Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Free-Range Parenting...What Do You Think?

Featured Replies

Apparently it's making a comeback. Many parents are very adament about "letting kids be kids, allowing them freedom to roam and not succumbing to the fear of something dastardly happening to them. One women even let her nine-year old son take the subway in NYC by himself. I know when my sister and I were young, mom allowed us to roam and play all over the neighborhood without much supervision. In fact, most parents did so back then.

 

This has become a hot button issue. Those who practice it are passionate about letting their kids roam free. Detractors feel it is pure neglect on the part of parents who practice this kind parenting.

 

What do you think? I saw a little girl (maybe 7 or 8 yo) awhile back riding her bike without any obvious supervision. It made me cringe. If I had a young one, I don't think I could let him/her stray far from my sight and be comfortable. My mom and many others did when we were young and no one thought anything about it. Are times that different now?

Yes, I think times are that different now. A lot more sick individuals out there than when I was a kid. I wouldn't allow it.

One thing is for sure, the laws need to catch up.

 

What one parent considers Free Range lands other parents in multiple court hearings.

  • Author
One thing is for sure, the laws need to catch up.

 

What one parent considers Free Range lands other parents in multiple court hearings.

 

 

Very true.

  • Author
Yes, I think times are that different now. A lot more sick individuals out there than when I was a kid. I wouldn't allow it.

 

 

You know, I used to feel that way but I honestly think there were probably just as many sickos back in the day when you and I were younger. There is no reason there would have been less predators back then .We just didn't hear as much about it. Now you can find how many predators are in a certain radius by just looking online. The media is all over such stories now. Chris Hansen and Dateline stakes out houses to greet pervs. We see it in our papers almost daily. I believe it was just as dangerous when I grew up in the seventies. Sis and I just got lucky, I guess. Regardless, I don't think I could let me little ones roam just anywhere they wanted like my playmates and I were allowed to do.

Soon enough you'll be able to GPS track your children if you want. Shoot, you already can if they own an iPhone. You have to draw the line somewhere, though. Subway for a 9-year old by themselves? I don't know about that one.

Soon enough you'll be able to GPS track your children if you want. Shoot, you already can if they own an iPhone. You have to draw the line somewhere, though. Subway for a 9-year old by themselves? I don't know about that one.

 

Hard to make an exact comparison here locally but suffice to say I see a trip to jail for any parent that allows something similar around this area.

  • Author

I know the free-rangers argue that parents are doing more harm that good by being" helicopter" moms and dads. I can see maybe that too much smothering might be a problem but I don't think you can be too careful with your kids. I mean what is more important than your children? Maybe I'm wrong since I'm not a parent but it scares me to think of young ones roaming without supervision.

^ Helicopter parenting is damaging to a child psychosocially whereas free-range parenting can be risky in other ways. A perfect blend seems to be the most appropriate but it's hard for every parent to be perfect.

It depends so much on the child and the environment. I do not believe in "free range" but I do believe in giving them more freedom than many parents allow.

Free range parenting is code for absentee parenting.

  • Author
Free range parenting is code for absentee parenting.

:thumb:

When I was in 7th grade my parents allowed me to take the Tank bus from Covington to the Florence Mall . I didn't see it as a big deal.

 

I don't buy the argument it's more dangerous today. Numbers just don't support it. What we do live in is the information age so we hear about every story.

When I was in 7th grade my parents allowed me to take the Tank bus from Covington to the Florence Mall . I didn't see it as a big deal. I don't buy the argument it's more dangerous today. Numbers just don't support it. What we do live in is the information age so we hear about every story.

 

I rode the TANK bus downtown and to Florence all the time when I was a kid. My mom used to let us walk around the Newport Shopping Center while she went into JC Penny's when I was still in grade school. We never thought anything of it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.