Police officer shot, killed overnight in Tarpon Springs; suspect in custody

halfback20

A Tarpon Springs police officer was shot and killed overnight, and a suspect has been taken into custody, authorities said.

The shooting happened at 3 a.m. at or near 199 Grand Boulevard, a few blocks from the city's Sponge Docks. The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office and Tarpon Springs Police Department are investigating.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/12/21/tarpon_springs_polic.html

It's a sad sad world. What people take for granted is exactly how exposed our police officers are every minute of their shift.

If you call for the police to come 20 miles out into the middle of no where because you claim someone broke your window, they will come out to make a report and see what happened. Meanwhile anyone wishing to do them ill has a thousand opportunities to do so.

Jason Ellis here in Kentucky was murdered and all that was needed was a limb to get him to stop and get out of his car.

NYPD Officers were sitting in their car on a NY street and were gunned down by someone that just walked up to them and started shooting.

Officers a week or so ago were lured to a burning house and shot when they arrived to provide assistance.

Officer in this thread seems to have been lured into an ambush.

And people wonder why when someone won't show their hands, pull out a toy gun or resist arrest and fight why police officers fear for their lives and take action to bring the situation into control.

Call in Cleveland where the boy was shot and killed could just have easily have been someone wanting to kill the police. Police Officers don't know what someone is thinking or what kind of person they are, they can only react to what they see.

When MOST people think of the police they are thinking about what they see on TV in NY or LA where there are dozens or hundreds of officers available for quick backup. In reality most policing is done by officers with little if any backup within 5 minutes away, that is a life time when your in a fight, shootout or in need of medical attention.

No way that is true. No way.

I worded that poorly. The first part is true. I know that there are people that do care.

I should have said, "It seems like very few people care anymore". The negative far outweighs the positive in the news. That was my point.

Hmmmm, an African American shooting a whote police officer, yet I would be willing to bet this won't spark nationwide protests about the racial shooting. I mean it has to be racial right? It has to be seeing how every single black man getting shot by white police officer is racially motivated.

I take it Holder is enroute to Florida to bring civil rights violations against the African American shooter, right?