Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sporting News ranks the 10 greatest UK basketball players

Featured Replies

It's really hard to see anyone but Davis at the top of this list, considering what he was able to accomplish in just one year at UK. SEC Player of the Year, National Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Freshman of the Year, Final Four MVP, 2012 Gold Medalist.

 

What do you think?

 

I completely agree. The other guys on the list may have put up MORE numbers but nothing in just one season even close to like AD did. In fact I don't think another player at any other program in the country has a resume like that in just one season.

  • Replies 33
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. Played only 3 years but is still the all time leading scorer in UK history. Dude was a beast by most accounts.

 

Issel is also the leading rebounder all-time at UK.

....

 

Issel averaged something like 34 and 13 for his career at UK, and I believe, but could be wrong, was named the SEC's player of the Century for the 20th Century. I'm not a UK guy, but putting a dude with one AWESOME year above that seems a wee bit short-sighted to me.

I completely agree. The other guys on the list may have put up MORE numbers but nothing in just one season even close to like AD did. In fact I don't think another player at any other program in the country has a resume like that in just one season.

 

Here's the difference IMO. Davis' accolades are about the "Team's Accomplishments" as much as about his accomplishments. That team was loaded with talent that allowed his Offensive deficiencies to mature and allowed him to focus on defense and let the offense come to him.

 

Issel's cast of talent was far less. He had Pratt and Steele and Mike Casey (for 2 years) but those guys don't compare to MKG, Jones, Lamb. Issel was gifted with great hops nor was he tall (6'9" in shoes) but he had stroke, muscle and determination to block out and mix it up.

 

Issel had 63 Double Doubles in three years. His Senior year he averaged 33.9 pts per game and grabbed 369 rebounds in 28 games.

 

In three years he scored 2138 points per game and grabbed 1,078 rebounds.

 

I think he's number one. AD would have been if he had stayed four years but that is conjecture. Ask Sam Bowie about "woulda, coulda, shoulda."

I loved Tony Delk but is he in the top 10?

 

Does Chapman deserve to be on the list?

Outside of the 78 championship game, would Givens be considered for this list? I was born in 75 so I have no idea, just going by what older UK fans. Should Kyle Macy be on the list?

  • Author
I loved Tony Delk but is he in the top 10?

 

Does Chapman deserve to be on the list?

 

I think Delk is certainly Top 10. He's one of the all-time top scorers in school history and was the leading scorer on what I believe to be the best college team I've seen in my lifetime. Final Four MVP to boot.

 

I loved Rex as a player, but I don't think I would include him in the Top 10.

I think Delk is certainly Top 10. He's one of the all-time top scorers in school history and was the leading scorer on what I believe to be the best college team I've seen in my lifetime. Final Four MVP to boot.

 

I loved Rex as a player, but I don't think I would include him in the Top 10.

 

Fair enough, I was just starting to follow UK when Rex came on board but I was still too young to appreciate him. How about Kyle Macy? I remember his name a lot as a kid but I don't recall his game at all.

  • Author
How about Kyle Macy? I remember his name a lot as a kid but I don't recall his game at all.

 

I was born in 1977, so I didn't see him play either.

Macy was good but not top 10

So it sounds like for the most part, the older, knowledgeable fans on here agree with the ten listed, just the order is up for disagreement?

I loved Tony Delk but is he in the top 10?

 

Does Chapman deserve to be on the list?

 

I would take Delk over Chapman. He led the Cats in scoring three of his four years. Final Four and Regional MVP.

 

One note is that there aren't really any PG's on this team of 10. Beard was a short guard but I think he was more of a scorer while Rollins ran the point.

 

Here are some that are missing:

 

Kyle Macy

Louie Dampier

Cotton Nash

Sam Bowie

Melvin Turpin

Outside of the 78 championship game, would Givens be considered for this list? I was born in 75 so I have no idea, just going by what older UK fans. Should Kyle Macy be on the list?

 

Givens is like the 4th leading scorer in UK history. He was leading scorer his last three years and was a key bench player for the '75 Runner up team. He's very deserving. Smooth as silk with his jumper.

So it sounds like for the most part, the older, knowledgeable fans on here agree with the ten listed, just the order is up for disagreement?

 

Injuries keep Bowie off the list. If he had stayed healthy he would be one of the all time greats.

 

If it's based on performance and not position I think it's as good a list as you will find. I lean heavily to those that stayed a few years and AD was the exception.

  • Author
Injuries keep Bowie off the list. If he had stayed healthy he would be one of the all time greats.

 

If it's based on performance and not position I think it's as good a list as you will find. I lean heavily to those that stayed a few years and AD was the exception.

 

Do you see Turpin more deserving than Bowie?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.