Johnson Central 42 Ashland 7

JDEaston

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I pointed this out in that game thread. Matney has deserved some bad opinions of him for some things in the past but at some point its just head hunting on here.

That's just how society is. When you make bad choices over and over, it takes a long long time before you are given the benefit of doubt by most people. Like it or not, that's just the way it is. I have my opinion on the play, but I don't know the idealism behind it from his perspective. That said, given his past with things like this, why would I think anything dofferent?

The one thing I will say about Matney that gets lost in people's views of him. I am sure some will take me to task or write this off, but here is my piece from someone outside of the JC program that has followed them closely for years.

Typically when any of these brew up.. the common theme is Matney putting his individual player first. In this instance he wanted to give his kid a school record. He made everyone mad when he tried to give the same kid a state record with a loophole to a rule many of us didn't know existed. He brought people in arms with how he handled the JJ Jude situation trying to get him in the record books.

I think it is real easy for people to paint the broad strokes of him being an egomaniac and "classless", but in honesty I think he doesn't care. What drives him from my viewpoint is winning games and empowering his players. To an extent..I actually admire that. JJ Jude for all intents of purposes looked just like hundreds of other EKY RB's who came before him. Average measurables, average size, not blessed with the genetic lottery, playing in a rural area with little to no media exposure. Were the things Matney did to get his player noticed excessive and lacking in what we view as traditional sportsmanship? Absolutely! At the same time at the end of the day J.J. Jude went on to earn a college scholarship and was a household name across the state. His name was all over the Herald Leader, threads each week tracked how many yards he got and what Matney had done to get them.... but at the end of the day Matney got his player to college.

What he is doing with Tyler Pack is no different. He is trying to get his kid noticed, get him in the record books, and get him a full ride. Kickers are a tough gig to earn a scholarship. Every college has room for skill guys...but most colleges dont even offer kickers. Much like colleges take undersized HB's regularly..but they don't take averaged sized HB's from rural areas.

Do I stand her and let Matney off the hook for all he says, does, or the creative ways he comes up with to keep the message boards up in arms? Of course not...

But I also don't think he is exactly the monster people want to make him out to be. In fact..I think some would be surprised at what your reaction to him would be if he were your coach and your kid might be playing for him. For all his faults what you undeniably can say about him is he loves coaching football, he stands up for his kids, he tries to get his kids to college, and he could care less what other people view him as but he does care how they view his players.

I'll get off my soap box now on this subject.

I am currently an Ashalnd fan and I will tell you this, if you think this is wrong and you dont want it to happen again, stop whining and do something about it. I appreciate the Raceland repsect and support but the bottom line is that this is the weakest JC team in the last 5 years and they kicked our tail. Rather than whine about the play calling at the end of games, we better be trying to figure out do we acutally have the talent that people think and if so why are we so bad? It is time to stop being the Rocky that is soft and gets his tail beat by Clubber Lang and start being the Rocky that goes to the ratty gym and outworks Clubber and then stands toe to toe and wins.

I am currently an Ashalnd fan and I will tell you this, if you think this is wrong and you dont want it to happen again, stop whining and do something about it. I appreciate the Raceland repsect and support but the bottom line is that this is the weakest JC team in the last 5 years and they kicked our tail. Rather than whine about the play calling at the end of games, we better be trying to figure out do we acutally have the talent that people think and if so why are we so bad? It is time to stop being the Rocky that is soft and gets his tail beat by Clubber Lang and start being the Rocky that goes to the ratty gym and outworks Clubber and then stands toe to toe and wins.

Awesome

A Rocky comparison.

Lit ratings came out today.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2, colspan: 2]Top 20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]1.Male (9-0)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]127.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]2.Scott County (8-1)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]124.6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]3.St. Xavier (6-3)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]124.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]4.Trinity (5-4)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]122.4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]5.Manual (6-3)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]119.6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]6.Bowling Green (8-1)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]116.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]7.Dixie Heights (8-1)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]115.7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]8.Simon Kenton (9-1)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]114.7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]9.Henry Clay (7-2)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]114.6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]10.Johnson Central (9-0)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]114.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]11.Highlands (7-2)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]114.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]12.Pulaski County (8-1)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]112.8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]13.Bryan Station (6-3)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]110.8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]14.Lafayette (7-3)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]109.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]15.Christian Academy (9-0)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]109.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]16.South Warren (9-0)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]108.4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]17.Belfry (8-1)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]108.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]18.McCracken County (8-1)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]107.4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]19.Owensboro Catholic (9-1)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]106.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]20.Covington Catholic (5-4)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]105.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

As usual, spoken with dignity and class. And also as usual, I agree 100%.

I am currently an Ashalnd fan and I will tell you this' date=' if you think this is wrong and you dont want it to happen again, stop whining and do something about it. I appreciate the Raceland repsect and support but the bottom line is that this is the weakest JC team in the last 5 years and they kicked our tail. Rather than whine about the play calling at the end of games, we better be trying to figure out do we acutally have the talent that people think and if so why are we so bad? It is time to stop being the Rocky that is soft and gets his tail beat by Clubber Lang and start being the Rocky that goes to the ratty gym and outworks Clubber and then stands toe to toe and wins.[/quote']

The talent may be lacking a little, but there is plenty of talent there. Two RB's that have 4.3 speed, one of which will be playing in the SEC, the other will likely be a D1 athlete also.

As far as the problem, I'm not a coach or a psychic, so your guess is as good as mine. But there is definetly a problem. I can think of numerous things that come to mind, but I can't say for sure that those things are the issue. I do believe there is enough talent to have played much better than they have this season though.

One other thing, I was out of town when Q committed to UK and haven't found a thread about it yet. Just wanted to say congrats to him and thank you to him, as a UK fan.

The talent may be lacking a little, but there is plenty of talent there. Two RB's that have 4.3 speed, one of which will be playing in the SEC, the other will likely be a D1 athlete also.

As far as the problem, I'm not a coach or a psychic, so your guess is as good as mine. But there is definetly a problem. I can think of numerous things that come to mind, but I can't say for sure that those things are the issue. I do believe there is enough talent to have played much better than they have this season though.

One other thing, I was out of town when Q committed to UK and haven't found a thread about it yet. Just wanted to say congrats to him and thank you to him, as a UK fan.

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/quinton-baker-commits-289474.html

Lit ratings came out today.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2, colspan: 2]Top 20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]1.Male (9-0)[/TD]

[TD=class: small2, align: right]127.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small2]2.Scott County (8-1)[/TD]