Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mr. Basketball ?

Featured Replies

bballfan42...... I agree...... some criterion needs to be laid out.

 

As far as the title only going to teams in the sweet 16........ I would say no, because you can still be a top team in the state all season long and not make the tourney. Scott Co. for example.

  • Replies 73
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There may be a few other players JUST AS deserving...... but to say that Walt Allen ISNT deserving or IS LESS deserving blows my mind.

 

As far as the comment that Allen would have won the award last year, but not this year. That makes no sense. Mr. Basketball isnt a yearly award..... if it was it would go to any player of any age. Just because Allen was more impressive last year then this year doesnt mean he isnt deserving. He still had a heck of a seaon this year.

 

The sad thing is that most ppl will only remember his last game in which he performed badly.

I'll give you 100 to 1 odds that it will go to Slaughter

 

Hey I dont want to gamble on it. Its just my opinion. Besides I think Bookmaking is illegal in the high school forums

The problem is, that there are no stedfast and consistent criteria for Mr. Basketball. Nobody knows how they are picked. Stats? Won/Loss record?

How far team advanced? How far the team went the year before? College potential? Who knows?

 

By the term itself, MR. Basketball, seems to leave TEAM out of the equation. I would like to know how many Mr. Basketballs of the past averaged scoring less than 20 points per game.

It seems that Mr. Basketball, by name, is an individual honor, not based on team performance but individual performance. I wouldn't think that it would be based on college potential because it deals with one particular and previous year. But again, since there are no standards, we can only leave it up to a group of individuals with individual and different ideas as to what it takes to be Mr. Basketball.

Are you sure that there is no criteria for Mr/Miss Basketball? I do know that Head Coaches are polled. It has to be a graduating Senior in good standing with at least two years of Ky high school basketball to their resume. I am not sure about record requirements or personal traits. I would say that no future expectations are considered. Anyone have any more insite?

My vote goes to Walt Allen. In My Opinion Walt Allen is what Kentucky High School Basketball is about. He is the definition of a true competitor. I have never met Walt but over the past 2 years I have grown a great appreciation for him. What he does after basketball games, when he brings the two teams together is the most sportsman like think I've ever seen. On the court he is respected and respectable. After the Finals tonight, he recieved a award and it was well deserved. After he accepted the award he walked over to the J-Town bench and shook hands and gave hugs to every player from J-Town. He deserves the award and Kentucky should be honored to give it to such a fine young man like Walt. Either way, Congratulations to Walt Allen on such a successful career at South Laurel. From the NKY fans, we salute you.

Agreed:ylsuper: :ylsuper:

Walt Allen to me is just such a class act kid...He is a great ball player, and he will get is share of the votes..

Rough week, had 3 on Friday as far as I can remember, but it was the best 3 icecreams I'd ever had.

 

Walt Allen, hes classy, won region, played well all season(yeah i know except for that last game), good numbers on a goodteam and has a State Championship MVP on his resume' , noone else in the state can match that eventhough they might had a little better numbers or even might even have better colleges to choose , anyone else put all those factors together consistanly except him this year.

Walt Allen because of the total young man he is on and off the court would get my vote. But I also am very biased as he is from my 'neck of the woods'! Slaughter is an amazing athlete!

Mr. Basketball is not a lifetime achievment award. It is not even a high school achievment award. It is suppose to be given to the player who was the best SENIOR in the state. So what Allen did as a junior should not be looked at when determing whom to vote for. These are the guidelines when voting. Mr Basketball is suppose to be a one year thing, not a four year thing. That is why KY only allows seniors to win. (I know because I have a vote and read the guidleines every year) That being said I think Walt Allen will win the award based on what he did last year, but I do not think he is more deserving than Slaughter. Slaughter is the better of the two players IMO, but I think Allen will win. Both are stand up individuals and will make the state proud so it's not a huge deal. Good luck to both

has anyone heard where Allen is looking to go to college?

has anyone heard where Allen is looking to go to college?

 

Already signed with a smaller school, I think D2. Did it before the season started.

I have no knock on Allen but think that Slaughter is just more deserving and a better overall player.. In my mind MR. Basketball goes to best player and that is Slaughter in my mind... Allen is a great player, just not the best IMO...

Mr. Basketball is not a lifetime achievment award. It is not even a high school achievment award. It is suppose to be given to the player who was the best SENIOR in the state. So what Allen did as a junior should not be looked at when determing whom to vote for. These are the guidelines when voting. Mr Basketball is suppose to be a one year thing, not a four year thing. That is why KY only allows seniors to win. (I know because I have a vote and read the guidleines every year) That being said I think Walt Allen will win the award based on what he did last year, but I do not think he is more deserving than Slaughter. Slaughter is the better of the two players IMO, but I think Allen will win. Both are stand up individuals and will make the state proud so it's not a huge deal. Good luck to both

 

That makes completely no logical sense.

 

You can be the best SENIOR in the state, but not neccessarily have the best senior season.

 

If it was a one year award then, logically, the award would go to any grade player who had the best season that year. I know in other states it is like that and several players win Mr. Basketball several times.

 

Just because it goes to ONLY seniors doesnt mean it is a one year award based on someones senior season, it just means you have to be a senior to win it.

 

To say that the vote should not take into consideration a players entire career, yet the award goes only to seniors, is nuts. I would think that the reason the award goes only to seniors is because it allows a player to play his entire career, and then a good choice can me made.

 

You are telling me that a player starts 4 years on a great team and is unbelievable...... and then another player comes out of nowhere his senior year, has an equally impressive senior season that is just a tad bit better then the 4 year starter........ and the player that came out of nowhere wins the award.

 

I dont care if you have a vote or not..... that is crazy.

I think Mr Basketball should not be for seniors only. I think a true 'Mr Basketball' award should go to the best player, regardless of class, in the state. If not, we should call it 'Mr Senior Basketball'.

That makes completely no logical sense.

 

You can be the best SENIOR in the state, but not neccessarily have the best senior season.

 

If it was a one year award then, logically, the award would go to any grade player who had the best season that year. I know in other states it is like that and several players win Mr. Basketball several times.

 

Just because it goes to ONLY seniors doesnt mean it is a one year award based on someones senior season, it just means you have to be a senior to win it.

 

To say that the vote should not take into consideration a players entire career, yet the award goes only to seniors, is nuts. I would think that the reason the award goes only to seniors is because it allows a player to play his entire career, and then a good choice can me made.

 

You are telling me that a player starts 4 years on a great team and is unbelievable...... and then another player comes out of nowhere his senior year, has an equally impressive senior season that is just a tad bit better then the 4 year starter........ and the player that came out of nowhere wins the award.

 

I dont care if you have a vote or not..... that is crazy.

I agree with you. Why do they announce frontrunners for the award if the prior years don't matter. Do you think the level of competition the candidates played against should be taken in consideration?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.