Newport Central Catholic 83 Highlands 43

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the norm in NKY, it's sad that the papers have down sized to the point that they barely cover HS sports.

Also noticed the other day that the biggest game of the day -- Holy Cross girls vs. Highlands -- 1 vs. 2 in the latest 9th Region poll -- just got a tiny mention at the end of the girls high school coverage -- as if the game wasn't too meaningful. So in addition to not even covering some games, the Enquirer apparently has no idea which games are important and which games aren't. I guess this could be a result of putting together the pages in out-of-town locations so Gannett can save some money. Sometimes I have no idea why I still subscribe.

Typical we read about who left the program and feel sorry for the Birds. Get a grip don't look now but the Soph class is now 2-0 against the Breds and that is probably 2 of just a handful of losses that group has has at NC in 2 years. I truly believe that the program is fine when it plays with that intensity.

Instead of talking about the 2 players that quit, let's talk about the "Bus Driver" Kyle Finfrock and his breakout game! He came to play last night congrats to that young man. While we are on topic congrats to young Morgan Race and his first 3 varsity points in his first varsity action. Lastly I like kids that play tough in their role. Kyle Rust had a couple of big baskets and minutes in JV as well!

Birds are giving all they have. Just isnt projecting into victories. It was a nice victory for the JV Birds over the JV Breds.(came down to the last shot) I kind of sense that in seeing some of the younger classes, and by younger I mean, 3,4 or 5 years down the road the Birds will be just fine. Just waiting for the cavalry!

Please. Here we go again. This current team can compete with any team in the 9th region not named NCC, Holmes, CovCath, Cooper and Dixie. Why, because they have size that Highlands does not have and kids that only play basketball. Do you know how successful the current seniors and juniors were in middle school and frosh basketball? The current junior class played AAU basketball together up through their frosh year of high school. In fact, they played during the fall while also playing football. That group included Ben Weyer who chose to go to NCC because he was the only kid that just played basketball. If he had stayed at Highlands, would they be better? No need to answer that question. That team also had Ryan McGinness that ended up at CCH because his family could not find a house in Fort Thomas. Would certainly have helped the current team with his athleticism. Coach tried to talk Beau Hoge into coming back to the basketball program, but he declined. Would he have helped, you bet he would have. Instead of talking about years down the road, lets support the kids in the program that have the guts and desire to stick with it through good times and bad rather than getting on here and talking about next year or years to come.

Please. Here we go again. This current team can compete with any team in the 9th region not named NCC, Holmes, CovCath, Cooper and Dixie. Why, because they have size that Highlands does not have and kids that only play basketball. Do you know how successful the current seniors and juniors were in middle school and frosh basketball? The current junior class played AAU basketball together up through their frosh year of high school. In fact, they played during the fall while also playing football. That group included Ben Weyer who chose to go to NCC because he was the only kid that just played basketball. If he had stayed at Highlands, would they be better? No need to answer that question. That team also had Ryan McGinness that ended up at CCH because his family could not find a house in Fort Thomas. Would certainly have helped the current team with his athleticism. Coach tried to talk Beau Hoge into coming back to the basketball program, but he declined. Would he have helped, you bet he would have. Instead of talking about years down the road, lets support the kids in the program that have the guts and desire to stick with it through good times and bad rather than getting on here and talking about next year or years to come.

Yep. If the kid that are down the road are in the football program. Well that just isn't working and hasn't for quite some time.

I have to share a funny moment. At PC our boy sits on a bench seat that collapses after just sitting out for 3 weeks with an ankle sprain. He is starting to feel cursed. He gets face guarded tonight and Neff rarely left him open for any clean looks. I tell him he needs to go back door Neff from NC smiles at me. Close JV game most boys know each other well. Late in the game he gets an accidental finger in his eye by Hall and he can't see in that eye at all, but he doesn't want to come out. A moment later, Neff goes backdoor on his bad eye and smiles. It was funny how it played out. Gave this old man a chuckle.

Really think a shout out has to go to Sophomore Bradley Green. Seemed like that kid could get the basket any time he wanted. Very quick..

Another one that played with emotion and has friends in the other program. A definite favorite polite with an infectious smile. Speed runs in that family says the family of trotters! Bradley played very well indeed.

The lack of posts in this thread tells me two things:

- the complete apathy surrounding the Bluebird basketball program. It's really a shame. Good kids, trying their best to compete and represent their school.

- the gag order surrounding the NCC program. Ever since the infamous "719" post the fan base of the Breds is very quiet. (with the exception of Lawnboy).

I did notice the dearth of posts by the usual NCC folks.

Hats off to the boys that stick it out daily despite the lack of success. Not easy to do . Easier to just quit.

I'm a fan of the boys that bust their hump daily.

Keep working, boys.

Totally agree with this statement!

Hard work pays off!!