2015 10th Region All-A Tournament Preview

The newest home gymnasium in the 10th Region, Robertson County High School, serves as the site for this year's Class "A" Tournament. This annual January get-together has long been dominated by Bishop Brossart, winners of the last 5 tournaments and 11 of the last 12. Mike Code's Mustangs do not seem to be as invincible as they've been in previous years, but the team possesses the firepower to claim the hardware again. Paris and second-year head coach Terence Brooks enter as the tournament's highest-rated team, having garnered impressive wins this year against Lexington Christian and Montgomery County. Jason Hinson's Augusta squad owns the most wins of any participant, and the Panthers are familiar with winning tournaments, being the two-time defending 39th District champs. There's much more parity than in previous years, but we look for one of those 3 clubs to be cutting down the nets on January 17th.

Note: The Girls 10th Region Class A is being held at the same venue & brackets are the same for it. On each date you see below, there are girls games preceding boys games.

The Pairings

Friday January 9, 2015 (Play-In Game)

Nicholas County vs. Bishop Brossart - 8:00 pm

Saturday January 10, 2015 (Quarterfinals)

Calvary Christian vs. Robertson County - 12:00 pm (Upper-Bracket)

Bracken County vs. Paris - 4:00 pm (Lower-Bracket)

St. Patrick vs. Augusta - 8:00 pm (Lower-Bracket)

Monday January 12, 2015 (Quarterfinals)

Silver Grove vs. Nicholas County/Bishop Brossart winner - 8:00 pm (Upper-Bracket)

Wednesday January 14, 2015 (Semi-Finals)

Upper-Bracket Semi-Finals - 8:00 pm

Thursday January 15, 2015 (Semi-Finals)

Lower-Bracket Semi-Finals - 8:00 pm

Saturday January 17, 2015 (Championship)

Championship Game - 8:00 pm

The Top 10 Players

1. Austin Crawford - 6'3" Soph. (Bracken County): Splendid scorer and athlete is one of the 10th's finest guards.

2. Koebe Garrard - 6'3" Jr. (Paris): Physically imposing forward is a workhorse for the Hounds.

3. Camryn Snapp - 6'3" Jr. (Augusta): Extremely versatile forward wears a lot of hats for A-Town.

4. Andrew Sticklen - 6'5" Sr. (St. Patrick): Saints' go-to-guy leads the 10th in rebounding.

5. Jekobi Wells - 6'2" Soph. (Paris): Young swingman has a very high ceiling.

6. Connor Maddox - 5'11" Jr. (Augusta): Panthers' leading scorer is more than just a shooter this year.

7. Jonathan Zink - 6'1" Sr. (Bishop Brossart): Mustangs forward has been consistently productive all season.

8. Dawson Cooper - 6'2" Sr. (Robertson County): Black Devils' leader had a solid tournament in 2013-14.

9. Spencer Hackworth - 6'1" Sr. (Bishop Brossart): Brossart's leading scorer is deadly from the perimeter.

10. Devin Trussell - 6'0 Sr. (Nicholas County): Didn't play last year, but has made up for lost time this year.

Upset Alerts

While Bishop Brossart drew the short straw in getting the Play-In game, the Stangs seem destined to be playing in the title game. Nicholas County is Brossart's play-In game opponent. Roger Newton's roster is deep, but Nicholas comes into the tournament having lost its last 2 games. Unseating the 5-time defending champs on Friday night could require a Herculean effort on the part of the Bluejackets. Beyond the Play-In game, it's hard to imagine a scenario where Silver Grove, Calvary Christian, or Robertson County stops Code and company.

The lower bracket appears to be the more intriguing half. Paris will meet Bracken County in a rematch of last year's quarterfinals, won by the Greyhounds, and this contest will feature the tournament's top two individual players. An upset is not out of the question, but Terence Brooks' bunch should advance. The Greyhounds' chances could very well hinge on the status of Jakobi Wells, who missed Tuesday's matchup with George Rogers Clark. Augusta will be favored in its quarterfinal matchup with St. Patrick. The Panthers have beaten the Saints twice already this year: by 2 points in Maysville on December 5th and by 19 points in Augusta nearly a month later.

In short, the biggest upset would be a semifinal round without the Mustangs, Greyhounds, and Panthers.

Our Predictions

January 9th

Bishop Brossart defeats Nicholas County

January 10th

Robertson County defeats Calvary Christian

Paris defeats Bracken County

Augusta defeats St. Patrick

January 12th

Bishop Brossart defeats Silver Grove

January 14th

Bishop Brossart defeats Robertson County

January 15th

Paris defeats Augusta

January 17th

Paris defeats Bishop Brossart

Edited by Randy Parker

Great job mcpapa and little slug layer!! I'm not sure but I think the Augusta vs Paris pre all a tournament game has been cancelled. I'm picking August to cut the nets....unless my Polar Bears pull off the upset over Paris then all bets are off for me. Bracken is a team that if it gets rolling it can feel off three or four straight good games. :thumb:

First year in a looooooooooooong time Brossart wasn't preordained to win this thing. Based upon what I've seen so far it's which team can be consistent enough to string together 2-4 consistent quality games. Anything can happen....I hope the Panthers show up and play and I feel comfortable if they do they'll take home the hardware...........

Glad to see Brossart with a favorable draw this year. Last year when they were loaded they had the tough draw having to play the Bach led Panthers followed by Paris and Robertson County in the finals. Well they answered that task by doubling up the score on all 3 opponents. This year they got a break and the other top teams all ended up in the other bracket. Code will have them focused for all of the games, they are playing well and it may not be an easy road to Frankfort, but I think the Stangs have a good shot at it.

Great write up by the Ebay man and the slug!

First year in a looooooooooooong time Brossart wasn't preordained to win this thing. Based upon what I've seen so far it's which team can be consistent enough to string together 2-4 consistent quality games. Anything can happen....I hope the Panthers show up and play and I feel comfortable if they do they'll take home the hardware...........

Hold the phone there Pappy! In 2011 the Deming Black Devils were the prohibitive favorites to cut down the nets in the King twins' senior season. The Mustangs, who came in at 7-5, had to survive Augusta in the opening round 38-36. The Panthers had the ball in the air that could have eliminated them. The Mustangs and Black Devils met in the finals at Regents Hall and it took overtime to decide the winner - Brossart in an upset 59-56.

The Black Devils had their championship T-Shirts in tow, as did we, just in case. This game was the coming out party for Brossart Junior Joe Jennings, who went on to play college ball at Transylvania. Justin Saunders (1297 Career Points) was a sophomore.

While I was thrilled for our underdog Mustangs that day, I was heartsick for Coach Jamey Johnson and the King twins who wanted it so badly. It was their last swing of the bat and they knew that it might be forever until they were in that position again. They also had a chance to win it in 2009 when they (Deming) upset the Mustangs in the semi-finals but then were upset themselves by a pretty good Calvary Christian team in the championship game that year at the old Nicholas County High School gym.

Hold the phone there Pappy! In 2011 the Deming Black Devils were the prohibitive favorites to cut down the nets in the King twins' senior season. The Mustangs, who came in at 7-5, had to survive Augusta in the opening round 38-36. The Panthers had the ball in the air that could have eliminated them. The Mustangs and Black Devils met in the finals at Regents Hall and it took overtime to decide the winner - Brossart in an upset 59-56.

The Black Devils had their championship T-Shirts in tow, as did we, just in case. This game was the coming out party for Brossart Junior Joe Jennings, who went on to play college ball at Transylvania. Justin Saunders (1297 Career Points) was a sophomore.

While I was thrilled for our underdog Mustangs that day, I was heartsick for Coach Jamey Johnson and the King twins who wanted it so badly. It was their last swing of the bat and they knew that it might be forever until they were in that position again. They also had a chance to win it in 2009 when they (Deming) upset the Mustangs in the semi-finals but then were upset themselves by a pretty good Calvary Christian team in the championship game that year at the old Nicholas County High School gym.

How quickly I forget.......just getting old Mustang.....thanks for the reminder. When I think 10th Region All A unfortunately, I automatically think Brossart.................

How quickly I forget.......just getting old Mustang.....thanks for the reminder. When I think 10th Region All A unfortunately, I automatically think Brossart.................

Being somewhat selfish, we'd like you to keep thinking that way for a loooooonnnnngggg time. :)

Am also looking foward to meeting Mustang and TAC for the first!! :thumb:

You will have to wait another day to meet me! I'm working the gym for the grade school tourney for the team I coach. Not happy that I have had to miss a lot of Brossart games this year. Random bad timing. Especially tonight. I have a little farm in the area. Would have been a great night to take in a couple of games, than back to the farm to warm up with a little fire.

I seem to remember a charge call in that game very well.