Notre Dame Football 2015

KnightTime07

Any other Notre Dame fans out there? The team should be pretty solid this year. Lots of reason for optimism in South Bend.

All my Irish friends are more optimistic than I am. I just don't have confidence in Brian Kelly. Never was a Kelly fan. I certainly hope they get in the playoff but I seriously doubt they will.

Go Irish!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my Irish friends are more optimistic than I am. I just don't have confidence in Brian Kelly. Never was a Kelly fan. I certainly hope they get in the playoff but I seriously doubt they will.

Go Irish!

I mean all he has done is get them back to the National title game for the first time since Lou Holtz was here and actually has won some bowl games, which Notre Dame wasn't doing before he got here. So like him as a person or not, he has done a good job since he took over. However now is the year and years where he needs to establish Notre Dame as being a consistent top team.

I mean all he has done is get them back to the National title game for the first time since Lou Holtz was here and actually has won some bowl games, which Notre Dame wasn't doing before he got here. So like him as a person or not, he has done a good job since he took over. However now is the year and years where he needs to establish Notre Dame as being a consistent top team.

The National Championship year was a very lucky year for the Irish. The stars were aligned and luck was on their side in many games. They weren't close to being a top 2 team that year.

Also, the only thing Kelly has proven to me is that he does pretty well with other coaches recruits (UC and ND). He gets to the big game and then gets embarrassed. Charlie Weis did get ND to two BCS games and Kelly's record the first 5 years isn't a whole lot better than Weis. I believe Kelly average's 1 more win per year.

Here is all you need to know about Brian Kelly, this past year was his first full recruiting class that was eligible for the NFL Draft. He had 1 player drafted and he was drafted in the 7th round! The ND bball team had more players drafted this past year then the ND football team. See now why I'm not optimistic?

The National Championship year was a very lucky year for the Irish. The stars were aligned and luck was on their side in many games. They weren't close to being a top 2 team that year.

Also, the only thing Kelly has proven to me is that he does pretty well with other coaches recruits (UC and ND). He gets to the big game and then gets embarrassed. Charlie Weis did get ND to two BCS games and Kelly's record the first 5 years isn't a whole lot better than Weis. I believe Kelly average's 1 more win per year.

Here is all you need to know about Brian Kelly, this past year was his first full recruiting class that was eligible for the NFL Draft. He had 1 player drafted and he was drafted in the 7th round! The ND bball team had more players drafted this past year then the ND football team. See now why I'm not optimistic?

How many bowl games did Weis win during his time? Shoot Weis's best years came when he had other coaches recruits too. Under Weis Notre Dame progressively got worst after a good start. Under Kelly they got better and got to the top game, and then started to come back down again and then last year started to make progress again with a young team and then also won a bowl game against LSU too.

So yes like Kelly or not, he has been probably the best coach Notre Dame has had since Lou Holtz was let go for not good reason.

So far Kelly has average 2 more wins per year for the five seasons he has been at Notre Dame. In five years Weis was 35-27, while Kelly is 45-20. Weis's best season was 10-3 which finished with a 41-14 defeat to LSU in the Sugar Bowl. His worst season was 3-9. Kelly's best season was 12-1 which finished with a 42-14 defeat to Alabama in the NCG. His worst season as been 8-5 (3 times).

Weis may have brought in more 5 star recruits but they were mostly bust. Kelly so far seems to be doing more with lower rated players. While I would love to see ND kids advance and find success in the NFL, as an Irish fan that is really only secondary, to their success on the field while in college, so I'm not bothered at all by the lack of draft picks last season.

Based on the complete body of work for their first 5 seasons, I'll take Kelly over Weis anyday.

Exactly! Not sure at all how someone can sit here and act like things were the same or better with Weis than with Kelly. I can understand if people don't like Kelly as a person, that is understandable. Has he done absolutely great at Notre Dame, no. However Notre Dame has been bad off for awhile since Lou Holtz left. So for Kelly to do what he has done during his time, and with the academic issues at Notre Dame they face in recruiting as compared to other programs. I would say Kelly has so far done a good job and better than the three coaches before him. Even the National Championship year under Kelly, that was a very good team and was one of the best teams in the country. Were they one of the two best? Maybe not, just like how we seen this year the team that was considered to be the 4th best ended up proving to be the best. That Notre Dame team was very good and Kelly got them there based on how College football did their post season at that time.

Now its time for Kelly to get the program to consistently be a top program again though.

You guys are making my point for me. I never said Weis was better, I said there isn't much difference between the two. I will say this, the program was in better shape personnel wise when Kelly took over than when Weis took over. The 4 recruiting classes before Weis took over had an average ranking of 42 nationally. The 4 recruiting classes before Kelly took over had an average ranking of 9 nationally. Charlie Weis recruited 16 players that are currently on NFL rosters including Golden Tate, Kyle Rudolph, Tyler Eifert, Zack Martin, Manti Te'o among others. Lets not act like the cupboard was bare when Kelly took over. He should have had more sustainable success than Weis, he had a better starting point.

And again for the record please read this slowly, Charlie Weis and Brian Kelly stink. Not much difference between the two. Just two different odors.

On last thing, I would love nothing more than to be wrong. I hope Brian Kelly brings multiple championships to South Bend. I just don't have much confidence in him doing so.