Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If Kentucky does not win it all

Featured Replies

And who could forget...

 

[video=youtube_share;grbqtWUTLDc]

  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But a loss this season would be in the team picture.

Only if they were to lose to Duke in the finals on a last second shot.

 

By Christian Laettner.

This thread is depressing! :meh:

 

Agree. I like to think positive in everything I do....this is no different.

Honestly if UK loses, I think it will have to go down as one of the biggest upsets in the program's history, given the nature of how the year has gone and how the rest of the field looks. I know they certainly could lose, but if it happens it will be a MAJOR upset.

 

Biggest ones I remember off the top of my head are NCAA losses in back-to-backs seasons to UAB and East Tennessee St. back in the early 80's. Both came in the very early rounds of what was then a 40 or 48 team tournament. Not sure how the seeding went back then, but UK was a top 4 team in the nation entering the tournament each year if I remember correctly. Both losses came in round one or two. Huge upsets, both.

 

That said, I UK loss this year, would not be near the biggest disappointment in the program's history. It would be an upset, but it's still been a GREAT season already. A loss doesn't take that away.

 

Biggest disappointment for me, the end of the Sutton era, the NCAA sanctions, and that whole train wreck. Kentucky basketball became totally irrelevant (almost non-exsistent).

For one, people need to look up the definition of "upset" as it relates to sports. UK goes down any time after today, or we will even say after the first weekend, then UK will have suffered, I don't know, a few hundred losses that would qualify as a larger upset. Now people may be more emotionally upset, but that is a whole other thread in itself. Due to the media hype it will garner more attention than these losses. As it stands today, UK has less than a 50% chance of winning the title. They are not at 99%. It is still a single elimination tournament where whacky things happen in odd environments.

Honestly if UK loses, I think it will have to go down as one of the biggest upsets in the program's history, given the nature of how the year has gone and how the rest of the field looks. I know they certainly could lose, but if it happens it will be a MAJOR upset.

 

Biggest ones I remember off the top of my head are NCAA losses in back-to-backs seasons to UAB and East Tennessee St. back in the early 80's. Both came in the very early rounds of what was then a 40 or 48 team tournament. Not sure how the seeding went back then, but UK was a top 4 team in the nation entering the tournament each year if I remember correctly. Both losses came in round one or two. Huge upsets, both.

 

That said, I UK loss this year, would not be near the biggest disappointment in the program's history. It would be an upset, but it's still been a GREAT season already. A loss doesn't take that away.

 

Biggest disappointment for me, the end of the Sutton era, the NCAA sanctions, and that whole train wreck. Kentucky basketball became totally irrelevant (almost non-exsistent).

 

It's a disappointment but not a big upset.

Honestly if UK loses, I think it will have to go down as one of the biggest upsets in the program's history, given the nature of how the year has gone and how the rest of the field looks. I know they certainly could lose, but if it happens it will be a MAJOR upset.

 

Biggest ones I remember off the top of my head are NCAA losses in back-to-backs seasons to UAB and East Tennessee St. back in the early 80's. Both came in the very early rounds of what was then a 40 or 48 team tournament. Not sure how the seeding went back then, but UK was a top 4 team in the nation entering the tournament each year if I remember correctly. Both losses came in round one or two. Huge upsets, both.

 

That said, I UK loss this year, would not be near the biggest disappointment in the program's history. It would be an upset, but it's still been a GREAT season already. A loss doesn't take that away.

 

Biggest disappointment for me, the end of the Sutton era, the NCAA sanctions, and that whole train wreck. Kentucky basketball became totally irrelevant (almost non-exsistent).

 

In '81 the Cats lost to UAB in Tuscaloosa in their First Round game. (It was UAB's second round game. Cats had a bye then) It was a home court for UAB (almost), Bowie was hurt (No one knew at the time), and KY had defeated the Blazers in the UKIT earlier. KY was the 2 Seed behind DePaul (upset by St Josephs)

 

What stung was that the Cats had defeated the eventual champs IU at Bloomington earlier and and UAB went on to be eliminated by the Hoosiers.

 

The '82 team lost to Middle Tennessee State because they were looking ahead to playing Louisville in the next round and Derrick Hord went 0-16 from the field. Difference that year was KY was a 6 seed losing to an 11.

If they lose to Hampton,,,yes.

In '81 the Cats lost to UAB in Tuscaloosa in their First Round game. (It was UAB's second round game. Cats had a bye then) It was a home court for UAB (almost), Bowie was hurt (No one knew at the time), and KY had defeated the Blazers in the UKIT earlier. KY was the 2 Seed behind DePaul (upset by St Josephs)

 

What stung was that the Cats had defeated the eventual champs IU at Bloomington earlier and and UAB went on to be eliminated by the Hoosiers.

 

The '82 team lost to Middle Tennessee State because they were looking ahead to playing Louisville in the next round and Derrick Hord went 0-16 from the field. Difference that year was KY was a 6 seed losing to an 11.

 

First of all, thanks for the info. Good stuff.

 

On the first graph, didn't UK fans travel well back then? Seems a new (at the time) school like UAB would have a hard time turning a game in Tuscaloosa into a home game over BBN. And, to be clear, UK was ranked second in the country behind DePaul, correct? I don't think they were a two seed in their region. Two seed overall?

 

In 82, how did you come up with UK as a 6 seed losing to an 11? The field of 64 with full seeding began in 85. I can't believe UK was only a six seed in their region in 82. Maybe ranked sixth?

It's a disappointment but not a big upset.

 

I'm not sure exactly what part of my post you are referring to?

 

In terms of sports, an upset is something that happens when an underdog beats the favored team.

 

If UK loses it will be a big upset.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.