January 22, 201511 yr An honest question from a non-catholic: What is the basis of not using contraception? Is it regarded as a sin? I understand the Biblical opposition to some contraception types, like the morning after pill, etc. that allow the egg to be fertilized and then cause the body to reject it or something similar. My question is about the types of contraception, like condoms, that simply prevent fertilization. Why are they taboo and the rhythm method is OK?
January 22, 201511 yr An honest question from a non-catholic: What is the basis of not using contraception? Is it regarded as a sin? I understand the Biblical opposition to some contraception types, like the morning after pill, etc. that allow the egg to be fertilized and then cause the body to reject it or something similar. My question is about the types of contraception, like condoms, that simply prevent fertilization. Why are they taboo and the rhythm method is OK? I believe, and someone else probably knows better than I, they view anything that is not natural that interferes with the creation of life to be a sin.
January 22, 201511 yr Only took the Vatican 360 years to admit that Galileo was right. So I guess we've still got three centuries to go before some pope sees the light on the need to limit the world's population.
January 22, 201511 yr I think even if only 5 million people lived in Sao Paolo they would be living in squalor. I would say those living conditions are more due to lack of opportunity overall than too many people. In many of the poorest areas on Earth, the population density is much less than metropolises like NYC, London, Tokyo, Paris, etc.. The lack of opportunity is because of the over population of the area. Sao Paulo is a typical large city of the world. There is work and industry and culture but there just too many people. The result is that so many are forced to live in fringes of society and lands in shacks. Like kudzu here, they are unseen and un noticed unless you fly in by the airport or your train drives by it.
January 22, 201511 yr I wonder what percentage of Catholic women use artificial means of birth control. I bet the number is very high. I was raised Catholic, but I always found this particular rule to be ridiculous. I have many Catholic friends and I only know 1 that actually practices it. I also know Catholics whose teenage daughters suffered "miscarriages." I understand back in the time of Christ, people didn't live long and it was important to populate an keep Catholicism alive, but times have changed. You can certainly tell no woman had any input in writing the Bible.
January 22, 201511 yr I understand the Biblical opposition to some contraception types, like the morning after pill, etc. that allow the egg to be fertilized and then cause the body to reject it or something similar. My question is about the types of contraception, like condoms, that simply prevent fertilization. Why are they taboo and the rhythm method is OK? I think you have the morning after pill confused with RU486 which is an abortion pill. It's a very common mistake. The sperm takes time to reach the egg, the morning after pill basically puts a shield around the egg so it cannot be fertilized.
January 22, 201511 yr As a fellow Catholic you know the method pull and pray. Most don't know this, but read Genesis, about Judah's son and "withdrawal".
January 22, 201511 yr An honest question from a non-catholic: What is the basis of not using contraception? Is it regarded as a sin? In short, it has to do with a covenant with God.
January 22, 201511 yr I think you have the morning after pill confused with RU486 which is an abortion pill. It's a very common mistake. The sperm takes time to reach the egg, the morning after pill basically puts a shield around the egg so it cannot be fertilized.No I am talking about the morning after pill or as it is commonly referred to, Plan B. What you describe is only one of the ways the morning after pill works. You can take it up to 72 hours after sex, and one of the ways it works is to prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterine walls. plan B ? How it works This is also one of the functions of regular (hormonal) birth control pills. If an egg does get fertilized, then it works to prevent that egg from attaching.
January 22, 201511 yr In short, it has to do with a covenant with God.I appreciate the answer, I do, but that is so vague that it does nothing to help me understand.
January 22, 201511 yr I appreciate the answer, I do, but that is so vague that it does nothing to help me understand. You can't "be fruitful and multiply" if you are using birth control.
January 22, 201511 yr No I am talking about the morning after pill or as it is commonly referred to, Plan B. What you describe is only one of the ways the morning after pill works. You can take it up to 72 hours after sex, and one of the ways it works is to prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterine walls. plan B ? How it works This is also one of the functions of regular (hormonal) birth control pills. If an egg does get fertilized, then it works to prevent that egg from attaching. I'm guessing the sooner you take it you will prevent the egg from being fertilized. I always heard what the site said, within 15 hours (they said 12). I'll try and find the book I have that deals with the covenants of God, I can't remember 100% what is says, which is why I was vague.
January 22, 201511 yr I'll try and find the book I have that deals with the covenants of God, I can't remember 100% what is says, which is why I was vague.Thanks, I am looking forward to reading it. :thumb:
January 22, 201511 yr Only took the Vatican 360 years to admit that Galileo was right. So I guess we've still got three centuries to go before some pope sees the light on the need to limit the world's population. Thank God you've already ponied up for your ticket on the first group headed to Mars.
January 22, 201511 yr You can't "be fruitful and multiply" if you are using birth control. Large Catholic families probably made sense when the world was mostly rural and farms required lots of labor ... when diseases went unchecked ... when incompetent warrior popes were fighting wars of aggression on the Italian peninsula ... on and on. Alas, the world has changed, with more than 4 of 5 Catholics saying birth control is not morally objectionable, with more than 9 in 10 Catholics actually practicing birth control ... on and on. The church's continued opposition to birth control would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.