Fill In the Blank: Mike Trout is the Best Baseball Player Since....?

The obvious answer to the question is a young Albert Pujols, Trout's teammate.

Pujols is one of the greatest pure hitters ever, but Trout still is better than Pujols ever was. Trout is a 5 tool guy, Pujols is about a 3.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pujols is one of the greatest pure hitters ever, but Trout still is better than Pujols ever was. Trout is a 5 tool guy, Pujols is about a 3.

You need to revisit Albert's accomplishments his first decade in the league. Yeah, I know, he played for the Cards, but ...

Pujols is baseball's all-time leader for most homers, doubles and total bases first 10 years in the league. Nobody ... not Gehrig, Williams, Ruth ... posted better numbers in years 1-10. So when you and others say Trout is better than "Pujols ever was" ... that's just nonsense.

Whether Trout can put up similar numbers for an entire decade remains to be seen. And let's not forget Albert's role in leading the Cards to World Series appearances and championships.

Oh, and let's not forget that quote from Bobby Cox saying Pujols was the best defensive first-baseman he ever saw.

You need to revisit Albert's accomplishments his first decade in the league. Yeah, I know, he played for the Cards, but ...

Pujols is baseball's all-time leader for most homers, doubles and total bases first 10 years in the league. Nobody ... not Gehrig, Williams, Ruth ... posted better numbers in years 1-10. So when you and others say Trout is better than "Pujols ever was" ... that's just nonsense.

Whether Trout can put up similar numbers for an entire decade remains to be seen. And let's not forget Albert's role in leading the Cards to World Series appearances and championships.

Oh, and let's not forget that quote from Bobby Cox saying Pujols was the best defensive first-baseman he ever saw.

Like I said one of the greatest pure hitters ever. I really liked him in STL honestly. But he never had the speed, defense, or arm trout has.

Like I said one of the greatest pure hitters ever. I really liked him in STL honestly. But he never had the speed, defense, or arm trout has.

We disagree. Pujols was an excellent defensive first-baseman in his prime. Go to baseball-reference.com and compare Trout's stats years '11-'15 vs. Pujols' stats '01-'05. There is a difference. Let's revisit this argument in 5.5 years and see if Trout's achievements equal Pujols' achievements over the first 10 years of their careers. My money is on Pujols.

Pujols was one of the scariest hitters for an opposing team to face, and I'm going to need a few more years of Trout at this level to make me forget about that. But please, let's stop giving Pujols extra points for being a "great defensive first baseman." There's a reason he moved over there in the first place. It's not like he was on the team for his defense at any point in his career.

Pujols is the best pure hitter I've ever seen. His numbers were/are ridiculous.

He lost 2 MVP's early to Bonds... 2003 he was .359/43/124 and came in second..

Right now, Mike Trout does it all and that's what would separate him and Pujols if you're looking at "best player". People always throw around "5 Tool Player" but few guys really possess all 5 tools. Jr, Bonds and Mays are the guys I always think of when people say that, with Jr and Mays being clean. I also think Mays was the greatest player ever because he did it all.

If Mike Trout can keep it up and stay healthy, then I think we will say he's the best since Mays. The question will be if he can keep it up. Personally, I'm not worried about that right now I'm just going to enjoy Trout for what he is today, and that's the best player in baseball.

Pujols was one of the scariest hitters for an opposing team to face, and I'm going to need a few more years of Trout at this level to make me forget about that. But please, let's stop giving Pujols extra points for being a "great defensive first baseman." There's a reason he moved over there in the first place. It's not like he was on the team for his defense at any point in his career.

Fans of baseball who fail to recognize Pujols' defensive ability as a first-baseman during his prime need to take a second look at just how good he was playing in the field. (Just ask the Phillies when Pujols gunned down Utley at third in the 8th inning of the deciding game of the '11 NL playoffs. Link below.) If you want to look at Albert's fielding prowess in terms of metrics, he was one of the best all-time defensively at first during his run in St. Louis.

Pujols won a Gold Glove as a first-baseman in 2006 and 2010. I don't believe Trout has won a Gold Glove yet.

Game Changer: Pujols nabs Utley | MLB.com

Fans of baseball who fail to recognize Pujols' defensive ability as a first-baseman during his prime need to take a second look at just how good he was playing in the field. (Just ask the Phillies when Pujols gunned down Utley at third in the 8th inning of the deciding game of the '11 NL playoffs. Link below.) If you want to look at Albert's fielding prowess in terms of metrics, he was one of the best all-time defensively at first during his run in St. Louis.

Pujols won a Gold Glove as a first-baseman in 2006 and 2010. I don't believe Trout has won a Gold Glove yet.

Game Changer: Pujols nabs Utley | MLB.com

If he was such a good defensive player they would've kept him at 3B.

That's a lame argument. LaRussa also played Pujols in LF and RF before installing him at first. Not unlike Tony Perez. Reds started firing on all eight cylinders in early '70s when Perez moved from third to first.

They had one of the best defensive 3rd basemen in the game there. Pujols also had an elbow injury that ultimately lead him to playing 1B full time.

Just stating these facts. I am in agreement that the value of a good CF trumps the value of a great 1B glove all day.

They had one of the best defensive 3rd basemen in the game there. Pujols also had an elbow injury that ultimately lead him to playing 1B full time.

Just stating these facts. I am in agreement that the value of a good CF trumps the value of a great 1B glove all day.

Placido Palanco? Really?

[video=youtube_share;91P24mGwsmA]

Pujols isn't making any of these plays.

A comment on that video summed him up nicely. He has the glove of Mays, the speed of Henderson, and the bat of Gherig. He's going to be one of the greatest when all is said and done