Davis Love III chosen as US Ryder Cup Captain for 2016

RoyalWildcat

I am not sure how much difference it makes who the captain is. Players have to hit shots and more importantly, make putts. Captains cannot do that for them. They do obviously play a role in who plays and with whom but I think who is captain is a bit over-rated.

That being said, I would have liked to see Azinger get the nod but don't have a big problem with Love.

I am not sure how much difference it makes who the captain is. Players have to hit shots and more importantly, make putts. Captains cannot do that for them. They do obviously play a role in who plays and with whom but I think who is captain is a bit over-rated.

That being said, I would have liked to see Azinger get the nod but don't have a big problem with Love.

Agreed. They'uns is better than we'uns these days.

Davis is a good choice, I would have gone with Zinger myself.....I have come to the conclusion that the Ryder Cup is a bit like a bunch of guys going on a golf trip to Pinehurst....if you have ever gone on one of these trips, you want to leader to be someone you like, you respect and enjoy being around. When they take a stand on an issue you trust their judgement and appreciate you having the opportunity to give input. Watson, obviously didn't fit this mold. DL III is one of the guys who fits. My only concern is....is he too nice. Now it's time to make some putts.

Davis is a good choice, I would have gone with Zinger myself.....I have come to the conclusion that the Ryder Cup is a bit like a bunch of guys going on a golf trip to Pinehurst....if you have ever gone on one of these trips, you want to leader to be someone you like, you respect and enjoy being around. When they take a stand on an issue you trust their judgement and appreciate you having the opportunity to give input. Watson, obviously didn't fit this mold. DL III is one of the guys who fits. My only concern is....is he too nice. Now it's time to make some putts.

In all honesty, that's what needs to be addressed by anybody that's ever a captain. "Look guys, I'm not here to be your friend, your buddy, or your babysitter. I'm here to help get this group of guys to outplay that group of guys. You want to play more rounds? Then win the ones you're in, first. Then we'll talk."