Per McKee, Scott County is the Dallas Cowboys of Kentucky

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A single public HS in Boone or Kenton would be a threat to win a title every year in 6A. No doubt about that.

Why shouldn't we doubt it?

Games are decided by a lot more than simple enrollment. DeSales has less than half the numbers of Louisville Southern, but they beat them handily (35-0). Graves County has more than three times Mayfield's enrollment, but Mayfield still won 21-0. Bowling Green has half the numbers of St. X but they have beat them for four years running.

NKY has never actually threatened for a title in 6A even when they get to the finals. Until they are capable of putting up a decent fight with their current numbers, higher enrollment would not suddenly make them a threat.

Games are decided by a lot more than simple enrollment. DeSales has less than half the numbers of Louisville Southern, but they beat them handily (35-0). Graves County has more than three times Mayfield's enrollment, but Mayfield still won 21-0. Bowling Green has half the numbers of St. X but they have beat them for four years running.

NKY has never actually threatened for a title in 6A even when they get to the finals. Until they are capable of putting up a decent fight with their current numbers, higher enrollment would not suddenly make them a threat.

The NKY talent is spread across too many schools to be competitive at the highest levels. Not enough talent at one school to be ultra competitive but enough in the county to be pretty darn good.

you are talking small schools still compared to 6A school.

Huge difference in the number of athletes you can get when you combine 3 6A schools compared to combining 2 schools that together are still 1A or 2A etc.

St X isn't public school, we are talking about public school still which also makes a difference.

You talk about how Games are decided by a lot more than simple enrollment, then how do you think Scott Co. would do if that 1 school was all of a sudden divided up into 3 schools? 3 Schools with closed enrollment so the players would have to attend the school that is in their district. You really think they could compete? It's not like SC is a annual threat in the first place anyway....1 title under this current regime? So don't act as if 6A size schools don't benefit from the number of athletes they can choose from especially when there is only 1 public high school in the county.

you are talking small schools still compared to 6A school.

Huge difference in the number of athletes you can get when you combine 3 6A schools compared to combining 2 schools that together are still 1A or 2A etc.

St X isn't public school, we are talking about public school still which also makes a difference.

You talk about how Games are decided by a lot more than simple enrollment, then how do you think Scott Co. would do if that 1 school was all of a sudden divided up into 3 schools? 3 Schools with closed enrollment so the players would have to attend the school that is in their district. You really think they could compete? It's not like SC is a annual threat in the first place anyway....1 title under this current regime? So don't act as if 6A size schools don't benefit from the number of athletes they can choose from especially when there is only 1 public high school in the county.

I wasn't talking about combining small schools at all. I made the point that having higher enrollment doesn't necessarily make you more competitive and used those games as examples, by showing smaller schools beating larger ones. St. X and Grave County weren't exactly slouches last year either, to prove the point further.

How does St. X being private change anything?

Of course 6A schools benefit from high enrollment but you're confusing 'benefit' with 'decisive advantage'. Paul Dunbar, Louisville Eastern, and Henderson County are some of the most populous schools in the state yet none of them are even close to being threats. Until The 6A teams of NKY have the system and coaching staff that can win, increasing enrollment will do nothing.

Just to be hypothetical though, what would an all-star team out of Boone County or Kenton County (not counting privates and independents of course) look like? Give an example of the talent that is spread too thin, please.

Just to be hypothetical though, what would an all-star team out of Boone County or Kenton County (not counting privates and independents of course) look like? Give an example of the talent that is spread too thin, please.

Well, hypothetically speaking, of course it depends on what year you are talking about. For instance we

will pretend for the sake of this question that Ryle was the school that had all Boone County students attending. It was the only school just like Scott County. Let's just look at 2009-2010 or even 2011 as an example. The team would have a DI QB in Conner Hemple and 2 of the best RB's in the state in Travis Elliot and Davanta Bradley (Elliot was DI RB) along with some great WR's

and linemen all playing together. Talking to several coaches in the area, they were drooling over the team they would have had if just Cooper HS wasn't built. Now you add on that players from Conner such as Drew Barker and Cameron Fogle (both playing for UK now) and Boone Co High School players, well they would have had a pretty darn good team for years and years. So that is just a small sample of just a few years ago what 1 school in Boone

CO would have looked like. Remember 1of those schools alone had a State title game and semi final

game twice in just the last 3 years.

I think they could field a team that would be quite successful.

if you aren't familiar with Boone Co. It has 4 public High Schools all within approximately a 10 mile radius of each other. All these kids grew up

together playing together since 1st

grade but have all been split up for High School. They all played for 1 pee wee

league for decades at the same

facility only to all be split up between 4 public high schools once they are freshman. There was no feeder

program. All went there different ways in 9th grade.

Well, hypothetically speaking, of course it depends on what year you are talking about. For instance we

will pretend for the sake of this question that Ryle was the school that had all Boone County students attending. It was the only school just like Scott County. Let's just look at 2009-2010 or even 2011 as an example. The team would have a DI QB in Conner Hemple and 2 of the best RB's in the state in Travis Elliot and Davanta Bradley (Elliot was DI RB) along with some great WR's

and linemen all playing together. Talking to several coaches in the area, they were drooling over the team they would have had if just Cooper HS wasn't built. Now you add on that players from Conner such as Drew Barker and Cameron Fogle (both playing for UK now) and Boone Co High School players, well they would have had a pretty darn good team for years and years. So that is just a small sample of just a few years ago what 1 school in Boone

CO would have looked like. Remember 1of those schools alone had a State title game and semi final

game twice in just the last 3 years.

I think they could field a team that would be quite successful.

I meant this year, but eh... work with what you're given.

From the sources I checked (2015 Top Football Recruits in Kentucky and ESPN Football Recruiting - Player Rankings - ESPN) only Drew Baker (14) and Travis Elliot (12) were listed as D1 commits out of your listed group. However there was Trevon Brown (11) and Tate Nichols (10). Still that's only four players over a span of five years. Trinity alone had eight in that period of time. My doubts about this hypothetical team have not been assuaged.

Also, I think Cooper's accomplishments in 2012 were laudable, but 2014 wasn't exactly impressive. They ranked 32nd in the state (Calpreps) and only made it to the semis because of how weak their region was.

I meant this year, but eh... work with what you're given.

From the sources I checked (2015 Top Football Recruits in Kentucky and ESPN Football Recruiting - Player Rankings - ESPN) only Drew Baker (14) and Travis Elliot (12) were listed as D1 commits out of your listed group. However there was Trevon Brown (11) and Tate Nichols (10). Still that's only four players over a span of five years. Trinity alone had eight in that period of time. My doubts about this hypothetical team have not been assuaged.

Also, I think Cooper's accomplishments in 2012 were laudable, but 2014 wasn't exactly impressive. They ranked 32nd in the state (Calpreps) and only made it to the semis because of how weak their region was.

And what has SC had back in 2010 etc? That is afterall who we are comparing with afterall.

Cameron Fogle is playing for UK along with Drew Barker. This year alone just between the 2 schools of Cooper and Ryle you wold have 2 of the best linemen in the area along with 2 of the best RB's (Armstrong who led the entire NKY in rushing last year combined with Collin England who is predicted to be one of the best this year along with a DI QB Tanner Morgan and the best WR in the area in JR Danta Hendrix, so that is just 2 of the 4 schools players this year that would be on one team.

If you don't think 4 6A schools combining would be an advantage, which this entire debate is about then you don't know much about HS football in the first place. What SC has done isn't exactly impressive seeing how they have had a monopoly on the entire county. There isn't a doubt in my mind that Boone county would be a force to reckon with in football in the state if they had only 1 school in the entire county. Speaking of weak regions...did you look at SC's region in 2013? They had to beat a 2 win team (Rogers Clark 93rd ranked in ky) and a 5 win team (Bryan Station 30th ranked in ky) to get to their regional title game compared to Cooper beating 12 win teams in Woodford Co and Franklin Co.

Edited by Hellbird

And what has SC had back in 2010 etc? That is afterall who we are comparing with afterall.

Cameron Fogle is playing for UK along with Drew Barker. This year alone just between the 2 schools of Cooper and Ryle you wold have 2 of the best linemen in the area along with 2 of the best RB's (Armstrong who led the entire NKY in rushing last year combined with Collin England who is predicted to be one of the best this year along with a DI QB Tanner Morgan and the best WR in the area in JR Danta Hendrix, so that is just 2 of the 4 schools players this year that would be on one team.

If you don't think 4 6A schools combining would be an advantage, which this entire debate is about then you don't know much about HS football in the first place. What SC has done isn't exactly impressive seeing how they have had a monopoly on the entire county. There isn't a doubt in my mind that Boone county would be a force to reckon with in football in the state if they had only 1 school in the entire county. Speaking of weak regions...did you look at SC's region in 2013? They had to beat a 2 win team (Rogers Clark) and a 5 win team (Bryan Station) to get to their regional title game.

Why would we be comparing this hypothetical team to Scott County? You claimed that this team would threaten for a title every year, and Scoot County has only done that once (2013). I've been comparing the team to Trinity, St. X, and Male. You do forget, though, that in addition to winning a weak region SC went on to beat Male that year, where Cooper lost to the first strong team they encountered in 2014.

The best 'in the area' doesn't exactly impress me until the 'area' in question is competitive. Except for Highlands and small schools (NCC/Beechwood) it is not.

If your opinion is such an obvious truth that 'I must not know much about HS football' then why can't you back it up? None of your evidence has been anything close to convincing.