May 27, 201511 yr It's funny that so many people think they are good at .08. Have you watched yourself drive at.08? One thing about alcohol is that it impairs your judgement, and most people probably think they are functioning better than they really are at .08. Not myself, but I have seen others do it though.
May 27, 201511 yr Not myself, but I have seen others do it though. How do you know they were .08? And did you follow them all the way home? Watched them the entire way?
May 27, 201511 yr Btw I'm of the opinion that the laws are probably good where they are. They definitely don't need to lower it from .08 t .05 like it had been suggested.
May 27, 201511 yr How do you know they were .08? And did you follow them all the way home? Watched them the entire way? Do I know for certain they were? Since I'm not a human breathalyzer test, obviously not, but I'd wager any amount of money that drinking a bucket of beer in an hour would put them at or above it. As to the second part, yes.
May 27, 201511 yr It's funny that so many people think they are good at .08. Have you watched yourself drive at.08? One thing about alcohol is that it impairs your judgement, and most people probably think they are functioning better than they really are at .08. It's still arbitrary... some people at .08 are better than some people who don't drink at all. I'm not saying it's ok to do it if you think you are "ok" at .08. The point you mention though is part of the education I speak of in my prior post. We have to a better job of educating folks about all the dangers of drinking and driving, rather than focusing on and hoping that harsh punishments will keep people from drinking and driving. We do our best to keep our kids from drinking and then turn them loose when they turn 21.
May 27, 201511 yr Do I know for certain they were? Since I'm not a human breathalyzer test, obviously not, but I'd wager any amount of money that drinking a bucket of beer in an hour would put them at or above it. As to the second part, yes. You seem so confident in your abilities, I thought you could do it all...including give someone a breathalyzer.
May 27, 201511 yr You seem so confident in your abilities, I thought you could do it all...including give someone a breathalyzer. Haven't mentioned anything about myself in here at all.
May 27, 201511 yr It's still arbitrary... some people at .08 are better than some people who don't drink at all. I'm not saying it's ok to do it if you think you are "ok" at .08. The point you mention though is part of the education I speak of in my prior post. We have to a better job of educating folks about all the dangers of drinking and driving, rather than focusing on and hoping that harsh punishments will keep people from drinking and driving. We do our best to keep our kids from drinking and then turn them loose when they turn 21. Some people can probably look and act fine at .20....doesn't mean I trust them with a deadly weapon...which is what a car becomes. A lot of people who wrecked and killed people because they were drunk probably felt fine. It takes one mistake... I agree with you on education and you can see my last post about the rest of the topic.
May 27, 201511 yr Some people can probably look and act fine at .20....doesn't mean I trust them with a deadly weapon...which is what a car becomes. A lot of people who wrecked and killed people because they were drunk probably felt fine. It takes one mistake... I agree with you on education and you can see my last post about the rest of the topic. I'm not disagreeing with any of what you say. As I said, I don't have the answer. But I don't think harsher punishments fix or do anything to prevent the problem.
May 27, 201511 yr The argument with impairment always centers around perception. The perception of the person who has been drinking is always relative to the situation. Most people do not believe they are any more impaired after drinking a couple drinks than if they hadn't, perception is their reality. The biology of the argument holds some merit, some body types can manage more intoxicants better than others, but that doesn't by rule mean the person isn't impaired. Lack of perceived impairment can also be a learned behavioral response that individuals can demonstrate some control...it does not equal not impaired as a rule.
May 27, 201511 yr My question is...just how many people feel the need to have to drive to the bar, throw back 3 or 4 brews or a few shots of bourbon, then get back in that same car and drive home? I don't get it. I have said it before in similar threads on here; if you are driving, then don't drink, period. Then there will NEVER be a question of if someone is drunk or not at .08. And if someone can't follow that simple rule, well then maybe they should think about it a lot deeper.:idunno:
May 27, 201511 yr My question is...just how many people feel the need to have to drive to the bar, throw back 3 or 4 brews or a few shots of bourbon, then get back in that same car and drive home? I don't get it. I have said it before in similar threads on here; if you are driving, then don't drink, period. Then there will NEVER be a question of if someone is drunk or not at .08. And if someone can't follow that simple rule, well then maybe they should think about it a lot deeper.:idunno: More than enough to keep bars in business all over the country. Just head down to your local watering hole, Applebees, Hooters or any other restaurant that serves fun, food and drinks. I'm guessing the number driving home legally impaired outnumber those that are designated drivers, and I'd bet several of the DD's are probably somewhat impaired as well. Don't get me wrong, none of what I'm saying makes it right. You shouldn't drink and drive. But for whatever reason, we have created a culture that for most, know it's wrong but choose to do it anyway. And I don't think locking people up changes that. The solution to the problem is much tougher than just saying "harsher penalties". We as a society need to do a better job teaching youth about responsible alcohol use, and not as good a job in promoting booze as a "fun night on the town".
May 27, 201511 yr More than enough to keep bars in business all over the country. Just head down to your local watering hole, Applebees, Hooters or any other restaurant that serves fun, food and drinks. I'm guessing the number driving home legally impaired outnumber those that are designated drivers, and I'd bet several of the DD's are probably somewhat impaired as well. Don't get me wrong, none of what I'm saying makes it right. You shouldn't drink and drive. . And I don't think locking people up But for whatever reason, we have created a culture that for most, know it's wrong but choose to do it anyway changes that. The solution to the problem is much tougher than just saying "harsher penalties". We as a society need to do a better job teaching youth about responsible alcohol use, and not as good a job in promoting booze as a "fun night on the town". Strongly agree with the bolded. That's why I say the attitude about "drinking and driving" is beyond lax in this country. It won't be solved, in my opinion, until the drinking public all realize and follow the simple rule of if you have been drinking, you don't drive. Period.
May 27, 201511 yr More than enough to keep bars in business all over the country. Just head down to your local watering hole, Applebees, Hooters or any other restaurant that serves fun, food and drinks. I'm guessing the number driving home legally impaired outnumber those that are designated drivers, and I'd bet several of the DD's are probably somewhat impaired as well. Don't get me wrong, none of what I'm saying makes it right. You shouldn't drink and drive. But for whatever reason, we have created a culture that for most, know it's wrong but choose to do it anyway. And I don't think locking people up changes that. The solution to the problem is much tougher than just saying "harsher penalties". We as a society need to do a better job teaching youth about responsible alcohol use, and not as good a job in promoting booze as a "fun night on the town". I couldn't disagree more with you more than blaming it on society. What in Hades has happened to personal responsibility in this country!!! Society doesn't make the decision for an individual to drink and drive. The individual makes that choice. If they can't keep themselves from making the choice to drink and drive, I would suggest they seek help with their problem. You can blame behavior on society all you want. It is a CHOICE.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.