Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Decision Day. What will she do?

What will Kim Davis do today? 31 members have voted

  1. 1. What will Kim Davis do today?

    • Continue to deny marriage licenses, and go to jail.
      74%
    • Resign
      9%
    • Close her office
      9%
    • Issue Licenses
      0%
      0
    • Other. Please explain
      6%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Let's be careful to not lump all who disagree into one group.

 

I would not call her a bigot. I would not make fun of her religious beliefs.

 

Thank you. :thumb:

 

 

Most IMO applaud her for standing up for what she believes in. I applaud all who challenge convention and norm. She did that. No one should have an issue with her for that aspect.

 

I'm on the fence here.

 

While I don't know the specifics regarding her four marriages, the fact that she's had so many divorces...well, that just wreaks of inconsistency. Again, I don't know her whole story, but still.

 

 

She now has to resign.

 

If I was in her shoes, I believe this is what I would do.

  • Replies 509
  • Views 45.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elected officials all over the country refuse to follow the law for various reasons or to carry out the duties in which they were elected to perform. The same goes for persons hired to enforce or uphold the law.

 

This is news because she is basing her refusal on right wing religious ideology.

There IS something embarrassing about an elected official refusing to do their job.

 

Elected officials still have rights.

Further, just like those that say people like Ref would be up in arms if a Muslim elected officer refused to do part of their job based on belief are hypocrites, I'm also seeing a bit of hypocrisy from those that are calling for this woman's head because her position differs from theirs.

 

Exactly

I cant help but think of the Oh Brother Quote when hearing about Kim Davis

"Even if that did put you square with the Lord, the State of Mississippi's a little more hard nosed"

We're in a tight spot
Let's be careful to not lump all who disagree into one group.

 

Most IMO applaud her for standing up for what she believes in. I applaud all who challenge convention and norm. She did that. No one should have an issue with her for that aspect.

I wouldn't say "applaud" her. But I give her props for standing firm. I've said it before.

I would not call her a bigot. I would not make fun of her religious beliefs.

I'll make jokes all day long as that's my nature. Bigot seems too harsh. I think she holds beliefs that are discriminatory.

 

However, the vast majority of us draw the line at the point of her not doing what the courts say she has to do. She had her day(s) in court and lost. She now has to resign. Period.
This is cut and dry to me...
Elected officials still have rights.
She doesn't have to issue a marriage license to a gay couple. Nobody is forcing her to do that. What part of that don't you understand?
Why shouldn't it be brought up. I'm sure you have no problem with Obama's DEA not enforcing drug laws in Colorado. He's an elected official, enforcing laws is his job, what's the difference?

 

Do you have some specifics here? I know pot is legal in Colorado. I don't know any cases of this being appealed to the US Supreme Court. I haven't read anything that a DEA agent is being asked to enforce the drug laws.

 

I would say that somewhere someone may not be doing their job. Certainly seems possible. Doesn't appear they have been really called on it though...

Sometimes I am very incapable. But at today I feel capable.

 

Yes it is her job.

 

Just like its a preachers job to preach the word of God, but is not allowed to mention homosexuality as a bad thing in Ky Juvie places.

So would you agree that she isn't doing her job?
Do you have some specifics here? I know pot is legal in Colorado. I don't know any cases of this being appealed to the US Supreme Court.

 

I would say that somewhere someone is not doing their job in this regard. Doesn't appear they have been really called on it though...

 

Summary: Argument (which makes sense) is that Federal law trumps state law. Early on stories said that , surprisingly, President Obama was not as friendly towards this issue as some had assumed. However, over time it has simply not been pursued. Holder said that he doesn't have unlimited resources so he is focusing on bigger issues. Believe what you will.

One other thing. I believe there are groups out there who do NOT have Kim Davis' best interest at heart and are preying on her religious beliefs to push their agenda. This could turn out very poorly for her.

Summary: Argument (which makes sense) is that Federal law trumps state law. Early on stories said that , surprisingly, President Obama was not as friendly towards this issue as some had assumed. However, over time it has simply not been pursued. Holder said that he doesn't have unlimited resources so he is focusing on bigger issues. Believe what you will.
Doesn't seem nearly as cut and dry to me.

 

...and thank you for the info.

Do you have some specifics here? I know pot is legal in Colorado. I don't know any cases of this being appealed to the US Supreme Court. I haven't read anything that a DEA agent is being asked to enforce the drug laws.

 

I would say that somewhere someone may not be doing their job. Certainly seems possible. Doesn't appear they have been really called on it though...

 

Pot is still illegal by federal standards, remember it was federal standards that over ruled the KY constitutional amendment. The DEA, a branch of the Obama administration, is not enforcing federal drug laws in Colorado. Anyone who is running a pot shop in Colorado is in violation of federal law and should be arrested. No investigation needed, they're out in the open. Someone isn't doing their job. There are other duties of a County Clerk and as far as anyone can tell those functions are still being fulfilled, so just like the Holder justice department that Clyde cited Davis has opted to not perform part of her job. Seems fairly cut and dry to me.

Further, just like those that say people like Ref would be up in arms if a Muslim elected officer refused to do part of their job based on belief are hypocrites, I'm also seeing a bit of hypocrisy from those that are calling for this woman's head because her position differs from theirs.
My position is she shouldn't have to issue ANY marriage license. The government should get out of that business all together.

 

Be careful with your generalizations.

My position is she shouldn't have to issue ANY marriage license. The government should get out of that business all together.

 

Be careful with your generalizations.

 

That's what she's done, she stopped issuing all marriage licenses. The only ones getting press are the same sex ones. In fact the last court challenge to her came from a same sex couple and a traditional couple. And for the record I've maintained all along that she should resign, just like Conway should have resigned.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.