Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shocking Facts About Gun Fights

Featured Replies

  • Replies 33
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I crazy for liking a shotgun for home defense?

 

Nope, they are great for that. I'd want a Pump or Auto and not a double barrel or single shot though.

Nope, they are great for that. I'd want a Pump or Auto and not a double barrel or single shot though.

 

Definitely. I have a handgun that I could use as a sidearm as well, which I should have added.

 

Truth is, I've had PRK (like LASIK, but for people with worse vision... without my contacts I was past the level of legal blindness, i.e., worse than 20/200... and one thing that the surgery doesn't really fix is night blindness). Got a tactical laser put into the barrel of the Glock, but would really rather have a shotgun as the first choice if it really came to it just because of the spread.

Am I crazy for liking a shotgun for home defense?

 

So long as the barrel is not too long, shotguns are great for home defense. Long barrels like hunting shot guns could make moving around the house difficult. If you stick with an 18.5 or 20 inch barrel like the shot guns police use, you should be fine. While it may take several shots from a hand gun to take down an assailant, most often, one shot of buck shot will incapacitate an intruder and due to the spread, you decrease your odds of missing. A shotgun I am considering is a Mossberg 590A1. 20 inch barrel with a magazine that holds 8 shells.

Definitely. I have a handgun that I could use as a sidearm as well, which I should have added.

 

Truth is, I've had PRK (like LASIK, but for people with worse vision... without my contacts I was past the level of legal blindness, i.e., worse than 20/200... and one thing that the surgery doesn't really fix is night blindness). Got a tactical laser put into the barrel of the Glock, but would really rather have a shotgun as the first choice if it really came to it just because of the spread.

 

For home defense I'd get the shortest barrel possible (legal) and short stock. Biggest problem with a shotgun indoors is length of the weapon compared to room to maneuver.

Nope, they are great for that. I'd want a Pump or Auto and not a double barrel or single shot though.

 

Would you feel comfortable with an auto? I cannot decide. If you had that rare time where you have a bad shell, with and auto, in a moment of stress, you would have to take your finger off the trigger, feel around and charge the shotgun and then grap the grip again. With a pump, you do not need to remove your hands, just pump it to get rid of the bad shell and you never had to take your finger off the trigger. Just something I wonder about.

For home defense I'd get the shortest barrel possible (legal) and short stock. Biggest problem with a shotgun indoors is length of the weapon compared to room to maneuver.

 

That's kind of where I was going too. Shotguns probably are best you can hunker down behind cover (dresser, bed, whatever) and only use it if the assailant approaches. If you need to leave the room to secure children, it may make sense to leave the shotgun with the wife for her protection and then grab a hand gun to move about the house.

 

I would also recommend putting a Streamlight or Surefire light on all guns used for home protection.

Would you feel comfortable with an auto? I cannot decide. If you had that rare time where you have a bad shell, with and auto, in a moment of stress, you would have to take your finger off the trigger, feel around and charge the shotgun and then grap the grip again. With a pump, you do not need to remove your hands, just pump it to get rid of the bad shell and you never had to take your finger off the trigger. Just something I wonder about.

 

Depends on the shotgun...I've rarely ever had a problem with an auto. In fact I think I've had one in my life that I can remember. Advantage of bang bang bang with three quick trigger pulls is pretty big compared to racking in another shell after each shot. But it comes down to what your comfortable with. I'd feel good either way.

Am I crazy for liking a shotgun for home defense?

 

Joe Biden thinks that's a great idea! Remember to shoot it into the air though and not at the intruder.

Joe Biden thinks that's a great idea! Remember to shoot it into the air though and not at the intruder.

He's an Idiot!

For home defense I'd get the shortest barrel possible (legal) and short stock. Biggest problem with a shotgun indoors is length of the weapon compared to room to maneuver.

 

Or you could do what I did and get a handgun that shoots shotgun shells...

Or you could do what I did and get a handgun that shoots shotgun shells...

 

Taraus Judge or S&W Governor?

Am I crazy for liking a shotgun for home defense?
Heck no, great choice for home defense!
Taraus Judge or S&W Governor?

 

Taurus Judge. The one that shoots the 3" .410 shells. I keep it loaded with 3 of the Winchester PDX rounds and 2 .45 hollow point.

Joker,

 

Trade for a 20 inch barrel or gun. As a young lad I used a Mossberg 500 riot gun to jump shoot rabbits. Swinging this gun in heavy brush was ooooo so easy.

 

I would load for home defence in the following sequence.

 

1. Double-ought buck shell. This will give you the best chance to hit something since your adrenalin will be thru the roof.

2. Hollow point slug. If you were lucky enough to hit something on your first shot this should eliminate your threat given you hit what you were aiming at.

 

Continue loading the gun in this sequence untill full.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.