Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mr. Basketball ?

Featured Replies

IMO A.J. Slaugter, when do they announce this?

 

p.s. Big Zig, just an estimation, how many ice cream cones do you think you and batters box had over the four day's?

  • Replies 73
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO A.J. Slaugter, when do they announce this?

 

p.s. Big Zig, just an estimation, how many ice cream cones do you think you and batters box had over the four day's?

 

Let's do the math.

For the 1st two days, lets say 2 per session each= 16

Then slowing down say 1 per session on Friday = 4

Maybe a little early for Sat. Session so a pass on SAT. AM = 0

For the Grand Finale Sat. Evening 1 each could sneak a 2nd= 2 possibly 4

Total 22 Maybe 24

Between 2 Guys that alot of Ice Cream

  • Author

No disrespect to Mr. Allen--I think he'll have a solid college career--but as far as Mr.Basketball, IMO he doesn't hold a candle to Slaughter. I have no alliegence to Slaughter, I just think he's the real deal.

No disrespect to Mr. Allen--I think he'll have a solid college career--but as far as Mr.Basketball, IMO he doesn't hold a candle to Slaughter. I have no alliegence to Slaughter, I just think he's the real deal.

 

Slaughter has the fastest set of hands I've seen in a while..

No disrespect to Mr. Allen--I think he'll have a solid college career--but as far as Mr.Basketball, IMO he doesn't hold a candle to Slaughter. I have no alliegence to Slaughter, I just think he's the real deal.

 

We have had this debate before.

 

Mr. Basketball has nothing to do with college potential or athleticism. It has nothing to do with stats. It has to do with being the best High Schoolbasketball player in the state. All 3 of those things may or may not be a reflection of whether you are the best HS player in the state.

 

I think all 3 of those things (athletic ability, college potential, stats) are important to being a great basketball player; but you can have all 3 of those and not be the best High School basketball player. On the other hand, you can have little of all 3 of those, and still be a great High School basketball player.

 

Slaughter is great, and a deserving candidate. He is obviously the superior athlete when compared to Allen, has more college potential then Allen, and may have better stats (not sure).

 

Allen however IMO is the better HS basketball player.

#1 reason why.......... he has played extremely well on the biggest stage against the best competition, as well as won the biggest game on the biggest stage in KY HS basketball. He was "the" key contributor in that run. #2 reason why........ he has had an unbelievable career and his leadership and basketball ability are a huge reason why South Laurel has made its climb into the upper echelon of KY HS basketball.

#3 reason why.......... he is the MVP of one of the states best teams. No one has meant more to their team then Allen has meant to SL. Sure some ppl will argue that Allen doesnt mean that much to SL. However, if you take Allen off of SL's team last season they dont win a championship. You take Allen off of SL's team this season they probably dont even make it to the big dance.

^^^From what I hear Cavette dominated Allen, and from what I saw Slaughter could not be stopped.

^^^From what I hear Cavette dominated Allen, and from what I saw Slaughter could not be stopped.

 

So I guess we should base Mr. Basketball on the comparison of 1 game. :rolleyes:

 

Cavette didnt dominate Allen. Graves did not play a man to man defense with Cavette guarding Allen.

 

Graves entire team contained Allen very good, but the big reason Allen didnt play well had less to do with Graves defense and more to do with the fact that, for some reason, he didnt show up. He missed several free throws and wide open lay ups, which is completely uncharacteristic of him.

 

All that is besides the point. If we are going to give Mr. Basketball award based on 1 game then I think it should be a game MVP award.

Anyone who says Allen is the best senior in the state hasn't made it to many games. He isn't the best player on his team (Proffit). He wasn't the best senior in the state tournament (Crutcher and Slaughter).

He had a very poor state tournament this year, as a senior.

He is a very solid all around player but in no way is the best senior in the state.

 

1. Slaughter

2. Crutcher

We have had this debate before.

 

Mr. Basketball has nothing to do with college potential or athleticism. It has nothing to do with stats. It has to do with being the best High Schoolbasketball player in the state. All 3 of those things may or may not be a reflection of whether you are the best HS player in the state.

 

I think all 3 of those things (athletic ability, college potential, stats) are important to being a great basketball player; but you can have all 3 of those and not be the best High School basketball player. On the other hand, you can have little of all 3 of those, and still be a great High School basketball player.

 

Slaughter is great, and a deserving candidate. He is obviously the superior athlete when compared to Allen, has more college potential then Allen, and may have better stats (not sure).

 

Allen however IMO is the better HS basketball player.

#1 reason why.......... he has played extremely well on the biggest stage against the best competition, as well as won the biggest game on the biggest stage in KY HS basketball. He was "the" key contributor in that run. #2 reason why........ he has had an unbelievable career and his leadership and basketball ability are a huge reason why South Laurel has made its climb into the upper echelon of KY HS basketball.

#3 reason why.......... he is the MVP of one of the states best teams. No one has meant more to their team then Allen has meant to SL. Sure some ppl will argue that Allen doesnt mean that much to SL. However, if you take Allen off of SL's team last season they dont win a championship. You take Allen off of SL's team this season they probably dont even make it to the big dance.

 

Called this upset, Allen had a bad game and they go home early.

I agree with ya though:thumb:

I haven't seen too much high school basketball this year (busy with our prep team at MMI) but the better players I have seen, in order are:

 

Crutcher (PRP)

Slaughter (Shelby County)

Elliott (Pendleton County)

Allen (South Laurel)

Knowles (Clark County)

 

These are just from performances I have seen. In no way am I proposing that these guys may even be in the running for Mr Basketball. Just my humble opinion.

 

DAVE

Antonio Owens has got to be a candidate.

Led the state in scoring,also won mvp at

the east and west game.

We have had this debate before.

 

Mr. Basketball has nothing to do with college potential or athleticism. It has nothing to do with stats. It has to do with being the best High Schoolbasketball player in the state. All 3 of those things may or may not be a reflection of whether you are the best HS player in the state.

 

I think all 3 of those things (athletic ability, college potential, stats) are important to being a great basketball player; but you can have all 3 of those and not be the best High School basketball player. On the other hand, you can have little of all 3 of those, and still be a great High School basketball player.

 

Slaughter is great, and a deserving candidate. He is obviously the superior athlete when compared to Allen, has more college potential then Allen, and may have better stats (not sure).

 

Allen however IMO is the better HS basketball player.

#1 reason why.......... he has played extremely well on the biggest stage against the best competition, as well as won the biggest game on the biggest stage in KY HS basketball. He was "the" key contributor in that run. #2 reason why........ he has had an unbelievable career and his leadership and basketball ability are a huge reason why South Laurel has made its climb into the upper echelon of KY HS basketball.

#3 reason why.......... he is the MVP of one of the states best teams. No one has meant more to their team then Allen has meant to SL. Sure some ppl will argue that Allen doesnt mean that much to SL. However, if you take Allen off of SL's team last season they dont win a championship. You take Allen off of SL's team this season they probably dont even make it to the big dance.

 

The problem is, that there are no stedfast and consistent criteria for Mr. Basketball. Nobody knows how they are picked. Stats? Won/Loss record?

How far team advanced? How far the team went the year before? College potential? Who knows?

 

By the term itself, MR. Basketball, seems to leave TEAM out of the equation. I would like to know how many Mr. Basketballs of the past averaged scoring less than 20 points per game.

It seems that Mr. Basketball, by name, is an individual honor, not based on team performance but individual performance. I wouldn't think that it would be based on college potential because it deals with one particular and previous year. But again, since there are no standards, we can only leave it up to a group of individuals with individual and different ideas as to what it takes to be Mr. Basketball.

Antonio Owens has got to be a candidate.

Led the state in scoring,also won mvp at

the east and west game.

 

:thumb: Got to agree with you there Tiny. I was happy for him to show what he can do at a big game like the East/West All Star game.

I have to agree that Crutcher and Slaughter were both better players in the sweet 16 and Proffit, and maybe even Smith, were better players for SL in the tourney... When times got tought Proffitt was the one they rode, not Allen... Proffitt did look like a Mr. Basketball candidate... Allen didn't... and before you say you can't base it one one bad tourney game, the problem is that is what everyone is going to remember first so you have to take that into account...

 

Cavette handled Allen... Actually I am fairly certain that the matchup of bigs that I would have liked to see and didn't was Cavette vs. Crutcher because Cavette had trouble finishing around the bucket sometimes but mastered the short J while Crutcher was unstoppable in the lane but it looked like the short J's with a hand in the face caused him some discomfort... Proffitt was the best shooter I saw this week, but I think Slaughter was the best all around player...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.