Who will be Mr. Football this year?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fant won it last year and Alex Venneman is putting up the same kind of numbers.

I say this with complete respect but I am willing to be 95% of the State and the the majority of the media outside of maybe NKY even knows who he is.

Fant was known. UK had flirted with offering him and he was on his way to WKU. His name was always on the top prospect lists and he was mentioned on Kentucky Sports Radio.

Venneman may very well be the best football player in the State, but name recognition and buzz is a HUGE part of Mr. Football whether fair or not.

I say this with complete respect but I am willing to be 95% of the State and the the majority of the media outside of maybe NKY even knows who he is.

Fant was known. UK had flirted with offering him and he was on his way to WKU. His name was always on the top prospect lists and he was mentioned on Kentucky Sports Radio.

Venneman may very well be the best football player in the State, but name recognition and buzz is a HUGE part of Mr. Football whether fair or not.

Here we go talking about "buzz" and whatever other adjective you want to use. This is supposed to be for the best football player in Kentucky and not the one who has the best PR person. This is why this award and the all state teams are an absolute joke. IMO Beau Hoge has put up better numbers than virtually anyone in the state this year including Sindelar. Caldwell County competition is not near what Highlands competition has been this year. But then again I am sure he would be happy with another ring on his finger than some made up award based upon who does or does not know me.

Here we go talking about "buzz" and whatever other adjective you want to use. This is supposed to be for the best football player in Kentucky and not the one who has the best PR person. This is why this award and the all state teams are an absolute joke. IMO Beau Hoge has put up better numbers than virtually anyone in the state this year including Sindelar. Caldwell County competition is not near what Highlands competition has been this year. But then again I am sure he would be happy with another ring on his finger than some made up award based upon who does or does not know me.

Well if it is for best, Harris without a doubt and it is not even close.

I am not saying he doesn't deserve it. Don't mistake that for what I am saying at all.

What I am saying is that I doubt he wins it.

Hogue has a much better chance then Venneman. He is on his way to Air Force, he plays QB for possibly the best team in the state in all classes, and his dad is on ESPN.

But to overlook the fact that name recognition and buzz isn't a major part of Mr. Football is naive.

Prime Example:

If I said Austin Hatfield should be one of the front runners what would you say as your first reaction?

Austin Hatfield is bar none the best FB in the State of Kentucky and has led Belfry on his shoulders to 3 Straight Championship games while he was the starter. He was the Finals MVP last year and would have been in 2012 had Belfry held on to win in OT. If Belfry wins this year the odds are good Hatfield will be the MVP of the game. He will finish with nearly 1500 rushing yards this season from the Fullback position. Do you think Hatfield will even get a single vote? Of course not. He is in the midst of a very successful season for a team who may win Back to back State Titles... his career achievements may not even be rivaled by even the Highlands guys (which says a lot)... but he will not win Mr. Football or even be in the running. His name recognition isn't there and he plays an overlooked position.