Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shaka Smart to Texas

Featured Replies

Facts are optional guys...

 

:lol2:

  • Replies 46
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I right in my thinking that Shaka "doesn't play well with others" in terms of dealing with boosters, and the off-court stuff that goes with being the man at a big program like this?

The Billy Clyde Syndrome

Good luck to Shaka. Interesting I read an article recently about how when he played at Kenyon College (d3 in Ohio) he was devastated when head coach Bill Brown left without much notice.

First Charlie Strong in football, now Shaka Smart in Basketball. My how the sports programs have fallen at Texas. I think we are all overestimating the coaching jobs at this University if this is the best they can do. I thought these jobs should have went to ex-NFL or NBA coaches or assistants, but maybe they couldn't attract that

First Charlie Strong in football, now Shaka Smart in Basketball. My how the sports programs have fallen at Texas. I think we are all overestimating the coaching jobs at this University if this is the best they can do. I thought these jobs should have went to ex-NFL or NBA coaches or assistants, but maybe they couldn't attract that

I've been more critical of Shaka than anyone, but why on Earth would you rather have an NBA re-tread / assistant over a guy that has been aggressively working the recruiting circles for years? Do I think they could have found a better guy? Sure. Do I think I'd rather have Shaka than some NBA re-tread / assistant? Yes.

 

Texas' programs are limited only by themselves, and if this program (MBB) doesn't improve it will be because they hired the wrong College Basketball guy, not because they didn't go get an NBA guy. They have unlimited monies, an enormous fan base, the most recognizable logo in college athletics, a great city, a brand new arena on the way, and can recruit from coast to coast. No excuse not to win there in anything. None. Not to mention, Forbes has the value of their football program at $875 million dollars. Every. Advantage. Possible.

First Charlie Strong in football, now Shaka Smart in Basketball. My how the sports programs have fallen at Texas. I think we are all overestimating the coaching jobs at this University if this is the best they can do. I thought these jobs should have went to ex-NFL or NBA coaches or assistants, but maybe they couldn't attract that

 

Why would they have went after NFL or NBA coaches?

From Darren Rovell's Twitter-feed:

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49964[/ATTACH]

 

I... really like that shirt.

First Charlie Strong in football, now Shaka Smart in Basketball. My how the sports programs have fallen at Texas. I think we are all overestimating the coaching jobs at this University if this is the best they can do. I thought these jobs should have went to ex-NFL or NBA coaches or assistants, but maybe they couldn't attract that

 

Still the #1 university in athletics revenue; fertile recruiting grounds in your home state; your own cable network; awesome college city and weather; basketball arena that is already huge and has upgrades coming and a football stadium that is insanely massive; one of the biggest and best centers for student athletes in terms of workout facilities, dining halls, tutoring, lounges; very nice off-campus housing you can possibly put your players up in if you want to.

 

Those aren't things I'd associate with an awful job. Shaka Smart may flop, but it won't be because Texas didn't have potential.

 

Texas Longhorns Athletics - Facilities

I was so wrong about Curry in the NBA, I wasn't wrong about this one.

 

Good to see my thoughts on this have been pretty spot on thus far....:thumb:

Heard a conversation last night on one of the Sports' shows about Shaka Smart's failed tenure in Austin and wondered what BGP was saying about it years ago. Some folks were spot-on, some were fooled by Shaka (and there is no shame in that). They will fall short of 20 wins again this year...amazing.

Sounds like the Shaka Smart experiment in Austin may be coming to a rather abrupt end.

 

It was just a matter of time.

It was just a matter of time.

 

Not according to some of the freezing cold takes in this thread.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.