January 20, 201511 yr Your notion of God... what is it? Does the God you worship have a physical form? Does HE/She have a gender? Is Jesus the physical manifestation of God the Father? Or is Jesus the same as God the Father? When you bow to pray, what is it you are praying to? Jesus? A spirit form? A blob of collective consciousness on some higher plane? Some say God is Love. Is God a Being or something more abstract? Also, if you are a believer in God , for what reason do you think your God created all that is? I'm sure this idea has been talked about on here many times but I haven't read it. Thanks.
January 21, 201511 yr Since I view God in a Trinitarian view (which I think 95% of Christians do) I guess I need three answers. God the Father - When he does present himself, I don't believe it was ever in a bodily form or even physical form. I don't recall scripture specifying and I don't believe the Apostles and other early church fathers saying one way or the other so I guess I assume spiritual form only but not 100% on this. He is generally referred to in a masculine context so I feel safe calling the Father, He. God the Son - The incarnate Word. Human body form and at the Pentecost, returned to heaven still in human body form. Don't recall anything that states He "shed" His human form after the Pentecost. Gender is obviously male. God the Holy Spirit - As far as I know Spirit in the beginning, now and forever after unless I missed something. Gender neutral. When I pray, I sometimes pray to all collectively or I may single one out. Kinda depends on what I am praying about. Also being Catholic, I will sometimes ask those who went before me to include me in their prayers, for Catholics often times Mary receives such intentions. I know the Protestants will feel this is odd and possibly even idolatry but I do not. I don't worship Mary or anyone else for that matter, I am simply asking that they keep me in their prayers similar to when someone here asks for prayers for themselves or a loved one. This is called the Communion of Saints in Catholicism. Basically that those in heaven don't simply forget about those of us still on earth, they still have our well being at heart. Mary is the epitome of this due to the special relationship she has with God the Son. Why God created us? Not sure. I always assumed this was one of those areas that is above us similar to how some things parents do for kids is above them and the figure it out as they get older. For us, we figure it out in the next world. My assumption is the Catholics will share this view and the protestants will be somewhat similar but with some obvious differences. If there are any of the Eastern Orthodox Faith, their view will be almost identical also due to Catholic and Orthodox theology being so similar. It is governance where Catholic and Orthodox division exists primarily.
January 21, 201511 yr God to me is a Triune God - There is but one living and true God, everlasting, without body or parts, of infinite power, wisdom, and goodness; the maker and preserver of all things, both visible and invisible. And in unity of this Godhead there are three persons, of one substance, power, and eternity -- the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. God the Father - The one true, holy and living God, Eternal Spirit, who is Creator, Sovereign and Preserver of all things visible and invisible. He is infinite in power, wisdom, justice, goodness and love, and rules with gracious regard for the well-being and salvation of men, to the glory of his name. God reveals himself as the Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, distinct but inseparable, eternally one in essence and power. God the Son - Jesus Christ, truly God and truly man, in whom the divine and human natures are perfectly and inseparably united. He is the eternal Word made flesh, the only begotten Son of the Father, born of the Virgin Mary by the power of the Holy Spirit. As ministering Servant he lived, suffered and died on the cross. He was buried, rose from the dead and ascended into heaven to be with the Father, from whence he shall return. He is eternal Savior and Mediator, who intercedes for us, and by him all men will be judged. God the Holy Spirit - Holy Spirit who proceeds from and is one in being with the Father and the Son. He convinces the world of sin, of righteousness and of judgment. He leads men through faithful response to the gospel into the fellowship of the Church. He comforts, sustains and empowers the faithful and guides them into all truth. I pray to God in the name of Jesus Christ. Why God made us...don't know but I think about this scripture -"We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do" (Ephesians 2:10).
January 21, 201511 yr God to me is a Triune God - There is but one living and true God, everlasting, without body or parts, of infinite power, wisdom, and goodness; the maker and preserver of all things, both visible and invisible. And in unity of this Godhead there are three persons, of one substance, power, and eternity -- the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. God the Father - The one true, holy and living God, Eternal Spirit, who is Creator, Sovereign and Preserver of all things visible and invisible. He is infinite in power, wisdom, justice, goodness and love, and rules with gracious regard for the well-being and salvation of men, to the glory of his name. God reveals himself as the Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, distinct but inseparable, eternally one in essence and power. God the Son - Jesus Christ, truly God and truly man, in whom the divine and human natures are perfectly and inseparably united. He is the eternal Word made flesh, the only begotten Son of the Father, born of the Virgin Mary by the power of the Holy Spirit. As ministering Servant he lived, suffered and died on the cross. He was buried, rose from the dead and ascended into heaven to be with the Father, from whence he shall return. He is eternal Savior and Mediator, who intercedes for us, and by him all men will be judged. God the Holy Spirit - Holy Spirit who proceeds from and is one in being with the Father and the Son. He convinces the world of sin, of righteousness and of judgment. He leads men through faithful response to the gospel into the fellowship of the Church. He comforts, sustains and empowers the faithful and guides them into all truth. I pray to God in the name of Jesus Christ. Why God made us...don't know but I think about this scripture -"We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do" (Ephesians 2:10). We seem to be pretty similar. What you state sounds quite a bit like the Nicene Creed recited at Catholic Masses. Do you mind me asking which sect of Christianity your identify with?
January 21, 201511 yr We seem to be pretty similar. What you state sounds quite a bit like the Nicene Creed recited at Catholic Masses. Do you mind me asking which sect of Christianity your identify with? Yes, as I read your post I thought the same thing 'pretty similar'. I don't mind you asking at all-I am Methodist.
January 21, 201511 yr Yes, as I read your post I thought the same thing 'pretty similar'. I don't mind you asking at all-I am Methodist. That makes sense. If I am thinking correctly, Methodism is somewhat similar to Anglicanism/Episcapol which is similar to Catholicism. My guess is the biggest difference between Methodism and Catholicism is more governance than doctrine ie we don't recognize the authority of each others' bishops.
January 21, 201511 yr I would be interested in what some of the BGP Clergy say. We have lost contact (as far as I know) with Golf Rev and Chaplain but we have a few more.
January 21, 201511 yr Author Love (drops mic) So God is not a being but a feeling? Why build churches, temples, and mosques to worship Love? Religion is confusing.
January 21, 201511 yr So God is not a being but a feeling? Why build churches, temples, and mosques to worship Love? Religion is confusing. Learn about the 4 types of Love. Pay particular attention to what is known as "Agape Love" in order to answer your question. Different Types of Love Found in the Bible | Better Than I Deserve
January 21, 201511 yr g So God is not a being but a feeling? Why build churches, temples, and mosques to worship Love? Religion is confusing. IMO Love is not the only way to define God, but it is the simplest and most true. God is Mercy, God is infinite, God is eternal, God is happiness, God is Truth.
January 22, 201511 yr WOW! I could type all week about this and still not hit on most things God is to me. But, in short, and simplest way to explain, Pete hit the core, LOVE! 1: John 4:16 We have come to know and to believe in the love God has for us. God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God, and God in him. I believe in the Holy Trinity. I assume that His is God the Father so I am thinking male. When I pray I mention all Three, as well as intercessions from others, such as the Virgin Mary, and others. I pretty much hit all of them asking to intercede. I also ask for prayer from the Holy Souls, as they can only pray for others, and since they can't pray for themselves, they are included in my prayers daily. As far as the last question, that gets my OCD going like nothing else, but we won't know until we pass.
January 22, 201511 yr I have a sermon I did last year trying to explain the Trinity if anyone would like me to send them the link. I felt I was pretty succesful in talking for 25 minutes about a concept that no one understands.
January 22, 201511 yr I have a sermon I did last year trying to explain the Trinity if anyone would like me to send them the link. I felt I was pretty succesful in talking for 25 minutes about a concept that no one understands. Sure, sounds interesting, send it please.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.