Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mr. Basketball ?

Featured Replies

Whether you look at the Senior year only, or entire career, it makes no difference to me.

 

If Mr. Basketball is the award for "Best Senior Basketball Player in the State of Kentucky" I would have to vote for Slaughter.

 

If it is for the Senior that is a good player and great kid, getting the absolute most out of the ability that God gave him, with excellent sportsmanship - I'd have to vote for Walt Allen.

 

Walt may be the best kid playing basketball in KY, but I don't believe he's the best basketball player. JMO

 

But with that being said...I sure hope that he wins it! :D

  • Replies 73
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Basketball is not a lifetime achievment award. It is not even a high school achievment award. It is suppose to be given to the player who was the best SENIOR in the state. So what Allen did as a junior should not be looked at when determing whom to vote for. These are the guidelines when voting. Mr Basketball is suppose to be a one year thing, not a four year thing. That is why KY only allows seniors to win. (I know because I have a vote and read the guidleines every year) That being said I think Walt Allen will win the award based on what he did last year, but I do not think he is more deserving than Slaughter. Slaughter is the better of the two players IMO, but I think Allen will win. Both are stand up individuals and will make the state proud so it's not a huge deal. Good luck to both

There are over 600 Ballots sent out to vote on Mr./Miss Basketball. Those ballots go to head basketball coaches. I would assume that Mr. Basketball is open for interpretation. Great Senior basketball player to represent the State? Graduation, Good Character, Prolific scorer? Where do you get your guidelines from? There have been a few disappointments in recent years. Don't think everyone was following the guidelines.

So I guess we should base Mr. Basketball on the comparison of 1 game. :rolleyes:

 

Cavette didnt dominate Allen. Graves did not play a man to man defense with Cavette guarding Allen.

 

Graves entire team contained Allen very good, but the big reason Allen didnt play well had less to do with Graves defense and more to do with the fact that, for some reason, he didnt show up. He missed several free throws and wide open lay ups, which is completely uncharacteristic of him.

 

All that is besides the point. If we are going to give Mr. Basketball award based on 1 game then I think it should be a game MVP award.

What I said was more of a response to what you said about performing on the biggest stage of your life, where, during his SENIOR season, he had an off game.

Anyone who says Allen is the best senior in the state hasn't made it to many games. He isn't the best player on his team (Proffit). He wasn't the best senior in the state tournament (Crutcher and Slaughter).

He had a very poor state tournament this year, as a senior.

He is a very solid all around player but in no way is the best senior in the state.

 

1. Slaughter

2. Crutcher

 

I agree with your 1st and 2nd spot picks, but disagree with your comment about Proffit better than Allen.

 

Allen is a workhorse, I would have loved to see the kid on every team of mine. He does so many small things that results in big things.

I agree with you. Why do they announce frontrunners for the award if the prior years don't matter. Do you think the level of competition the candidates played against should be taken in consideration?

 

I think level of competition should be factored in. I mean in order to be the best dont you have to play against the best.

What I said was more of a response to what you said about performing on the biggest stage of your life, where, during his SENIOR season, he had an off game.

 

Gotcha. However last season he balled out, and he didnt play a bad first game.

I agree with your 1st and 2nd spot picks, but disagree with your comment about Proffit better than Allen.

 

Allen is a workhorse, I would have loved to see the kid on every team of mine. He does so many small things that results in big things.

 

I'd have to agree.

 

What makes Allen a great player cant neccessarily be found in a stat line or game report. Hustle, heart, leadership, sportsmanship........ all these things Allen is the best in, and too say that they dont count when considering who is the best basketball player really shows us why sports is in a decline.

 

The best player isnt always the guy who can shoot the best, or handle the ball the best, or etc etc etc.

If I were voting I would give it to Walt Allen but I am bias because he is local and such a great guy, teammate, leader, ect. He is like Chuck Hayes was for UK last year. He's not the most talented (great player but not like some others) but his importance to his team is uncomparable. He is the glue that kept South Laurel together and a leader both on and off the court. He is very deserving if he shall get the votes.

IMO A.J. Slaugter, when do they announce this?

 

p.s. Big Zig, just an estimation, how many ice cream cones do you think you and batters box had over the four day's?

 

Well Wildcat Legend I broke my previous years record by 1 eating 17 soft serve ice cream cones. 5 each the 1st 2 days, 4 on Friday and 3 on Saturday. As for battersbox he still has a ways to go when it comes to eating ice cream and going cone for cone with the BigZig. I believe he left Lexington in the single digits.

 

P.S. It was good to meet you and the rest of the Gallatin Cty Gang. Good group of people and we will see you at the Gallatin Steel Classic next season if not before.

I personally want Walt Allen to be Mr. Basketball but AJ Slaughter is the best player in the state. Also Why isn't Maze Stallworth getting mentioned I thought he was one of the favorites, His team get get to Rupp.

Pat Elliot should be a candidate for Mr. Basketball. Antonio Owens...He is amazing. I was there at the All-Star game, he put on a show, whit 2 dunks. He should also be a candidate. As far as A.J. Slaughter he is unbelieveable. The best high school dunk I've seen in KY, Off The Backboard. But overall Pat Elliot should be at least runner-up.

Sorry, but you have to be the best player on your team (unless of course O.J. is on your team as a jr and you are a sr.). But anyway that disqualifies Walt Allen, Ty Proffit is better.

 

Anyway I have't seen Owens but I would vote for Slaughter 1 and Crutcher 2. From what I have heard Buckner and Owens shouldn't be too far behind.

Sorry, but you have to be the best player on your team (unless of course O.J. is on your team as a jr and you are a sr.). But anyway that disqualifies Walt Allen, Ty Proffit is better.

 

Anyway I have't seen Owens but I would vote for Slaughter 1 and Crutcher 2. From what I have heard Buckner and Owens shouldn't be too far behind.

 

I agree, but isn't Proffit a Jr.?

 

I think it should be a toss up between Slaughter and Crutcher but in all reality Allen will probably be the front runner.

I agree, but isn't Proffit a Jr.?

 

I think it should be a toss up between Slaughter and Crutcher but in all reality Allen will probably be the front runner.

 

Yes he's a jr. and will be a canidate next year.

I'd have to agree.

 

What makes Allen a great player cant neccessarily be found in a stat line or game report. Hustle, heart, leadership, sportsmanship........ all these things Allen is the best in, and too say that they dont count when considering who is the best basketball player really shows us why sports is in a decline.

 

The best player isnt always the guy who can shoot the best, or handle the ball the best, or etc etc etc.

Walt Allen will be a breath of fresh air as Mr. Basketball compared to last years recipient.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.