What does Central's loss tell us?

gchs_uk9

In the past, when Central has fallen to 4A Manual it hasn't really meant much. But with fellow top 3A teams Boyle County and Paducah Tilghman notching victories over ranked 6A teams last weekend does this mean Central is a step behind the top teams in 3A?

Central was not the favorite in that game. Central is still a top team in 3A.

Belfry, LexCath, Boyle, and Central will take turns looking the most impressive. Based on who they beat you'd have to say that Boyle had the best win this past weekend.

It tells me exactly what I expected to happen.

Central's Defense looks good...real good... but their Offense simply isn't there yet. Until the next Central RB develops they are a team who relies on the big play or relies on their defense to help them score points. The Defense got them 7 against Manual... the Offense hit some home run plays but only turned those into 3 points.

Watching the highlights the story of this game was Central's Turnovers. This was a 10-7 game at the Half in favor of Central. The Yellowjackets set Manual up for two TD's with turnovers, then Manual iced the game late with an impressive scoring drive.

Manual also exposed Central's secondary by going over the top..remember Central lost a potential All-State CB last week for the season.

The Boyle win was the most impressive of the week simply because we know exactly what Central Hardin is. Boyle beat a team that will win 9 or 10 games and more than likely contend for a 6A Regional Title.

The Tilghman win is impressive in the small picture... but McCracken is a wild card. We could be talking about this as the best win any 3A team has all year...but at the same time I also wouldn't be surprised to see McCracken be one of the most disappointing teams in KY. What I am taking from the Tilghman win though is that PT has improved defensively and are a more disciplined team. That alone I think assures them in the elite company of the rest of 3A's powerhouses.

As a former coach of Mr. BRIGGS I ask all of you to pray for him. He was an All County preseason selection and tore his ACL in a scrimmage with Scott County. He has grown under Coach Scoggins and became a shut down corner. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time in his life.

It tells us nothing. Central is still trying to solve the QB puzzle. Depth was the only issue in this game. Central was the better team for a half then just simply ran out of steam. I think the bigger question is what does it tell us about Manual when they face the bigger schools with the same depth!?!

It tells us that Central is willing to schedule tough competition on a yearly basis and that they view the regular season as a tune-up for the playoffs. A philosophy that has proven to be very successful for them. They have been state champs in the past with a sub-500 regular season record.