area or nuance. So where do we draw the line on mental health and who gets a gun. Would some people avoid getting the help they needed out of fear of losing a right ?

 

But it's not hard for anyone to come to the realization that our nation is over medicated . That in of it self has led to even more mental health issues. To many children are prescribe pills that affect the brain and it has scared me for years.

 

Basically what we are talking about is how do we legislate to eliminate evil intentions. I just don't believe there is such a law that could pass .

 

In a free society, rights come with risk . If you want to be free you must also accept the risk . Whether we are talking about guns, speech, privacy , patriot act. Restrictions of right may make us feel more safe but make no mistake you are less free the more you restrict them. Without freedom , what is the point in a false sense of safety .

This is a slippery slope I'm fighting with basically what you are proposing is someone give up their right to privacy to take advantage of another constitutional right , the right to bear arms.

 

We would be getting awfully close to Patriot Act territory - recognizing it is an invasion, but maybe something some could live with. Honestly, as unrealistic as it is, Habib's idea about registering guns and tracing when they change hands seems the most sensible to me. Even if Congress was able to close all loopholes and have universal strict background checks, we would then be dealing with mentally ill individuals hiding their illness in order to not be put on a list.

 

Me personally, I am having a difficult time reconciling my opinions with my beliefs. I have strong feelings about protecting privacy and personal liberty, but in a perfect world, I wish owning a gun was a privilege and not a right.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.