NCAA Shot Clock Reduction

JokersWild24

Lack of scoring is because there is 0 mid-range game at the high D1 level. There is some at the mid-major and lower but then that is trumped by athleticism when they play the bigger guys.

High-major college basketball is played within 5 feet of the rim or at the 3 point line.......that is it.

Agree more bad basketball. Whats wrong with good spacing, patience, ball movement to get an open look as opposed to one on one pick and roll and force up a jumper?

It's not as flashy as when players fly around and take bad shots. Part of he reason I'm really losing interest in college basketball.

Lack of scoring is for the most part a product of poor officiating the other part is the volume of poor perimeter shooters.

When a good legal solid screen and a hard sharp cut are blown up by a big and strong forearm chucking the offense off their cut and no call is continually not made then that's a problem with officiating.Sadly the game has become one of brute strength over the utilization of fundamental skills

Shooting is work and becoming a really good shooter is even more work. Alot of kids want to play the game but not work on their game.

I also think that besides dropping the shot clock to 30 seconds they should consider dropping the 10 second backcourt violation basck to 8 seconds like the NBA

With all of the pressing in the collegiate game, that would probably exacerbate a lot of the "brute strength" and officiating concerns that you have with the current product. Lots more grabbing, holding, and hacking with a 20% reduction in getting it across the timeline.

Lack of scoring is for the most part a product of poor officiating the other part is the volume of poor perimeter shooters.

When a good legal solid screen and a hard sharp cut are blown up by a big and strong forearm chucking the offense off their cut and no call is continually not made then that's a problem with officiating.Sadly the game has become one of brute strength over the utilization of fundamental skills

Shooting is work and becoming a really good shooter is even more work. Alot of kids want to play the game but not work on their game.

I also think that besides dropping the shot clock to 30 seconds they should consider dropping the 10 second backcourt violation basck to 8 seconds like the NBA

I couldn't agree more! AMEN!

Lack of scoring is because there is 0 mid-range game at the high D1 level. There is some at the mid-major and lower but then that is trumped by athleticism when they play the bigger guys.

High-major college basketball is played within 5 feet of the rim or at the 3 point line.......that is it.

I was watching the Division II Championship and they were talking about the average scoring at that level compared to D1. It was substantially more a game. One of the more shocking stats I had ever heard actually. My hypothesis is that top level coaches at the top level have gotten the game catered to how they want it played, and it has trickled all through Division 1 since it is the same refs across the D1 spectrum.

I was watching the Division II Championship and they were talking about the average scoring at that level compared to D1. It was substantially more a game. One of the more shocking stats I had ever heard actually. My hypothesis is that top level coaches at the top level have gotten the game catered to how they want it played, and it has trickled all through Division 1 since it is the same refs across the D1 spectrum.

It is better basketball at that level. No there is not as many dunks/blocks/freak athletic plays, but the game is better.

• 1 month later...

Well, it is official. The shot clock has been reduced to 30 seconds. No more timeouts resetting the 10 second back court violation. 4 foot arc under the basket. Coaches can no longer call live ball timeouts. 1 timeout less per game with only 3 being able to carry over. Women's game goes to 4, 10 minute quarters.

Well, it is official. The shot clock has been reduced to 30 seconds. No more timeouts resetting the 10 second back court violation. 4 foot arc under the basket. Coaches can no longer call live ball timeouts. 1 timeout less per game with only 3 being able to carry over. Women's game goes to 4, 10 minute quarters.

If I am stuck in the backcourt and the count is at 8 or 9 I would attempt to throw the ball at the defender's feet and try to get a kicked ball call. What's the worst that can happen? And why no 10 count in Women's game?