January 27, 201511 yr I'd add that snake handlers represent about 0.0000001 % of all Christians , or less . And I've never even heard of talking snakes , unless you include TV evangelists . You are getting way off an a far away tangent with this discussion.
January 27, 201511 yr It is a classic argument for the co-existence of science with Christianity. I read it in college. Good book, but Manitoudan is on the right track, it was not the easiest reading in the world.
January 27, 201511 yr I take up most serpents I see. They have been decapitated if I can help it at all. Then I take them up. In pieces.
January 27, 201511 yr Author I'd add that snake handlers represent about 0.0000001 % of all Christians , or less . And I've never even heard of talking snakes , unless you include TV evangelists . You are getting way off an a far away tangent with this discussion. Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’” But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” Talking snakes... Did Adam and Eve not find it a bit strange that a snake was talking to them? I know, i know , some will say the snake is a metaphor for Satan. But many Christians are literalists. Hence, they must believe snakes can talk. Such hilarity...
January 27, 201511 yr It would be very interesting to see how many take the talking snake literally. There's some real whack jobs out there so I imagine they exist. Not sure what that topic has to do with what God is to the people on this site though.
January 27, 201511 yr Author It would be very interesting to see how many take the talking snake literally. There's some real whack jobs out there so I imagine they exist. Not sure what that topic has to do with what God is to the people on this site though. I have attended churches with MANY, MANY literalists. There may even be a few on here. They claim, "if the Bible says it, we believe it." If folks believe that believers will disappear(POOF!) into thin air (i.e, The Rapture), it is not a stretch for them to believe that snakes can speak to humans. I'll stick with science. Neither happens.
January 27, 201511 yr Author Even after reading all of this I am still confused as to whether your God is a man, a spirit form, a collective consciousness, an abstract concept like Love, or a nebulous cloud of dust and hot gas with a temper. Keep 'em coming. I seek to learn. Who or what are you praying and worshipping to? The founder of this site tried in vain awhile back to get responses to a similar question and got only vague and ambiguous responses and lots of Bible verses. The concept of God and why people believe what they do is nonetheless very interesting, not only to believers ,but to agnostics and atheists as well.
January 27, 201511 yr I have attended churches with MANY, MANY literalists. There may even be a few on here. They claim, "if the Bible says it, we believe it." If folks believe that believers will disappear(POOF!) into thin air (i.e, The Rapture), it is not a stretch for them to believe that snakes can speak to humans. I'll stick with science. Neither happens. I'll take your word for it, I've never met a single one that I remember although my guess is there were some around when I was in college. I supposed it has to do with the particular religion or area. That why it would be interesting to have a number but my guess is that there's no real way to figure it out.
January 27, 201511 yr "He who has ears let him hear " that biblical truth is this entire thread in a nutshell.
January 27, 201511 yr Even after reading all of this I am still confused as to whether your God is a man, a spirit form, a collective consciousness, an abstract concept like Love, or a nebulous cloud of dust and hot gas with a temper. Keep 'em coming. I seek to learn. Who or what are you praying and worshipping to? The founder of this site tried in vain awhile back to get responses to a similar question and got only vague and ambiguous responses and lots of Bible verses. The concept of God and why people believe what they do is nonetheless very interesting, not only to believers ,but to agnostics and atheists as well. You should PM him and get his take. He'd like that. Great guy.
January 27, 201511 yr Author You should PM him and get his take. He'd like that. Great guy. Yes, he seems like an extremely interesing man for sure. I appreciate anyone who likes to ponder the mysteries of the Universe while also enjoying a good pro wrestling match. I share those interests for sure, although the wrestling used to be much better than it is now.
January 28, 201511 yr If by snake talking we are referring to the serpent in the Garden of Eden, I think we should note that becoming a serpent was the punishment for the deception. Satan probably was in the form of a dragon or an angel when the actual Fall of Man took place. It is written in retrospective and one of the punishments was being on his belly, indicating that prior to this, he was not. This may not have added anything at all to this discussion.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.