January 22, 201511 yr An honest question from a non-catholic: What is the basis of not using contraception? Is it regarded as a sin? I understand the Biblical opposition to some contraception types, like the morning after pill, etc. that allow the egg to be fertilized and then cause the body to reject it or something similar. My question is about the types of contraception, like condoms, that simply prevent fertilization. Why are they taboo and the rhythm method is OK? It is implying that we have control over creation of new life. Every act of intercourse should be open to life. From USCCB: When married couples deliberately act to suppress fertility, however, sexual intercourse is no longer fully marital intercourse. It is something less powerful and intimate, something more “casual.” Suppressing fertility by using contraception denies part of the inherent meaning of married sexuality and does harm to the couple’s unity. The total giving of oneself, body and soul, to one’s beloved is no time to say: “I give you everything I am—except. . . .” The Church’s teaching is not only about observing a rule, but about preserving that total, mutual gift of two persons in its integrity. I understand this will cause a lot of disagreement. I am just sharing what the Church teaches.
January 22, 201511 yr An honest question from a non-catholic: What is the basis of not using contraception? I have heard several reasons but the most common I hear are: - When using natural methods, we are using methods God intended. When artificial, we a "playing God". - As Pope Paul VI predicted in Humanae Vitae, easy contraception like the pill would lead to serious consequences to marital infidelity, sexual morality, and near total abandonment of Christian sexual morality in society as a whole. This was touched on by Southern Baptist Seminary President and Southern Baptist theologian Dr. Al Mohler in a speech I heard him give when he was discussing how his views on contraception were evolving and he was beginning to understand the Catholic Church's view more and more. The fact that Al Mohler agrees with anything the Catholic Church does is earth shaking, LOL.
January 22, 201511 yr I claim to be Catholic, but I confess to abhoring the Catholic stance on birth control. At this time in the development of the world, we need to better control our population. IMO birth control is an easy effective way to do that (as opposed to genocide, plague, starvation, war), and it is an archaic and ridiculous theology that opposes this...IMO (again). OMG....did I just agree with TTP?
January 22, 201511 yr I claim to be Catholic, but I confess to abhoring the Catholic stance on birth control. At this time in the development of the world, we need to better control our population. IMO birth control is an easy effective way to do that (as opposed to genocide, plague, starvation, war), and it is an archaic and ridiculous theology that opposes this...IMO (again). OMG....did I just agree with TTP? I've never been convinced of the overpopulation issue. Malthus was wrong. Genocide, war, etc. These are not issues of overpopulation but of people doing terrible things because they feel like they can. As for starvation and famine... we've seen these issues overcome time and time again. No one ever thought India would be able to feed its own surging population... but, thanks to hard work and some ingenious thinking, along came dwarf wheat with its higher yields and the consequences have been nothing short of remarkable.
January 22, 201511 yr I've never been convinced of the overpopulation issue. Malthus was wrong. Genocide, war, etc. These are not issues of overpopulation but of people doing terrible things because they feel like they can. As for starvation and famine... we've seen these issues overcome time and time again. No one ever thought India would be able to feed its own surging population... but, thanks to hard work and some ingenious thinking, along came dwarf wheat with its higher yields and the consequences have been nothing short of remarkable. Eating is one thing...quality of life is quite another. Technology no doubt has extended our ability to feed ourselves, extended life expectancies, increased birth-rates, etc. all of which contribute to our burgeoning population. Shanghai is a marvel in its own right, with its technology, its size and its density. But it is not the quality of life or beauty I would want out of this planet. We have replaced God and what he/she created with ourselves, and we are replacing what was given to us with something in our own image which is technology. The growing population increases the need to apply the technology, and what we had, and what we have will be lost and will be replaced with technology. I hope I am gone before I see it and the last Tiger or Lion or Elephant is gone or the rainforests are completely depleted. Genocide is a result of the devaluation of humanity. It is devalued because it is believed that a certain group does not bring worth. This thought is magnified by overpopulation without thought of resources and support.
January 22, 201511 yr Global population is growing by 80 million people a year ... about a quarter of a billion people every three years. Someone let me know how long this is sustainable given planet earth's limited resources. Certainly there are historical examples of warfare as a result of a group of people becoming too numerous and using up available natural resources: Japanese aggression in the 1930s and '40s immediately comes to mind. Perhaps even the migration of the Sea Peoples (Philistines) around 1000 B.C.
January 22, 201511 yr Global population is growing by 80 million people a year ... about a quarter of a billion people every three years. Someone let me know how long this is sustainable given planet earth's limited resources. Certainly there are historical examples of warfare as a result of a group of people becoming too numerous and using up available natural resources: Japanese aggression in the 1930s and '40s immediately comes to mind. Perhaps even the migration of the Sea Peoples (Philistines) around 1000 B.C. I agree it's not sustainable, but aren't some of the most populous generations starting to get a little on the older side? For lack of a better term, once they die out, won't that help reduce population pretty substantially?
January 22, 201511 yr I've never been convinced of the overpopulation issue. Malthus was wrong. Genocide, war, etc. These are not issues of overpopulation but of people doing terrible things because they feel like they can. As for starvation and famine... we've seen these issues overcome time and time again. No one ever thought India would be able to feed its own surging population... but, thanks to hard work and some ingenious thinking, along came dwarf wheat with its higher yields and the consequences have been nothing short of remarkable. Over 3,000 children in India die each day from illnesses due to poor diet.
January 22, 201511 yr "1. Hunger remains the No.1 cause of death in the world. Aids, Cancer etc. follow. 2. There are 820 million chronically hungry people in the world. 3. 1/3rd of the worldÂ’s hungry live in India. 6. 10 million people die every year of chronic hunger and hunger-related diseases." 9. Over 7000 Indians die of hunger every day." Hunger Facts | The Hunger Site for Facts: Bhookh.com Edited January 22, 201511 yr by SportsGuy41017
January 22, 201511 yr I agree it's not sustainable, but aren't some of the most populous generations starting to get a little on the older side? For lack of a better term, once they die out, won't that help reduce population pretty substantially? The rate of world population growth hit its peak (2.2 percent) in 1963. Today it's around 1.14 percent. Still growing, but at a lesser rate -- like the national debt. Keep in mind that 60 percent of the earth's population lives in Asia. Only 5 percent lives in North America. Hence, this crisis will play out first in Asia, where even a relatively small country (in terms of area) like Bangladesh has a greater population than Russia. To a certain extent, the Catholic Church can probably "get away" with its population policy given the fact that it doesn't have as many members in Asia compared to Europe and the Western Hemisphere.
January 22, 201511 yr "1. Hunger remains the No.1 cause of death in the world. Aids, Cancer etc. follow. 2. There are 820 million chronically hungry people in the world. 3. 1/3rd of the worldÂ’s hungry live in India. 6. 10 million people die every year of chronic hunger and hunger-related diseases." 9. Over 7000 Indians die of hunger every day." Hunger Facts | The Hunger Site for Facts: Bhookh.com And lack of food on a global basis is not the issue...it is distribution. And many of the distribution barriers are political not technical or financial.
January 22, 201511 yr So contraception is bad but try not to have too many babies. Got it. Weligion is so silly you wascally wabbits! This is just one of a plethora of examples why.
January 22, 201511 yr It's an uphill battle. The pope is advocating for the least popular thing in the modern world: self-control. It's been pretty unpopular for a long time, I suppose. Not an easy thing at all.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.