This Is Why You Pass On High School Kids With Felonies

Clyde

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're just not worth the embarrassment they will undoubtedly bring to your university.

Former Louisville Linebacker Arrested & Charged With Seven Robberies | The Cardinal Connect

I know former athletes will always be labeled "Former UL player" or "Former UK player", regardless of how many years have passed since they left the program. I get that, but it is hardly fair for any of us to cast aspersions on U of L for this guy who hasn't been there in roughly 8 years. Yes, they took a chance on a guy with a record, but it worked out for everyone involved at the time. He kept his nose clean while there, and long afterwards, even with a short stint in the NFL.

So did U of L make a mistake? Did Harris have any legal issues while on campus? My opinion might change if so.

I know former athletes will always be labeled "Former UL player" or "Former UK player", regardless of how many years have passed since they left the program. I get that, but it is hardly fair for any of us to cast aspersions on U of L for this guy who hasn't been there in roughly 8 years. Yes, they took a chance on a guy with a record, but it worked out for everyone involved at the time. He kept his nose clean while there, and long afterwards, even with a short stint in the NFL.

So did U of L make a mistake? Did Harris have any legal issues while on campus? My opinion might change if so.

I didn't label the thread as "Former UL" because it's irrelevant. These guys just aren't worth the embarrassment to the program - even 8 years down the road. They'll always have "former...." in front of their name.

UL gave him a chance and he didn't committ any crime during that time. This is 3 years removed from the university. I think not giving kids another chance is foolish.

What about the kids that don't have felony charges then does afterwards? UK basketball has a ton of former guys Who I thought would have been successful - so to say one type of person doesn't deserve a chance I think is silly.

UL gave him a chance and he didn't committ any crime during that time. This is 3 years removed from the university. I think not giving kids another chance is foolish. What about the kids that don't have felony charges then does afterwards? UK basketball has a ton of former guys Who I thought would have been successful - so to say one type of person doesn't deserve a chance I think is silly.

Not worth the risk. Hurts the program.

I didn't label the thread as "Former UL" because it's irrelevant. These guys just aren't worth the embarrassment to the program - even 8 years down the road. They'll always have "former...." in front of their name.

I know you didn't but that was the headline. My point is that U of L was blameless but they are guilty by association. Which I guess goes along with your basic premise too.

8 years removed it should be about the man not where he went to college.

Anytime an athlete screws up, it is always magnified in the headlines. Thats part of of the economic society we live in. Create a demand then you supply. $$$$$$$ On the other hand, lots of these young guys who go pro have no money after a short period of time. Many have lost everything one way or another i.e. Bernie Kosar, Curt Schilling, J.R. Richards, Antoine Walker. Its not uncommon. It is sad, but it is what it is...... You can always find examples going the other way. Randy Moss comes to mind. What if Marshall does not give him a 3rd shot. Probably saved that dude as well as a bunch of kids in Rand W.Va. Who knows?

A leopard doesn't change it's spots. Arrests before and after being at UL. I'd venture to say he was not caught doing something. Once a thief, always a thief.

Sorry you guys feel this way. As someone who works for the court system - I have seen both success and failures. I know many convicted felons that are leading a very productive life.

Not worth the risk. Hurts the program.

I disagree. He was fine while he was at Louisville. It seems to me that the real problem was that after he left the team, he never found anything that gave him the same sense of structure or purpose that stopped him from screwing up while he was in college. While his actions are contemptible, the fact that he had a real opportunity and lost it is just a pity.

Life would be pretty miserable indeed if I didn't believe that an individual could be redeemed...