Decision Day. What will she do?

LRCW

What will Kim Davis do today?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What will Kim Davis do today?

• Continue to deny marriage licenses, and go to jail.
    • Resign
    • Close her office
    • Issue Licenses
    • Other. Please explain

Let's be careful to not lump all who disagree into one group.

I would not call her a bigot. I would not make fun of her religious beliefs.

Thank you. :thumb:

Most IMO applaud her for standing up for what she believes in. I applaud all who challenge convention and norm. She did that. No one should have an issue with her for that aspect.

I'm on the fence here.

While I don't know the specifics regarding her four marriages, the fact that she's had so many divorces...well, that just wreaks of inconsistency. Again, I don't know her whole story, but still.

She now has to resign.

If I was in her shoes, I believe this is what I would do.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elected officials all over the country refuse to follow the law for various reasons or to carry out the duties in which they were elected to perform. The same goes for persons hired to enforce or uphold the law.

This is news because she is basing her refusal on right wing religious ideology.

Further, just like those that say people like Ref would be up in arms if a Muslim elected officer refused to do part of their job based on belief are hypocrites, I'm also seeing a bit of hypocrisy from those that are calling for this woman's head because her position differs from theirs.

Exactly

Let's be careful to not lump all who disagree into one group.

Most IMO applaud her for standing up for what she believes in. I applaud all who challenge convention and norm. She did that. No one should have an issue with her for that aspect.

I wouldn't say "applaud" her. But I give her props for standing firm. I've said it before.

I would not call her a bigot. I would not make fun of her religious beliefs.

I'll make jokes all day long as that's my nature. Bigot seems too harsh. I think she holds beliefs that are discriminatory.

However, the vast majority of us draw the line at the point of her not doing what the courts say she has to do. She had her day(s) in court and lost. She now has to resign. Period.
This is cut and dry to me...

Why shouldn't it be brought up. I'm sure you have no problem with Obama's DEA not enforcing drug laws in Colorado. He's an elected official, enforcing laws is his job, what's the difference?

Do you have some specifics here? I know pot is legal in Colorado. I don't know any cases of this being appealed to the US Supreme Court. I haven't read anything that a DEA agent is being asked to enforce the drug laws.

I would say that somewhere someone may not be doing their job. Certainly seems possible. Doesn't appear they have been really called on it though...

Do you have some specifics here? I know pot is legal in Colorado. I don't know any cases of this being appealed to the US Supreme Court.

I would say that somewhere someone is not doing their job in this regard. Doesn't appear they have been really called on it though...

Summary: Argument (which makes sense) is that Federal law trumps state law. Early on stories said that , surprisingly, President Obama was not as friendly towards this issue as some had assumed. However, over time it has simply not been pursued. Holder said that he doesn't have unlimited resources so he is focusing on bigger issues. Believe what you will.

Summary: Argument (which makes sense) is that Federal law trumps state law. Early on stories said that , surprisingly, President Obama was not as friendly towards this issue as some had assumed. However, over time it has simply not been pursued. Holder said that he doesn't have unlimited resources so he is focusing on bigger issues. Believe what you will.
Doesn't seem nearly as cut and dry to me.

...and thank you for the info.

Do you have some specifics here? I know pot is legal in Colorado. I don't know any cases of this being appealed to the US Supreme Court. I haven't read anything that a DEA agent is being asked to enforce the drug laws.

I would say that somewhere someone may not be doing their job. Certainly seems possible. Doesn't appear they have been really called on it though...

Pot is still illegal by federal standards, remember it was federal standards that over ruled the KY constitutional amendment. The DEA, a branch of the Obama administration, is not enforcing federal drug laws in Colorado. Anyone who is running a pot shop in Colorado is in violation of federal law and should be arrested. No investigation needed, they're out in the open. Someone isn't doing their job. There are other duties of a County Clerk and as far as anyone can tell those functions are still being fulfilled, so just like the Holder justice department that Clyde cited Davis has opted to not perform part of her job. Seems fairly cut and dry to me.

Further, just like those that say people like Ref would be up in arms if a Muslim elected officer refused to do part of their job based on belief are hypocrites, I'm also seeing a bit of hypocrisy from those that are calling for this woman's head because her position differs from theirs.
My position is she shouldn't have to issue ANY marriage license. The government should get out of that business all together.

Be careful with your generalizations.

My position is she shouldn't have to issue ANY marriage license. The government should get out of that business all together.

Be careful with your generalizations.

That's what she's done, she stopped issuing all marriage licenses. The only ones getting press are the same sex ones. In fact the last court challenge to her came from a same sex couple and a traditional couple. And for the record I've maintained all along that she should resign, just like Conway should have resigned.