May 27, 201511 yr So me and Lipton Bash have found common ground despite that we usually disagree most everywhere. Please consider what we say, so that your kids don't grow up to be dolts who don't know how to handle their alcohol simply because they've been told their whole life they can't, and that they are powerless against alcohol's mystique. You can control how you act when drinking, and so can your kids.
May 27, 201511 yr So me and Lipton Bash have found common ground despite that we usually disagree most everywhere. Please consider what we say, so that your kids don't grow up to be dolts who don't know how to handle their alcohol simply because they've been told their whole life they can't, and that they are powerless against alcohol's mystique. You can control how you act when drinking, and so can your kids. The law still says you are legally drunk at .08 and aren't allowed to drive while impaired.
May 27, 201511 yr Legal drinking age in Germany is 16 for beer and wine, 18 for spirits. Legal drivng age in Germany is 18. I have always felt that Germany has it right. This takes away the mystique of drinking for teens. No need for sneaking around and binge drinking to hide it from adults. Then, by the time they are allowed to drive at 18, they have had 2 years to get used to drinking. Since the German society as a whole totally frowns on drinking and driving, it happens so infrequently. Edited May 27, 201511 yr by hoops5
May 27, 201511 yr You will not be found guilty of a dui. But the penalty is greater for refusing the test. DL taken without hardship offered for a time peiord. Just so I'm understanding... I can lose my license for a period of time for refusing a FST when I know I haven't been drinking?
May 27, 201511 yr Legal drinking age in Germany is 16 for beer and wine, 18 for spirits. Legal drivng age in Germany is 18. I have always felt that Germany has it right. This takes away the mystique of drinking for teens. No need for sneaking around and binge drinking to hide it from adults. Then, by the time they are allowed to drive at 18, they have had 2 years to get used to drinking. Since the German society as a whole totally frowns on drinking and driving, it happens so infrequently. To add to your post, I don't feel like having the drinking age at 21 here does ANYTHING to stop teenagers from drinking. How many kids do we think this law actually keeps from drinking? None, IMO. Those who want to drink as teens are going to, and those who have no interest in drinking won't, regardless of the legal age. For me, I've always had the mindset that if a kid is old enough to go to war and fight for our country, he/she should legally be allowed to have a beer when they come home...
May 27, 201511 yr Just so I'm understanding... I can lose my license for a period of time for refusing a FST when I know I haven't been drinking? Yes. In ky you can refuse the feild test. But if arrested for DUI. (police smells alcohol). Then at the jail you have to take the test. Then if you are drunk the penalties double. So it a no win for the driver. It forces you to take the field test. The police use the feild blow test as cause to arrest. You could be pulled over for a tail light out and the officer could observe red eyes and ask you to take the feild test. Edited May 27, 201511 yr by Mustang75
May 27, 201511 yr Probably one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. If not everyone would refuse. lots of DUIs are not just the officer seeing someone weaving down the road. Most are stopped for other offensives then the officer finds cause to test. Smells alchol on you red eyes slurred speech.
May 27, 201511 yr I've been told by numerous people that if you're ever asked to do either a FST or breathalyzer you should tell the cop that you're more than happy to comply, but that you need to wait until your lawyer arrives. No clue as to the validity of it. :idunno:
May 27, 201511 yr .... I had a cop pull out of the chili parlor (Gold Star I think) next to Longneck's one night about midnight (out with a friend after a Xavier game) and follow me and then nearly immediately flip on his lights. I asked if I had done anything wrong, he said, "no", but a lot of folks have been leaving there under the influence lately so they were being really careful looking to prevent incidents. He apologized for stopping me, but I would have none of it and told him I appreciated them trying to prevent problems. I'm sure most would have been furious at being pulled over for just being a dude walking out of a bar, but I didn't care at all. Was very nice, just trying to protect those others on the road, and didn't mind the 10 minute delay in the least. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this. I understand your position. This is not a legal stop by what you have said. He didn't indicate that he thought you were impaired, gave no reference to any law broken, no safety related concern for the stop....just a cop hanging out in a parking lot next to a bar and deciding to follow and pull someone over. No basis and a certain impingement on your personal freedom. I would not have thanked him. I would have taken badge information and been at the station first thing next AM... The problem with a stop like this is that you no longer know where the line is as a law abiding citizen. A uniform and a badge does not give an individual the right to violate my personal freedom to come and go as I please....
May 27, 201511 yr I understand your position. This is not a legal stop by what you have said. He didn't indicate that he thought you were impaired, gave no reference to any law broken, no safety related concern for the stop....just a cop hanging out in a parking lot next to a bar and deciding to follow and pull someone over. No basis and a certain impingement on your personal freedom. I would not have thanked him. I would have taken badge information and been at the station first thing next AM... The problem with a stop like this is that you no longer know where the line is as a law abiding citizen. A uniform and a badge does not give an individual the right to violate my personal freedom to come and go as I please.... I agree 100%. The problem not many people know that was not legal. Just like walking down the street and the police wanting your ID. People hand it over without asking this simple question. Are you detaining me? If not I will be on my way. If so what crime do you suspect I've commited.
May 27, 201511 yr The law still says you are legally drunk at .08 and aren't allowed to drive while impaired. The law may say that, but I can assure you that I am in no way, shape or form drunk at .08. It's a silly arbitrary number that fails to take into account the fact that some people can handle their alcohol, while others can't.
May 27, 201511 yr The law may say that, but I can assure you that I am in no way, shape or form drunk at .08. It's a silly arbitrary number that fails to take into account the fact that some people can handle their alcohol, while others can't. Absolutely agree. I know a few people that can handle an absurd amount of alcohol. There's no question in my mind they are capable of driving unimpaired at a level higher than .08. Conversely, I know quite a few people (my wife as an example) that are impaired well before they hit the .08 level.
May 27, 201511 yr Absolutely agree. I know a few people that can handle an absurd amount of alcohol. There's no question in my mind they are capable of driving unimpaired at a level higher than .08. Conversely, I know quite a few people (my wife as an example) that are impaired well before they hit the .08 level. Don't forget your wife's friend. :lol:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.