Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Serious question on profiling

Featured Replies

I'm going to ask this question without any judgement. I think this is a question that needs to be asked.

 

I'd lIke to direct toward our black members and some of our democrat posters.

 

I'm personally against racial profiling and I've never experienced it . But with the Chattanooga shooting in mind and also the last 15 years . We have a good idea of what mindset , where a person may be from and what type of religious figure may be influencing them .

 

What type of profiling is appropriate when fighting terrorism ? I'm torn. As a libertarian I don't like any racial profiling . But then I think logically and does the same standard apply to none citizens ?

  • Replies 83
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every non-citizen should be heavily vetted before being allowed to enter the country and every illegal should be detained until we can at least determine where they came from and why they are here, other than the obvious reasons..

As a democrat, and having some experience, you need to profile! To a point, as long as you are not constantly harassing the person. It goes well beyond of thinking "well they are black", or "well they are middle eastern", or "well they are Muslim", there is a lot more that you look for than the basics.

 

Let's say I am in Nigeria, and they is a middle aged tall white male committing crime, guess who they are going to stop? And I am ok with that if they have a suspicion. Once they see I am not the guy they are looking for, they will allow me to leave. But they may not even stop me, as they will look beyond the "white, middle aged, tall, male" part.

  • Author
As a democrat, and having some experience, you need to profile! To a point, as long as you are not constantly harassing the person. It goes well beyond of thinking "well they are black", or "well they are middle eastern", or "well they are Muslim", there is a lot more that you look for than the basics.

 

Let's say I am in Nigeria, and they is a middle aged tall white male committing crime, guess who they are going to stop? And I am ok with that if they have a suspicion. Once they see I am not the guy they are looking for, they will allow me to leave. But they may not even stop me, as they will look beyond the "white, middle aged, tall, male" part.

 

I get that from a local police standpoint. I'm looking more at the FBI or CIA or even preemptive actions from a national standpoint.

  • Author
Depends on what we are trying to prevent. Chattanooga type killings or Charleston type killings?

 

I think we should be able to profile both the problem is the PC world can't see the difference between legit profiling and pure racial profiling.

I think we should be able to profile both the problem is the PC world can't see the difference between legit profiling and pure racial profiling.

 

I think therein lies the problem. What would "he" look like?

  • Author
I think therein lies the problem. What would "he" look like?

 

Agreed . But we should be able to come together and realize some form of profiling is legit correct ?

A very interesting topic.

 

Kudos to LB for starting the thread.

I'm going to ask this question without any judgement. I think this is a question that needs to be asked. I'd lIke to direct toward our black members and some of our democrat posters. I'm personally against racial profiling and I've never experienced it . But with the Chattanooga shooting in mind and also the last 15 years . We have a good idea of what mindset ' date=' where a person may be from and what type of religious figure may be influencing them . What type of profiling is appropriate when fighting terrorism ? I'm torn. As a libertarian I don't like any racial profiling . But then I think logically and does the same standard apply to none citizens ?[/quote']

 

What is your definition of "profiling?"

What is your definition of "profiling?"

 

I can't speak for LB, but my operational definition would be something along the lines of "the use of personal characteristics to predict (in this case) criminal behavior/acts".

  • Author
I can't speak for LB, but my operational definition would be something along the lines of "the use of personal characteristics to predict (in this case) criminal behavior/acts".

 

To expand and answer Clyde. It's not just racial but according to what I'm researching or investigating it could play a part.

 

It could be a combination of race , religion , income , location , beliefs , dress, beliefs , actions , and much more.

I get that from a local police standpoint. I'm looking more at the FBI or CIA or even preemptive actions from a national standpoint.

 

I included my views on the federal level as well. To me it's all the same.

Profiling on a micro level is more about feel than static things like race, sex, age or anything else.

 

I used to tell people during training that we don't profile shoplifters, but we are not stupid and aren't going to avoid obvious tip offs either. Those tips offs were based on actions not physical descriptions.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.